Family cycling in France

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
JNH

Family cycling in France

Post by JNH »

We are looking to holiday in France this summer. We will have our then nearly 4 year old with us - he's pretty confident and would manage 10 miles or so a day. We want to find a base, ideally a cottage complex where there would be possible company for him and near to off road family friendly cycling. We're drawing a blank when trying to search on the internet - just wondered if anyone had any experience/recommendations ?
We're in Devon so would probably be looking at ferrying from Plymouth or Poole.
johnb

Re: Family cycling in France

Post by johnb »

Had my kids here about ten years ago, we cycled everyday, they still talk about it.
http://www.campinglesmouettes.co.uk/
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

Try Breton bikes, based in Brittany. I went with my son a few years ago and found them very good, knowlegable and very helpful.
www.bretonbikes.com
Goosey

Post by Goosey »

How far south do you want to go?
JNH

Post by JNH »

Thanks for those - we'll have a look. They both look like real possibilities.
We were thinking max 3-4 hours drive from the ferry, but ideally would quite like to get into an area where we could get slightly more reliable weather. I'd love to go much further south but the drive puts me off a bit.
PW

Post by PW »

Check out the up to date publicity blurb from Britanny Ferries. They've always been a good firm in our experience and the area is good for an intro to foreign cycling. Friendly motorists, plenty of places of interest, choice of flat or hills, good beaches, nice summer weather etc. It's where we started way back when our kids were small and we never regretted it.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Have you looked at the French gites website? www.gites-de-france.com . The organisation covers the whole of France. There is an interactive map so that you can locate exactly where you are interested in going. (It's good to have a map handy with French departments on it as this is how the areas are referred to ). When you have located a gite or residence you are interested in there are internal and external views on the site. It's easy to book on line and the prices are reasonable.
You can choose to view the site in English if preferred.