bicycle stand for garage/shed

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
malverncyclist

bicycle stand for garage/shed

Post by malverncyclist »

I have finally remodelled my shed and am thinking of how to store my two bikes (the folder is never a problem). There are plenty of stands around, any thoughts on what is good/works in a reasonably confined space?

Have seen this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-Cycle-Floor-Bristol-Company/dp/B004Z7F356/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1330523004&sr=8-12 - anything else reasonably useful and secure you know of? My bikes are 700c road/commuter bikes.

thanks

Martin
thirdcrank

Re: bicycle stand for garage/shed

Post by thirdcrank »

In the language of cycle stands, those are butterflies, a style recognised by even the ministry of transport as being in chocolate teapot territory.
malverncyclist

Post by malverncyclist »

In the language of cycle stands, those are butterflies, a style recognised by even the ministry of transport as being in chocolate teapot territory.

so in my language that means they are no good??? :shock:

Martin
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I'd fix a rail across above head height, put rope loops on it, and hook the saddles into the loops. Adjust loop length so the back wheel is just off the ground.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I bought one of these some years ago. Wonderful thing.
I can store the bike in the bike shed - spare bedroom! without leaning it on anything.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/min ... d-ec019056
Mick F. Cornwall
malverncyclist

Post by malverncyclist »

is that for one or two bikes???
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, you'd need one each.

The bottom hook is for the chainstay and the top one for the seatstay. It holds the bike steady with the wheel of the ground. Actually, it's good for maintenance too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I have equipped my bike shed with plastic coated hooks (on the underside of a beam) so that the bikes can be hung up by the front wheel or rear wheel. Works a treat.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PW

Post by PW »

Cheapskate solution, a row of small nails along the shed wall top beam, hook the front wheel/bars to it via bungee straps and leave the back wheel on the floor, possibly with a brick or something to scotch it. Takes no space, costs now't ant the bikes are easy to get down when you want to use them.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

malverncyclist wrote:

so in my language that means they are no good??? :shock:

Martin

They are very popular with architects (or their underlings) who provide "cycle parking" to quotas because they are cheap and each takes up little space. There is a Traffic Advisory Leaflet about cycle parking which makes the point that cyclists will ignore them, preferring instead to use informal parking like railings. The reason that cyclists tend to ignore them is that there is a real risk of spoke damage.

I'm not clear whether security or storing the bikes out of the way is your priority. If it's security, there are various ground anchors available. I use plastic-coated hooks screwed directly into the garage ceiling joists - as recommended by Brucey above - but I repend on the garage door for my security (it's an integral garage.)
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Mick F wrote:No, you'd need one each.

The bottom hook is for the chainstay and the top one for the seatstay. It holds the bike steady with the wheel of the ground. Actually, it's good for maintenance too.

Same product, effectively, for £9.99... http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ccessories
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I made a simple wooden rack. It has two horizontals, one on the floor and one about 800mm above it both spaced about 200mm from the wall. For each bike I fastened two vertical strips from the top horizontal to the bottom one. The spacing between the verticals is enough to fit a front wheel between them. For completeness, though not really necessary, I have nailed two strips of wood to the floor leading the wheel into position and also keeping the back wheel in line.
malverncyclist

Post by malverncyclist »

I made a simple wooden rack.

Hi

can you send me a photo, please? To answer other questions - I am not after security (reasonably secure door) but storage without bike(s) falling down/getting knocked about. I do have wooden rafters which could provide the hook and rope solution, but something has to sit on the floor for my day2day use bike and yours sounds like a useful solution (and I have quite a bit of spare wood that could be turned into a stand).

thanks

Martin
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

A lot of Shops use this type of stand for dsiplaying bike thet are not much use as a security device though but asan easy way of staning bikes they are ok. If you have limited space some of the other idea here are much better such as hanging by the front wheel.
NUKe

Post by robc02 »

can you send me a photo, please?

These give the general idea of it:
The black bike's wheel is in a gap that was originally meant for MTB tyres, but it still works. Generally it's better if the gap is just a bit wider than the tyre.

Shedrack1.jpg
Shedrack2.jpg