First day of NOT owning a car tomorrow

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: First day of NOT owning a car tomorrow

Post by al_yrpal »

I was in Beijing for a week in February. I would estimate that HALF the bikes on the road there are electric. We visited 8 other Asian cities but nowhere were electric bikes on the road in significant numbers. In Vietnam there are literally millions of small motorbikes. China is mad on electric bikes.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

[/quote]I'm seriously considering buying this. In fact, the ONLY thing stopping me is I think I'm maybe being a wimp. I'm 31, maybe this is something I should purchase later in life.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom[/quote]

To be honest I think that's the way all of us keen cyclists will end up with if we dont die first.

How about making your own:

I met this bloke on a ride. Apparently he uses it every day for work, ten miles, and back.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ukdodger wrote:
I'm seriously considering buying this. In fact, the ONLY thing stopping me is I think I'm maybe being a wimp. I'm 31, maybe this is something I should purchase later in life.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom

To be honest I think that's the way all of us keen cyclists will end up with if we dont die first.

How about making your own:

I met this bloke on a ride. Apparently he uses it every day for work, ten miles, and back.

Whilst I wouldn't be convinced by that particular "approach" :shock:
There are kits available to fit you're own bike :) .
Lets not forget that e-bikes not only provide help for aged exsisting cyclists but also brings all the benefits and freedom of cycling to the infirm, no matter what age group.
I can only see e-bikes becoming evermore popular as fuel costs rise.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
burnsie

Post by burnsie »

late reply (as ever) but for songs polar bears..good on you mate..go for it. I started regular cycling again four years ago and more....ended up selling my car due to lack of use. Had some regrets on occasions, but these have become less and less over time-TBH the thought of owning a car now turns me off completely-for all sorts of reasons; back to work post xmas we had a right hoolie blowing here on murkeyside...one night I added maybe 20 minutes onto my journey-had to get off and push at one point-thought well if I can cope with this I can cope with anything.

My regret is I didnt so it sooner, as I used to cycle but 'fell into the trap' and got a car when I turned 30 (54 now). I wish I'd stuck with the cycling more-if only because I could have tried many more bicycles and done more in terms of stuff like audax and touring...maybe not put some weight on...saved a shedload of money...done bit more for the environment etc

It has turned into a really interesting thread.....I agree with many of the sentiments here-esp re the pursuit of continual economic growth..bit depressing really though...........are we all doomed? anyone got any positives (getting good/ballsy politicians would be marvellous-wonder how far they'd get given people can fight over mince pies in a supermarket at Xmas? :( )

Cheers guys
Dave
karlt

Post by karlt »

reohn2 wrote:Lets not forget that e-bikes not only provide help for aged exsisting cyclists but also brings all the benefits and freedom of cycling to the infirm, no matter what age group..

Well, some infirm people. There's no way my mother could use one, for example. It's car or stay at home for her.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

karlt wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Lets not forget that e-bikes not only provide help for aged exsisting cyclists but also brings all the benefits and freedom of cycling to the infirm, no matter what age group..

Well, some infirm people. There's no way my mother could use one, for example. It's car or stay at home for her.

In fairness(to me) I didn't say all infirm people.In fairness(to you)I could have said some infirm people. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We were in Pisa or Florence - I forget which - recently, and we saw some tourists on hired Segways.

If Italy can legalise their use, why can't UK?
They seem a wonderful bit of personal transport.
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mick F wrote:We were in Pisa or Florence - I forget which - recently, and we saw some tourists on hired Segways.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-11416654
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:We were in Pisa or Florence - I forget which - recently, and we saw some tourists on hired Segways.

If ignorance is bliss, then I excell in blissfulness. What's a Sedgway?
karlt

Post by karlt »

reohn2 wrote:
karlt wrote:

In fairness(to me) I didn't say all infirm people.In fairness(to you)I could have said some infirm people. :)

Yeah, but sometimes (not from you, to be fair) you get the impression on here that some people think that no-one needs a car and all private driving is somehow unjustifiably indulgent. I can only imagine that the people promoting such a view have neither elderly relatives nor children. And rather limited horizons; for example, Mrs KarlT intends to visit her sister 35 miles away this evening. Impossible without a car to get there and back.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

shared_photo.jpg by Alyrpal, on Flickr

Segways outside Congress in Washington D C

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

karlt wrote:...............Yeah, but sometimes .............. you get the impression on here that some people think that no-one needs a car and all private driving is somehow unjustifiably indulgent. I can only imagine that the people promoting such a view have neither elderly relatives nor children. And rather limited horizons; for example, Mrs KarlT intends to visit her sister 35 miles away this evening. Impossible without a car to get there and back.

Well Karlt - I suppose I'm guilty as charged.

Although not quite and not really. Some drivers and occupations do need a vehicle, but they're only a small proportion of those who do drive about, and the lives of those who need - I mean really need - a vehicle would be made much easier if those who don't actually need to drive about chose some other, less harmful way of travelling.

Those who are able bodied and with an awareness, do not need to drive about, or even have a car. I've proved that along the years of my life - but with respect to you, I've only proved it to myself.

I've told my story on these threads so many times that it's boring beyond belief, but before starting my own little practice, I rode a hilly route to and from work, 10 miles each way, every working day for 27 years - honestly I never missed, whatever the weather. I'm not big and strong, I'm not super fit, I'm not special in any way - in fact at best I'm about average. All I did was to identify my own opinions and my ethics, and make my decision. I never had a car, and even when I was working for myself, my clients were understanding - they thought me eccentric but respected me (respect a cyclist!!!!!! - words of heresy?) - and I saw my family through university and into professional occupations.

So many of my colleagues couldn't understand - they didn't want to cycle, they wanted to drive, not to have a car would threaten their perception of their social status - not having a car made their legs tired, they didn't actually know that there was an alternative - they made their choice, just as we all have a right to do.

But honestly, and being realistic, for most of them (and in fact, most of them thought that cycling/walking/public transport was ok for others, but they were all a special case - particularly when someone else had the audacity to drive into a parking space that they'd earmarked for them selves), they simply made the choice that all of us in a free country have a right to make - in the best interests of their ease and self-interest.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

al_yrpal wrote:Image
shared_photo.jpg by Alyrpal, on Flickr

Segways outside Congress in Washington D C

Al

Flippin' 'eck!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Segway's are great fun. There are a few places now that do 'Segway Tours'.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

JohnW wrote:Some drivers and occupations do need a vehicle, but they're only a small proportion of those who do drive about, and the lives of those who need - I mean really need - a vehicle would be made much easier if those who don't actually need to drive about chose some other, less harmful way of travelling.

Oh well said, Sir. Well said.

I've been saying for yonks that for most people in this country, a motor car is a convenience, not a necessity. The only time in the last 45 years when I actually needed a car was the 11 years during which we earned our living as wedding photographers covering most of the bottom half of England.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.