Price of tent on campsites in France.

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
LowPlainsDrifter

Price of tent on campsites in France.

Post by LowPlainsDrifter »

Hi,
Years ago I used to love going on trips wandering across France (on motorcycle) and I remember most decent towns seemed to have Municipal campsites right in or next to the town and they always used to be cheap. Its now been years since I camped in France. I used to do a mixture of wild camping and then stay on proper campsites to brush up and relax etc.
Does anyone have any recent (like last year) prices they paid for pitching a tent and one person on a campsite especially municipal ones, which always used to be cheaper than private ones for the most part. I have Googled a few but just would like some more info of those who've been last year or even this!
cheers. Mart.
zero population growth.
no to the rat race thanks.
Mark Grant

Re: Price of tent on campsites in France.

Post by Mark Grant »

Last year in Brittany the most I paid was E13.80 in St. Malo, the Cheapest would have been E2.10 had anyone turned up to collect the money! the others ranged from E4 to E7.

Mark.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Over the last two years in many areas of France - I found the average to be about 7 euros (editted - forgot, that average is for the whole trip not just municipals) , a remarkably cheap one at 1.8 euros, expensive ones might be 11 euros. Private sites I've paid anything from 5 euros to 16 euros when needs must. Obviously the cost depends on just where you are. For example, this year I will be in France in August and will steer clear of any campsite within say 15 miles of an obvious attraction (theme park perhaps) because they will be expensive and likely busy.

Get one of these http://www.amazon.fr/Guide-officiel-cam ... 860&sr=8-1 or even one a few years old second hand. Municipals and private listed with facilities, rough location and prices.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

There are still cheap campsites around in France. I kept a log of my trip last summer (2011) and here are a few examples:

Domfront municipal campsite: EUR 5.50 per night
GPS: N 48 35.310, W 000 39.63 (degrees decimal minutes)

Courville-sur-Eure municipal campsite: EUR 2.10 per night
GPS: N 48 26.768, E 001 14.419

Chaumont municipal campsite: EUR 8.45 per night
GPS: N 48 07.194, E 05 07.851

I have records of others that were more expensive, but often included internet WiFi, such as Munster EUR 25 inc internet charge of EUR 6.
It should be noted that none of these municipal sites were in busy South of France tourist hotspots !

Happy travels.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Mattie wrote:Courville-sur-Eure municipal campsite: EUR 2.10 per night

That's where I paid 1.8 euros in 2010. Remarkably cheap. A big and clean site.
LowPlainsDrifter

Wonderful, thanks for all the replies. I'm quite amazed the prices seem to be on par with when I last wandered around (Atlantic coast to Med but on MZ250. ) and that was in the early 90's!!
I just took side roads sometimes and would come across the most delightful campsites. Thats why I loved swanning about in France. No rush, Find nice site, off to local bread shop, fresh baguette, cheese, local toms, and maybe a bottle of plonk. Sat in the sun in the beautiful countryside, bliss. 8)
zero population growth.
dodger

Post by dodger »

The dearest ones will be close to the coast. Go for the municipal ones every time.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

tatanab wrote:Over the last two years in many areas of France - I found the average to be about 7 euros (editted - forgot, that average is for the whole trip not just municipals) , a remarkably cheap one at 1.8 euros, expensive ones might be 11 euros. Private sites I've paid anything from 5 euros to 16 euros when needs must. Obviously the cost depends on just where you are. For example, this year I will be in France in August and will steer clear of any campsite within say 15 miles of an obvious attraction (theme park perhaps) because they will be expensive and likely busy.

Get one of these http://www.amazon.fr/Guide-officiel-cam ... 860&sr=8-1 or even one a few years old second hand. Municipals and private listed with facilities, rough location and prices.

Thanks for this link tatanab - I've used this guide for the last three years and have always had trouble getting it from UK websites (one seller on amazon uk wants silly money for a copy). Just ordered a copy from amazon.fr at just under £15 including posting. (I made extensive use of Google Translate as my French is poor - it worked a treat).

My own observation of prices matches those of other contributors. The Municipal sites are good value and often much cleaner and quieter than the often more expensive privately owned ones. The private ones on the Med and Atlantic coasts are pricey by comparison.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

You'll find lots of cheap campsites and this article may be of help http://www.cycling-holidays-france.com/diy.htm (though I need to update a couple of things) - the Guide Official everyone has mentioned is available on-line here - http://www.campingfrance.com/ - in effect all that the book has and more in a searchable on-line site. The book can be found in most French newsagents so just use the website for the first couple and pick up the guide as you go. It really is excellent and now shows the 'camping a la ferme' which are often excellent (with farmer's wife cooking:-) and frequently to be found in non-tourist areas and open when others are not.

Have fun:-)
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
LowPlainsDrifter

Cheers all. I shall check the info out.
zero population growth.