Night rides...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Night rides...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've found a time when I can go out and take in a ride without it robbing time from anyone else.

Late evening (i.e. starting sometime after 10) rides are fun ;)

I just decided to head south, west and then back - no route plan, just a "lets see where I end up".

The first thing that struck me was how bright my front light is (a B&M Lyt with stand light, powered from a SON). I've never taken it away from streetlights in the dark before - the cats eyes shone back at me for hundreds of yards, the lines on the side of the road leapt out. My black shoes were bright as they crossed the side of the beam. I'd never noticed this because my commute is under street lights, and it's practically light as day all night.

The second was how quiet the roads were. I met more sheep than cars (thankfully they were all still in their fields).

The third was the fog. I could always see the stars, but at times struggled to see the side of the road next to me. For a good deal of the journey I was very hesitant because I had complete white out. Even dipping my light all I could see was a featureless patch of ground, and I couldn't be sure if it was ground or fog!
Then I would emerge into a patch of clear air and see for miles - bizarre, yet beautiful.

The other thing you can't see in the fog is what terrain is coming up. You have to cycle according to what is under you now - no despair at the length of the hill, no anticipation of the summit, no safety in the descent...

Overall it was a lovely ride - 20 miles of quiet, relaxing pedalling - even if some of it required serious concentration to stay on the black stuff!

Now to find some slightly less foggy nights....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NUKe

Re: Night rides...

Post by NUKe »

I Love night riding too. One of my favorite night time trips was over the Sperrins in Northern Ireland at 2:00 a.m. I have in the past found an excuse to ride to the local 24 hour Super market with a 30 mile detour at midnight.
Last edited by NUKe on 15 Mar 2012, 10:32am, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe

Post by Audax67 »

Loss of visibility is scary. One of the hairiest stretches I've done was a descent into Dijon at something like 4 am. We were behind schedule. Despite having only a couple of 2006 battery CatEyes that illuminated nothing very much I just let it rip and hoped, reckoning that since it was a relatively major road it'd be OK. It was, but I was very glad when we finally reached the streetlights.

Coasting down through Dijon was a treat, though. There's something magical about cycling through a big city in the wee small hours.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Tip for night riding, although many will already know this.

Take a small torch. It comes in handy if a P* repair is neccessary. Some sticky tape too, so you can tape the torch to your hat while working on the P*. :)
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

[XAP]bob, that sums up why I love to ride on the Friday Night Rides to the Coast/Smoke/Random.

Set off at midnight to get to somewhere for breakfast.
Ride through the dark with just a few bike lights in front to show you the way.
Hitting silly speeds downhill.
Watch the sun rise as you cycle.
Finish off with a good fryup and a mug of tea.

Even if your cold and wet theres something enjoyable about it ........ :?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Ayesha wrote:Tip for night riding, although many will already know this.

Take a small torch. It comes in handy if a P* repair is neccessary. Some sticky tape too, so you can tape the torch to your hat while working on the P*. :)

Possibly the most convincing reason for wearing a h****t.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have (and wore, because of the fog) a head torch. No need for a lid or tape.

Shines light where you look which can help pick out road signs etc.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I have (and wore, because of the fog) a head torch. No need for a lid or tape.

Shines light where you look which can help pick out road signs etc.

My very cheap headtorch was the SINGLE best investment I have made in - oooh - ten years of regular commuting and long-distance cycling. I've since discovered how useful they can be on foot - but obviously that's not important.

You don't need a bright one. And even a feeble one is just enough to ride by in an emergency.

XAPBob: I'm surprised you used yours in the fog - fog and/or fine drizzle are the only time I find a headtorch is actually a hindrance :-/
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mattheus wrote:XAPBob: I'm surprised you used yours in the fog - fog and/or fine drizzle are the only time I find a headtorch is actually a hindrance :-/

Without it I could not see the side of the road by my left wheel (maybe 3' away?) with it I could see the side of the road at least some of the time....

I've never been so blind on any vehicle - of course I didn't have 50W of lights to play with...
roadvader

Post by roadvader »

live for night rides here,mainly solo,darker and more remote the better,lupine betty makes it more fun!!
:D
sorry love not tonight im shaving my legs...
Steve Kish

Post by Steve Kish »

It's now coming up to my night ride season and I always try a 'dusk to dawn' ride near to midsummer's day.

I tend to drift around lanes from about midnight-ish, lights on full blast, MP3 player in my ears and in my own world free of traffic.

However, my main fear is that I may one day find a Transit van parked up with two big blokes dumping a carpet in a ditch .... with a pair of shoes sticking out of one end!! :shock:

''We can't have any witnesses, Mick!''..
Old enough to know better but too young to care.
fossil

Post by fossil »

@ Steve , I was thinking of a dusk till dawn ride this year , I've done a FNRTC which by sheer coincidence ended in Bognor , which was nice :lol:

do you have any routes ?
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

Steve Kish wrote:''We can't have any witnesses, Mick!''..

So that's why he has a large trailer.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Steve Kish wrote:It's now coming up to my night ride season and I always try a 'dusk to dawn' ride near to midsummer's day.

I tend to drift around lanes from about midnight-ish, lights on full blast, MP3 player in my ears and in my own world free of traffic.

However, my main fear is that I may one day find a Transit van parked up with two big blokes dumping a carpet in a ditch .... with a pair of shoes sticking out of one end!! :shock:

Don't tell him your name Steve....
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Steve Kish wrote:It's now coming up to my night ride season and I always try a 'dusk to dawn' ride near to midsummer's day.

My fear ?? is a busload of tipsey women on a hen party.

A Ford van with a love godess in it ???? That must be the Transit of Venus.