Cameron Family Membership

reohn2

Re: Cameron Family Membership

Post by reohn2 »

Nettled Shin wrote: Maybe the CTC should offer free membership to all midwives; I believe they use bicycles a lot, and are very popular.

:D :D :D

Eileithia is Mallorca at the moment but I think she'll have an opinion on the PM when she gets back,for those that know her I suspect we know what it'll be :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

As we are now a charity (legally in Scotland) we should give a free membership to all cyclists.
Possibly non-cyclists too, just to encourage them.

By smarming around the PM we could get him to state fund it.
Yma o Hyd
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

meic wrote:As we are now a charity (legally in Scotland)

Does Cameron not want charities to run the country in the "Big Society". So maybe CTC could end up with transport.

More likley he now has to turn down a charity thus lots of free publicity.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Mr Cameron salary is about £142k per year. Roughly £100k would have been taxed at 50% previously, now it will be taxed at 45%, so he gains about £5000 per year if I have the sums near (not including other possible income).

As a charity the first priority for the CTC should be helping those in need. Giving the Cameron's family membership is not acting as a charity.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Steady rider wrote:Mr Cameron salary is about £142k per year. Roughly £100k would have been taxed at 50% previously, now it will be taxed at 45%, so he gains about £5000 per year if I have the sums near (not including other possible income).

As a charity the first priority for the CTC should be helping those in need. Giving the Cameron's family membership is not acting as a charity.

A couple of point of accuracy.
  • The 50% tax is only on income over £150,000, I think you are mixing this up with the 40% rate on taxable income over £35,000.
  • The reduction in the 50% rate to 45% is from April 2013 so the change is still 12 months away.

Rick
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Thanks Rick for making this clear.

Possibly nearly all of the dinner guest will gain from the reduced tax rate. I wonder how much a banker on a £1 million bonus will benefit from the 45% and later 40% tax rates? It sounds like corruption from the top to the bottom.
gaz

Post by gaz »

craggie wrote:According to the latest 'Cycleclips' newsletter the Camerons have been offered family membership of CTC.

Well it seems that discussion of this offer has brought Keith Edwards back to the fold; so money well spent for that result alone.

Welcome back Keith :Waving emoticon:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Thanks Gaz. The whole thing just appealed to my sense of humor. Thirdcranks post made me smile and I thought of somebody in the Ivory Towers thinking how to use Cameron for advertising.
As TC said he can not win, so why not make fun of him.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Edwards wrote:Thanks Gaz. The whole thing just appealed to my sense of humor. Thirdcranks post made me smile and I thought of somebody in the Ivory Towers thinking how to use Cameron for advertising.
As TC said he can not win, so why not make fun of him.

That's probably it. They've sent him a CTC jumper.
craggie

Post by craggie »

I see from the latest 'Cycle' magazine that the CTC is running a deficit and subscriptions will probably have to go up, and yet we're giving away membership to millionares?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Steady rider wrote:Mr Cameron salary is about £142k per year. Roughly £100k would have been taxed at 50% previously, now it will be taxed at 45%, so he gains about £5000 per year if I have the sums near (not including other possible income).

Completely and utterly wrong.

The 50% band starts at £150k, so on his PM's salary he wouldn't pay it at all.

After the most recent budget, he is worse off by a few hundred pounds due to fiscal drag on the 40% band and the £100k personal allowance withdrawal.

He also loses £2,449.20 in Child Benefit.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

craggie wrote:I see from the latest 'Cycle' magazine that the CTC is running a deficit and subscriptions will probably have to go up, and yet we're giving away membership to millionares?

It doesn't matter if he's a millionaire, he still only has to pay £30 to join.

Presumably if he accepts he will then receive a certain amount of CTC lobbying/newsletters, etc., the value of this influence on the Prime Minister is obviously in excess of £30 and some of the comments in this thread are rather desperate.
meic

Post by meic »

thelawnet wrote:

After the most recent budget, he is worse off by a few hundred pounds due to fiscal drag on the 40% band and the £100k personal allowance withdrawal.

I am no expert on Cameron's financial status but I have heard that he is is a pretty rich chap prior to his PM's salary.
So he may well be a beneficiary of the reduction of the 50% rate (next, next year) and the decrease in corporation tax. Also when he ceases to be PM and collects all his "consultancy fees" from various corporations who coincidently benefited from the policies which he introduced etc etc he will benefit from it then.
Not as much as a certain Labour ex-primeminister does though.
Yma o Hyd
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

Mick F wrote:Who will pay for his membership fee?

He's paid 24/7 to do his job 24/7. If he's not being PM, he's shirking and I'd like a refund on my taxes.

No different to being in HM Forces then.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

meic wrote:
thelawnet wrote:

I am no expert on Cameron's financial status but I have heard that he is is a pretty rich chap prior to his PM's salary.

No idea.

So he may well be a beneficiary of the reduction of the 50% rate (next, next year)

I can't imagine he would have ever paid it. Whatever income-generating assets he might have will be split between him and his wife to make use of both of their tax allowances. With a threshold of £150k, that's £300k between the two of them.

Much of the Camerons' lifestyle is publicly financed, in the course of their duties as PM, so there's simply no way they need £200k+ of net income, so they'd have to be pretty stupid, quite frankly, to have paid it.

That's why it's such bad politics, and why the 45% reduction was a foolish cop-out. I would much rather people paid 40% on their entire income, than 40% on only part, baulking at paying 50% on the rest.

Study here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2012/exche ... x-2042.pdf

and the decrease in corporation tax.

The small companies (under £1.5 million) rate is being abolished. So he would pay more anyway.

Also when he ceases to be PM and collects all his "consultancy fees" from various corporations who coincidently benefited from the policies which he introduced etc etc he will benefit from it then.
Not as much as a certain Labour ex-primeminister does though.

Indeed.