Do I really need panniers?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jdudleyuk

Do I really need panniers?

Post by jdudleyuk »

I have a two week cycle ride coming up at the end of March

I've decided I 'need' new panniers... but then after reading about ultra-light cycling man, I figured I could just use a dry stuff sack and attach it with a bungee cord as he's done.

Our camping equipment is being split between myself and one other.
On the back I plan on having:
Evening clothes,
toiletries,
Plimsoles
Lock
Cycle clothes
Chargers, cables etc.

Everything else i need is going in the handlebar bag...
FA Kit
Micro-fiber towel
W/proof jacket
Camera
Spare phone
Chamois cream
Tools

Does this sound reasonable?
irc

Re: Do I really need panniers?

Post by irc »

Where are you carrying your sleeping bag?
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
jdudleyuk

Post by jdudleyuk »

I'm taking the tent and my friend is taking the bags...
Weighs the same, and worked well when cycling JOGLE.
Richard Barrett

Post by Richard Barrett »

i've done that for credit card touring, but don't know whether carrying camping gear might push the envelop a bit too far as you'll end up with a lot of weight high up on the bike and that may impair your handling. But I'd give it a try on a test ride
horizon

Post by horizon »

If you can fit whatever you need to feel comfortable into your bar bag and stuff sack then all you need is ... a stuff sack and bar bag. Even now I don't why you're taking evening clothes, plimsolls and chamois cream. Toiletries need only consist of a bar of soap and a toothbrush. Spare phone? No phone.

Everything hangs on what you mean by camping. What did you take last time?

PS Lots of people carry stuff on their back ... once.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

horizon wrote:I don't why you're taking evening clothes... ...Toiletries need only consist of a bar of soap and a toothbrush
I agree. When I read evening clothes I keep picturing an evening suit, James Bond style, but I suppose that's not the plan. I'd investigate chopping the soap in half. Half a bar is lighter by approx 50%. I can't remember where or when the tour is but in France in summer, camping, flip flops are the thing rather than plimsoles, for use in some of the showers. About 100g a foot iirc and they work as strap-on fork protectors on the plane back!
jdudleyuk

Post by jdudleyuk »

Evening clothes come in handy for pubs etc...

Not essential but if I can fit them on the back of the bike, then would prefer to have them. Im by no means a glamper of any kind... But I would like to be lightweight and still enjoy the trip.
I guess it depends on what you feel is essential, useful or luxury.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I guess it depends on what you feel is essential, useful or luxury.

Exactly. But I think you were asking, would what I have decided to take mean using panniers?

If you are happy with what you are taking, then your question is where to put it. You don't need panniers since you could use the rear rack, a saddle bag and a bar bag. I would only add that many people choose not to use panniers because of the weight of the rack - if you keep the rack you've lost that advantage.

I think my reply is: anyway, what's wrong with panniers? (leaving trailers out of the argument for now!)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

jdudleyuk wrote:On the back I plan on having:

I suppose you mean the back of the bike, rather than the back of you.

I'd say panniers aren't required when touring, merely useful. If everything is strapped to a bag on top of the rack, it's a pain to get at.

I reckon a bag could be constructed to go on a bike without a rack. It would attach to the saddle and post, have some simple structure to keep it clear of the mudguard and brakes, and strapping might prevent it swaying. (Baggage that sways is seriously bad news.) It would probably weigh as much as panniers, but would save the weight of a rack. I doubt if it could carry the 20kg I can get in my panniers, or handle my usual 15kg touring load. It might be no more convenient than the larger type of saddle-bags.
julk

Post by julk »

No one has mentioned carrying food.

If you are making your own meals then you need somewhere to carry the food and drink which you will consume, spare space in panniers can be very useful for getting the shopping on route, especially if the camp site is well away from civilisation. Fresh food supplies can be heavy as well.
A stove, fuel and the odd pan may also be required.

If you are planning on eating out, then your luggage carrying looks well worth a try.
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

Water too! Can't speak for anyone else, but I like to try and keep a couple of 1.5 litre bottles of water on my rack at all times, especially in remoter areas.
horizon

Post by horizon »

julk wrote:No one has mentioned carrying food.

No, because the OP didn't. Really he was asking, how best to carry what I intend to take preferably without panniers. It's hard not to proffer more but there we are.
horizon

Post by horizon »

largeallan wrote:Water too! Can't speak for anyone else, but I like to try and keep a couple of 1.5 litre bottles of water on my rack at all times, especially in remoter areas.

As above.
daddig

Post by daddig »

Possible use Carradice Nelson LongFlap plus bagman,10kg max,with bar bag sufficient for what you need !
Mike G
subfusk

Post by subfusk »

Having learnt the hard way over 50 years of backpacking and cycle touring, I would cut the weight to the minimum for safety and basic comfort, spare phones! Lay your kit out, including food, fuel and water and the bags you are going to use then weigh each item. Total it up if it is to heavy work through each item, is it esentual or a luxury? Knife, fork and spoon? why not just a spoon, limit toiletries to what you need for hygeine and share where ever possible. Also one to wear one to wash is a good rule of thumb, most quick dry materials are very cheap now days. Even state of the art lightweight gear weighs something and it all adds up . Don't forget it will be you lugging it around. When you get back recheck your kit anything you didn't use that was not essential for safety or basic comfort leave out next time. Have a great trip. By the way thought about a gore tex bivi they are very light warm and great fun to use.

Light = fast, far and enjoyment!