Unnoticable Helmet Suggestion Please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cunobelin

Re: Unnoticable Helmet Suggestion Please

Post by Cunobelin »

I like Nogin Sox
BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

I don't think I've ever been fast enough to experience wind noise from my helmet,
a Uvex i-vo. 5 stars from Bike Radar - can't fault it.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

pete75 wrote:A helmet cover perhaps - these are quite fetching :D

$(KGrHqQOKnEE3ZeHQBy(BN-wJznMDQ~~_12.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chicken-cycli ... 4948wt_990

Are they going cheep? IGMC :wink:
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

BertYardbrush wrote:I don't think I've ever been fast enough to experience wind noise from my helmet,
a Uvex i-vo. 5 stars from Bike Radar - can't fault it.

I read the review yesterday, but then couldn't find any via google. Don't think it takes much speed as it seems to happen just pootling along lanes and paths.

Cheers all.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Time for someone to come up with a set of aerodynamic lo-noise straps.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
meic

Post by meic »

Never having worn a cycle helmet, I am still subject to wind noise. Do the helmets actually make it much worse? Is it much louder or starting at a slower windspeed?

I find that the walkman headphones help to cut back the wind noise. My theory is that they cause a pocket of still air around the actual ear holes. A similar effect is had (for one ear) by cocking your head to one side while riding.
Yma o Hyd
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I've not either Meic, and no desire to start, but I'd rather not incur the wrath of the Seattle (King County) law upholders during an upcoming visit. Indeed I also get wind noise at certain speeds, that also is improved with angling my head, but judging by the need to get that much closer and talk so much louder/clearer to be heard, and being told "all I hear is wind noise", it's clearly worse wearing one.
BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

Uvex i-vo I got mine from Chain Reaction http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=76406
Steve Kish

Post by Steve Kish »

My early 1990s Specialized Sub Zero helmet is very quiet. As opposed to today's modern ones with about 36 holes, mine has only 8.
Old enough to know better but too young to care.
alicej

Post by alicej »

I don't get any noise from my helmet, I wonder if hair helps - try a soft hat underneath, or maybe a lycra helmet cover?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

reohn2 wrote:I've never experienced any problems:?

Iv'e never experienced this problem either r2, but a cycling colleague who has an identical helmet to one of mine has dreadful wind noise problems.

We've looked at, and thought about, this and we've concluded that our head shapes are sufficiently different for the positions and angles of the straps to have to be different. His helmet straps are very close to his ear whereas mine are comparitively well forward.

I'm not suggesting reasons or solutions here, but it's a thought. Maybe choice of helmet may be part of it.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Thanks Steve and Alice, but I think I want plenty of ventilation- I typically overheat quickly; a hat rarely stays on me for long. As for hair... too late, unless I can comb-over my beard that far!

Thanks for the link, Bert. Hopefully though I can find one to try on somewhere first, otherwise I'll have to do the measure, buy, try, and if not right, send back and try again thing...

Interesting observation John. Perhaps I should superglue some velcro strips to my head to negate straps, hmmm.

Or just see if I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't suffer this, of course.

Going off at a tangent here, I think my head's an odd shape- quite ovoid like an alien, with a furrowed neanderthal brow. Always worn relatively smallish mobike helmets- typically medium (Shoei), and my work helmet is set comfortably snug at 56cm.I think finding a comfy one may be a challenge, as some mobike lids are horrible to wear, despite getting good reviews for comfort elsewhere.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

mrjemm - I see that my helmet which I previously noted as "quieter than the last one" is a MET Inferno. A rather more road race shape than the last one with lots of holes and much lighter. In terms of fit it has a neat little wheel adjuster at the back which expands or contracts the inner cradle to get a good fit on your head. I have to say that it was quite expensive. I didnt set out to buy an expensive helmet but it was the best of the bunch in my local bike shop. I like to try these things on first, rather than buy on line and Paul my local man is always very helpful even producing a tape to measure my head.

I have noticed this turning the head thing and will experiment with strap positions to see if that makes any difference and report back. You can vary the shape of the strap with an adjuster which shortens or lengthens the Y shaped piece by your ear.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I've had those adjustment knobs on helmets at work, and they're effective, though add to weight/bulk a bit. The Met lids do look quite good and the reviews are positive, so I'll certainly give them a look. Thanks.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Damn, you've made a decision just as I was about to mention the Emperor's New Helmet.

The ENH is the very latest in unnoticable helmets, utilising armed forces stealth technology to be invisible to both the wearer and all around him or her. Whilst I can give an assurance that it's just as good safety wise as any other helmet on the market, the relevant safety markings are also rendered invisible to the naked eye by the stealth tech.

The ENH is exceptionally well ventilated, you really will feel the wind in your hair, and incredibly lightweight, users often report that it doesn't feel like they're wearing a helmet at all.

The ENH is distributed exclusively by Cyclists Advanced Safety Hats, PM me for the PO Box number, cheques payable to CASH for simplicity please. :wink:

Edit - trypwriting errors.
Last edited by gaz on 5 Apr 2012, 9:55am, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade