Hoy! What a finish!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
james01

Hoy! What a finish!

Post by james01 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/17649339

I'm not normally a fan of indoor velodrome cycling, but this is stirring stuff. Congratulations Sir Chris.
Steve Kish

Re: Hoy! What a finish!

Post by Steve Kish »

I'll make the selectors job easy for them!

Give Jason Kenny the sprint role and give Sir Chris the keirin. Obviously both for the team sprint.

CH is a superman in the sprint but a demi-God in the keirin :!:
Old enough to know better but too young to care.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I hope it's not unpatriotic but I was watching Paris Roubaix on French telly. After a couple of shaky starts I've finally got on top of doing this via broadband. :D
sean178

Post by sean178 »

yep, agreed. fantastic finish from what looked like nothing.
saw some of the Paris - Roubaix too, the cobbled lanes looked like they were a bit tough going, proper bone shakers !!!
if at first you don't succeed, then skydiving probably isn't the hobby for you !!!
nez

Post by nez »

Paris Roubaix 2012-04-08.jpg
I went to the Paris Roubaix on Sunday with my son. It was all done in a day, a sort of mad dash. The first time ever. I have to admit I am turning into a bit of a fan. As the son says, 'in which other sport can you stand inches from the participants?'

As you can see from the picture, riding the tranchee d'Arenberg just gets easier and easier (not)! I've got loads of pictures. If I can figure out Flickr I'll post them in the morning.
nez

Post by nez »

I can't resist showing you this one too. Presumably this is the beginning of the chain that ends with 3rd crank watching Fr3 on broadband. I used more traditional techniques to get my pictures.
Attachments
Paris Roubaix 2012-04-08 (1).jpg
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

No doubt this was available on Eurosport. Neither the picture not the sound are ideal when it's watched via the internet, especially on a fairly basic computer like this one.

It's a ll a big improvement from the days when getting up-to-date info about bike racing meant listening to the news bulletins on French radio.

As I've probably explained on an earlier thread, I thought that listening to the commentary in French would be good for me. If anybody else has similar aspirations, I've found this site to be a reliable guide to relevant online programmes:

http://www.steephill.tv/
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hoy,superman! :shock:
Boonan,super,superman! :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
nez

Post by nez »

I took loads of those pictures and one of the things that becomes clear is that many of riders are bulking up their arms in the gym to give them sufficient strength to control a bike over that stuff. Not all of them though - and Boonan doesn't look like one who has. The field doesn't look like a normal 'tour' type cycling field, where they look like a lot of jump jockeys. These are big fellows - plenty of guys six four or six five scooted past us.

You're right. Hoy is superman. Boonan's four P/R wins... unbelievable.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Pity that Boonen has apparently found that "Things go better with coke." :roll:
nez

Post by nez »

you've broken my heart. I'm naive about this stuff. :oops:

I've made Flickr work. You can pick out your own coca cola experts on http://www.flickr.com/photos/shipaground/
Last edited by nez on 9 Apr 2012, 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:Pity that Boonen has apparently found that "Things go better with coke." :roll:

I agree,though cocaine isn't performance enhancing,it says a lot about modern life.By all accounts he's seen the error of his ways and turned a new leaf.
BTW,I was known to take a few illegal substances when I was his age too :oops:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Being on all sorts of silly shifts over the weekend it has taken me a day or 2 to catch up with my recorded cycle viewing, and studiously avoided both facebook, the other cycle forum I go on, and the national news, where I may have 'seen' results I did not wish to see.

The cycle forum is very strict that 'Spoiler' is put in the title of a thread that deals with a race result that someone may not have had chance to watch.

Having seen the title of this thread I made sure I avoided it until I had completed my viewing of the track world's... so today I have looked in... to find not only results of the world's but also Paris - Roubiax... which was not covered in the title...

Pleeeeeease if anyone discusses results in a thread please please put 'spoiler' in the title and keep the title neutral... ie world championships, spoiler or Paris - Roubiax, spoiler. This way people who may not want their viewing spoiled can avoid the thread and not learn the result of an event fromthe title.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
nez

Post by nez »

Sorry, I do sympathise and will try to remember the fate of the shift worker in future. But where will it end? Wednesday? Thursday? Give us a clue abt what you think is fair at least. Have you seen the result of the Paris Nice? All right, a bit of an exaggeration, but you see the problem. I'm wondering if Lance Armstrong will win a 6th Tour... oh stoppit. :wink:
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

I think Laura Trott's achievement was greater.
For such a young rider of diminutive stature she dealt with her opponents ruthlessly in the omnium.
Sitting at the back during the scratch race & boxing them at the critical moment was a treat to watch, & leading from the front from the beggining.
Magic.