Rear view mirrors?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Rear view mirrors?

Post by Mick F »

The Cateye one http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-bm-300g-race-mirror/ is absolutely AWFUL.
There is no way on God's earth that I could tighten it sufficiently to stop it moving when whizzing along. I tried modifying the clamp where is squeezes the ball, and even then it still moved.
The thing is only fit for the bin, and I'm glad I didn't pay much for it.

This one is perfect, and worth the extra money.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-mu ... prod16565/
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

This topic has been done to death on previous threads and yet every time it comes up more people join the chorus of those who wouldn't cycle without a mirror - and that's good for anyone visiting this forum for the first time as it spreads the message. I think it would have been better for the legislators to insist on a mirror being sold with every bike than pedal reflectors or a bell. In fact I would go as far to say that using a mirror actually changes the way you cycle and makes you much more assertive and much more able to relate to moving traffic.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
johnb

Post by johnb »

horizon wrote:This topic has been done to death on previous threads and yet every time it comes up more people join the chorus of those who wouldn't cycle without a mirror - and that's good for anyone visiting this forum for the first time as it spreads the message. I think it would have been better for the legislators to insist on a mirror being sold with every bike than pedal reflectors or a bell. In fact I would go as far to say that using a mirror actually changes the way you cycle and makes you much more assertive and much more able to relate to moving traffic.

I fully agree and that's why I didn't chirp in. A quick use of the search function will show a lot of threads.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

I must admit, I've never used a mirror for cycling as I've always thought them a bit of a gimmick. But after reading this thread and a few other similar topics on these forums I might have to give one a go. There seems to be lots of advantages to learning to use one correctly!

Thinking I'll probably order this one:

LollyKat wrote:.... for straight bars the Zefal Dooback.
ossie

Post by ossie »

easyroller wrote:I must admit, I've never used a mirror for cycling as I've always thought them a bit of a gimmick. But after reading this thread and a few other similar topics on these forums I might have to give one a go. There seems to be lots of advantages to learning to use one correctly!

Thinking I'll probably order this one:

LollyKat wrote:.... for straight bars the Zefal Dooback.

I never used one until a tour abroad last year where I felt it was invaluable on busy narrow mountain roads. For some reason Im never really comfortable looking over my left shoulder without a wobble happening :)
johnsie

Post by johnsie »

Helmet mounted gets my vote:

1) Only one required, no matter how many bikes you've got.

2) Can show a wide area if you move your head.

Best use: Knowing if traffic is approaching from behind before wobbling to turn around to have a proper look.
Screech like a Sirrus!
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Mick F wrote:The Cateye one http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-bm-300g-race-mirror/ is absolutely AWFUL.

I have one of these on each of my three bikes and have never had any problems. I usually fit a piece of old inner tube over fitting before inserting into the handlebars to make sure it's a nice tight fit. I have tried other mirrors but the Cateye is my choice
'Kernow bys Vyken'
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

Has anyone tries fitting a mirror to butterfly/trekking bars, & if so what mirror & how successful was it?
It's something I've been wanting to do for a while but all the mirrors I've seen are designed specifically for drop or straight bars.
julk

Post by julk »

Tacascarow wrote:Has anyone tries fitting a mirror to butterfly/trekking bars

The B&M Star Mirror mentioned by Lollykat comes with 2 fastening systems, 'bar end plug' and 'around the bar strap'.
The around the bar strap fastening will clamp anywhere convenient which you do not use for a handhold.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:The Cateye one http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-bm-300g-race-mirror/ is absolutely AWFUL.

Swallow wrote:I have one of these on each of my three bikes and have never had any problems. I usually fit a piece of old inner tube over fitting before inserting into the handlebars to make sure it's a nice tight fit. I have tried other mirrors but the Cateye is my choice
I had a thread on here about my mirror and one heck of a discussion about the awful Cateye mirror - mainly with Reohn2. :wink:

It fits perfectly. It goes in nicely and the screw tightens up well. It didn't need any padding to get a good fit.

