CARRADICE BAGS WHICH ONE

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JINKY230

CARRADICE BAGS WHICH ONE

Post by JINKY230 »

Hi guys this is my first post,I am looking to purchasea carradice bag.I dont want to go too small when sometimes i will need more space.I will be using the bag for sportives when the weather gets bad,and I will need to carry a jacket tools some food etc.However i would like it to be big enough for long days out cycling with the wife where I have additional stuff like carrying her jacket as well (22) jackets along with a flask a packed lunch, camera, binoculars a couple of cups etc .I dont recon I will need it for overnight stays as I have vaude panniers.So if you can advice the correct size for me it would be grately appreciated thanks
hubgearfreak

Re: CARRADICE BAGS WHICH ONE

Post by hubgearfreak »

this is a barley, closed but with some stuff in it (pic. 2). carradice's site lists it at 9 litres. obviously it could easily take more than the contents laid out in the second picture if it had a bulging flap.

having said all that, i don't use it. the extra weight/expense of the larger ones are nothing to their occasional usefulness. you might stop at a farm shop and want some honey, you may decide to collect a sunday paper after a morning's ride, you may set off on a cold morning layered up and want to shed many of them at 2.00pm. the amount of times a small one will limit you is frustrating - i'd suggest that you buy the biggest there is

johnb

Post by johnb »

Super C Camper.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
Si

Post by Si »

Remember that they have loops on top - so you could get a medium sized one and if you need extra space on rare occasions just toe-strap a stuff sack to the top, or, indeed, just roll up your extra clothing and strap that to the top.

I went for the biggest on I could get (Longflap/camper?). When only about a quarter full the stuff inside does tend to move a round a bit (although that can be remedied with toe-straps again). The only real problem with using a larger one is the extra cost (and extra potential for uber-pongs if you don't dray out all the cotton duck after a downpour).
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

I have the Carradice Prima Maxi for long day rides. It's 7 litres and I can carry all the stuff the OP lists.

For two people, I think anything around 10 litres will be sufficient.
JINKY230

Post by JINKY230 »

guys thanks for the replies I recon my choice is down to
nelson longflap 18ltrs
lowsaddle longflap 15ltrs
I am under the impression that the longflap allows you extra space when you need it
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

There are some good photos here comparing the Barley to the Nelson (not the long flap version - this has an extra pair of straps and tucks underneath when not required but can be extended if you need to cram in lots of extra stuff.)

I don't think you would need the long flap capacity for what you have described in your first post, but on the other hand it doesn't add much to the price and might occasionally be a life-saver.
JINKY230

Post by JINKY230 »

lollykat I liked that link to the pics gives a true look of the different sizes,
bit confused now the barley looks bigger than I inticipated.
jake

Post by jake »

Are you completely sold on a saddlebag? If not then I can highly recommend the Super C rackbag. I use it for short credit card tours in Belgium/France and find it excellent. It's supposed to be 13 ltrs but it seems a fair bit bigger than that.
This is very helpful: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carradice.asp
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

JINKY230 wrote:lollykat I liked that link to the pics gives a true look of the different sizes,
bit confused now the barley looks bigger than I inticipated.

It is something to do with camera angles or focal length, I think. I have a Barley which is fine for one person but definitely too small for two, believe me! You don't want to pack stuff in so tight that food gets squashed and you can't get the straps undone and the camera out in a hurry. I occasionally regret not getting the slightly larger Pendle - I have a rear rack though so can overflow on to that.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

JINKY230 wrote:guys thanks for the replies I recon my choice is down to
nelson longflap 18ltrs
I am under the impression that the longflap allows you extra space when you need it

The Nelson Longflap is what I'd recommend.
The top flap has a section that normally folds under, but can be extended to allow extra stuff to be carried under the lid but outside the main body. You could get something up to the size of a rolled closed cell foam camping mat under the flap.
loafer

Post by loafer »

JINKY230 wrote:guys thanks for the replies I recon my choice is down to
nelson longflap 18ltrs

hi jinky
yes the longflap allows the extra space :D the flap is folded under and held in place with press studs i tuck the straps behind the wooden dowell ....it,s always nice to know the space is there if needed(you dont have to fill it) :lol:
larry
rattle fixer 001.jpg
rattle fixer 002.jpg
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

I have a Carradura Midi Saddlepack on my Bob Jackson, it never ceases to amaze me how much I can fit in there, certainly fine for club/day rides, especially if you're prepared to keep a folding waterproof in your jersey pocket.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

The long flap models seem like a good idea, but then the Barley (and perhaps other models) have bag loops on the lid so you can tie/bungee strap on another bag. That other bag would be a waterproof roll top bag. How much extra capacity is it possible to carry like that?
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

You could put a fair amount on the outside but it might not be very convenient. I find it depends a bit on the weather - when it is changeable and/or spring or autumn, I find myself stopping to put on/take off arm-warmers, leg-warmers, fleecy jacket, waterproof shell, waterproof leggings....you get the idea. If the OP has to take all that for his wife as well, then add "a flask a packed lunch, camera, binoculars a couple of cups etc.", not to mention tools and maybe a lock, I don't think a Barley would be big enough. A shame, because it is ideal for sportifs. Really he needs to get two, one for his wife, and make her carry her own stuff :twisted: .