Camping towel

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
ANTONISH

Camping towel

Post by ANTONISH »

A few years ago I bought an item which claimed to be light and very absorbent. It was light, but it's absorbancy left a lot to be desired. Are there any suggestions for this?
alicej

Re: Camping towel

Post by alicej »

I actually prefer to take a tea towel rather than those special microfibre camping towels, I want a bit of abrasion in my towel! Can't effectively scrub off the top layer of skin and muck with microfibre, which is what I want to do if I'm going to go a few days at a time without washing.

At a pinch newspaper works fairly well and can just be thrown away so doesn't add to the weight you carry, plus you don't need to mess around trying to get it dry.
johnb

Post by johnb »

The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

I have just ordered a small Sea to Summit Pocket Towel Size which is a microfibre material. Hopefully it will live up to the hype. I purchased it from Ultralight Outdoor Gear

Andrew
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

alicej wrote:I actually prefer to take a tea towel rather than those special microfibre camping towels, I want a bit of abrasion in my towel! Can't effectively scrub off the top layer of skin and muck with microfibre, which is what I want to do if I'm going to go a few days at a time without washing.

At a pinch newspaper works fairly well and can just be thrown away so doesn't add to the weight you carry, plus you don't need to mess around trying to get it dry.

Tea towel? that may well work - don't know about going a few days without washing and using a newspaper - doesn't the print come off? You probably venture into more extreme conditions than I'm used to.
Thanks Aushiker that looks promising - might try a small one plus a tea towel.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

ANTONISH wrote:
alicej wrote:I actually prefer to take a tea towel rather than those special microfibre camping towels, I want a bit of abrasion in my towel! Can't effectively scrub off the top layer of skin and muck with microfibre, which is what I want to do if I'm going to go a few days at a time without washing.

Tea towel? that may well work - don't know about going a few days without washing and using a newspaper - doesn't the print come off? You probably venture into more extreme conditions than I'm used to.
Thanks Aushiker that looks promising - might try a small one plus a tea towel.

Never mind, the printing ink - it's more the 'top layer of skin and muck' coming back off when I dry up the tea-set that'd worry me! :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
alicej

Post by alicej »

ANTONISH wrote:Tea towel? that may well work - don't know about going a few days without washing and using a newspaper - doesn't the print come off? You probably venture into more extreme conditions than I'm used to.

Or maybe I just have lower standards of hygeine :)
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I agree that most microfibre travel towels are a real compromise between weight and efficiency and feel like you are drying off with a square of chamois leather!

However, I have found a genuine alternative with the Trek Mates Soft Feel Travel Towel, which I've been using for a few years now. It folds up nice and small (comparatively, for what it is) is lightweight, but actually feels more like a towel when you use it.
johnb

Post by johnb »

Cycling, Camping and Durty women, this forum is getting better.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

alicej wrote:[Or maybe I just have lower standards of hygeine :)

I don't know about that - it's just that I attract enough flies already :( .
We probably worry about hygiene too much and I suspect you may go into wilder places where there isn't the option.
I did "sleep rough" a couple of times when I did Jogle. On one occasion I was disturbed by a man walking an Alsation- I suppose the dog scented something. :?
horizon

Post by horizon »

I just a take hand towel, usually one that's a bit worn and therefore a bit lighter. I agree with Alicej in that if really pushed I would take a tea towel but I still believe that there is distinct borderline between camping and hiking and this is probably it. But then we are into an argument about how light cycle camping should be.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I always take a flannel face cloth, which I find essential for scrubbing sun cream and dirt from my legs, but when wrung out also does 90% of the drying (I work on the assumption that most of the dirt gets washed away!). I then use a small (A4?) section of microfibre towel to finish off; this doesn't need to absorb much water, so I don't have too much wet stuff at the end of the shower.
kuba

Post by kuba »

I've used a couple of different microfiber towels in the past. This one is my favorite:

http://www.webtogs.co.uk/MSR_Packtowl_U ... aliteLarge

The only downside was that the hanger fell off after a few months (on mine, my partner's towel is still fine). That aside, no complaints. I've had it for around a year and used it on a two-month trip, so it seems durable. Also it is super light and packs very small, dries fast and doesn't smell too badly... I mean, it still smells a bit after a couple of weeks but is nonetheless the least smelly of all towels I've used! :wink:
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Thank you all for the good advice - especially the bit about using newspaper.
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

I agree with Andy B, it's a face cloth for me.
Drip dry for a minute or two and then dry off with the face cloth, wring it out hang it out to dry, perfect!