The main problem - as I see it - is that the M4 Phillips securing screw only goes into a plastic expander cone. As the screw is tightened, it also clamps the ball-end pivot of the mirror. There is no way that a M4 Philips screw through the outer boss and into a bit of a plastic cone can exert enough force to hold the mirror tightly.

Initially, all seems fine, but get above 15mph in a wind and the mirror moves backwards. Further tightening of the screw achieves nothing as the system cannot provide enough grip because it flexes as you tighten.

My Bush and Muller mirror OTOH doesn't rely on the fitting inside the handlebar to give the grip to the adjusting joint as it is all part of the housing. The securing screw is Allen headed and secures with a wedge system, however the wedge does nothing towards the grip of the adjustment joint. Far better design - and gets my vote!

Cateye mirror - I still have it, and it's sitting on the coffee table as I type so I could describe it accurately.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here's the thread on the Cateye mirror:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53069
Mirror3.jpg

Excerpt from mid-thread:
Mick F wrote:Maybe not defective, but poorly made.

There is no way that the centre screw of only 4mm diameter with a crappy little head that screws into a cone-shaped bit of plastic can produce enough torque to give enough force to hold the outer boss tight enough for the knuckle to have enough friction when speeding down a hill.

As the screw tightens until the screwdriver nearly cams out, the outer boss bends under the weight. Even then, the knuckle is not held tight enough.

By using a big washer on the outside with perhaps an M5 bolt and a nut internally, it would be far better.

BUT
even if it was tight enough, I can't see it properly because my arm is often in the way when I'm on the tops or hoods, and it is impossible to use when on the drops.

This B+M mirror is FAR better value - and works flawlessly.
B+M Mirror.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

I have one of the old chromed jobs on a stick with agricultural clamp on my 'bent. Cost about £3 (originally bought 'cos I wanted a cheap retro round chromed mirror for my VW) and does the job fine. The stick is important as I have OSS so it needs to be able to look over my shoulder.

Had one a bit like the one that gave Mick trouble on my old tourer. Can confirm that it was a PITA for keeping it in the right place. But when it did behave it was a major asset, especially as I can't turn my head very well.

Tried a helmet mounted one but didn't get on with it. Couldn't get out of the habit of moving my head rather than my eyes, and it fell apart pretty quick too.

What I want, what I really really want, is one that will fit into the end of an X-lite stubby bar end, and ideally has a spring mechanism so it can be folded and then clicked back into the right position. I find that I have to lean my bike on something that is on its right side quite often, thus mirrors always get knocked out of position when doing this. And that one that mounts to the head tube is no good to me as it can't see past my luggage.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I have this one;
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sprintech-ro ... prod18601/

I like to have a mirror as I have difficulty turning my head to the right following a head on collision in 1993 (in the car I might add) You get two in the pack but I only use one on the off side. I might put the other one on my resto project Revell.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Si wrote:...... I find that I have to lean my bike on something that is on its right side quite often, thus mirrors always get knocked out of position when doing this. And that one that mounts to the head tube is no good to me as it can't see past my luggage.

I first fitted a mirror for touring abroad, so the mirror went on the left side of the handlebar. When I got back home I ran into the same trouble as you, so I left the mirror on the left side of the handlebar - as it is still much better than no mirror at all. That way I can still lean my bike against the wall.
aprildavy

Post by aprildavy »

I have used one one all my bikes since I was 13 (now 52). It is one of the most important safety additions you can make. If the mirror is properly mounted, you can see behind you at all times, just by glancing in it. You can judge the speed of the traffic, the size and width of the trucks. A lot of cyclists only look round when the cyclist is intending to manouvre. It gives YOU much more time to cycle defensively.

On several occaisions, I have seen white van man, or quarry truck man, accelerating towards me, left hand indicator flashing. Then the truck overtakes, slaps the brakes on, and pulls a hard left in front of me cutting me up. You can see all this emerging in your mirror and take avoding action, like stopping pedalling or braking since you knnow what he is going to do.

Get one - no question about it.

plus, one of hte guys at owrk on his motorbike, said after passing me one evening, he gave me more room, because the mirror sticks out.

I use the blackburn oval shaped one which fits over the right hand drop lever - see pic above.

Cheers