First day of NOT owning a car tomorrow

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
snibgo

Re: First day of NOT owning a car tomorrow

Post by snibgo »

That's just the capital cost. Running costs are extra.
horizon

Post by horizon »

There's an idea that keeps slipping away in this thread. And that is that not owning a car is beneficial. No matter how much people say they need it, no matter how much people say that they are jobless without it, no matter how much people say that they couldn't get to hospital or see their grandchildren without one, no matter that there are certain journeys that would be impossible to make without car, the fact remains that not owning car might be a liberating, practical, economical and thoroughly life enhancing course of action. The OP has jumped first. I think more of us should seriously consider it, not for the sake of others (though that is important enough) but for our own happiness and well being.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

horizon wrote: ...I thought all cyclists dreamt of nothing else other than dumping their car but I suppose this is a very balanced forum with people from all walks of life talking about daily realities not pipe dreams.

It may be worth remembering that even in the bike-nirvana Netherlands, car-miles outnumber bike-miles by around 10:1. (The UK ratio is nearer 100:1.) If the UK magically overnight achieved NL levels of cycling, this would reduce car mileage by only around 10%.

Worth doing of course, but barely denting the problems that (IMHO) cars cause.
horizon

Post by horizon »

snibgo wrote:Worth doing of course, but barely denting the problems that (IMHO) cars cause.

snibgo: my point is not that it might help society or the environment, my point is that it might help oneself.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I can't keep up with this thread.

Totally agree with your last*, horizon. Cycling instead of driving is great for the individual (and also, as it happens, for society). Becoming car-free can be totally wonderful for the individual.

EDIT: your last two posts.
horizon

Post by horizon »

snibgo wrote:I can't keep up with this thread.

Totally agree with your last*, horizon. Cycling instead of driving is great for the individual (and also, as it happens, for society). Becoming car-free can be totally wonderful for the individual.

EDIT: your last two posts.

And just to keep up the pace :D (I've just read alyrpal's exercise thread), it isn't just not driving, it's not having or owning a car at all.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Vorpal wrote:.........If, for example, we were to power our cars on wind energy...............

If you listen to motorists discussing cyclists, you'd think the cars were powered by hot air.
songsforpolarbears

Post by songsforpolarbears »

Life is definitely a bit tougher, harder. I am finding I need to be more organised, set off earlier (cycling is most certainly not quicker than driving in West Cumbria) and, of course, make it up those hills!

I got rid of my TV 3 years ago - being 'sans voiture' has had a much greater impact on my life. I have found the change 'bigger'.

Riding my bike is so much more, umm, how can I put it... spiritual compared to driving. Little, meaningless things happen that perhaps put the cherry on the top of all the benefits of scrapping the car that have been discussed. Take my emergency stop on my way home from work this evening...

IMG_0418.jpg

Officially shopping for a lighter, speedier bike. Something to shoot along the tarmac. Mudguards, pannier rack, dynamo lighting all required. I think this will cut down my choices? I don't see these items packaged with road bikes often?
meic

Post by meic »

When a road bike has those things affixed, it has normally grown up into an Audax bike. :lol:
Yma o Hyd
songsforpolarbears

Post by songsforpolarbears »

meic wrote:When a road bike has those things affixed, it has normally grown up into an Audax bike. :lol:

After reading this useful thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25650&start=0 I can confirm, yes, that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for, thanks.
Reigncloud

Post by Reigncloud »

meic wrote:That is £4,000 for 25 years of car use!

I think there may be a catch there, like losses in transmission and cost of infrastructure.

New turbines these days are all more than 3MW (up to 8MW offshore), so assuming 1.5MW probably accounts for any losses due to transmission or intermittent wind.

Is 24W really correct though? Seems very small.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

songsforpolarbears wrote:Officially shopping for a lighter, speedier bike. Something to shoot along the tarmac. Mudguards, pannier rack, dynamo lighting all required. I think this will cut down my choices? I don't see these items packaged with road bikes often?

Some great bike shops in your region Songs- Keswick Mountain Bikes do road too (above the Lakeland Peddler vege cafe!) and Ghyllside in Ambleside top for touring fare (and plenty of fine munching about there too, note my theme). But not an easy ride to get there, and no trains from the west either... Need a car! (Joking!).

I thought the suggestion for a moment, was for cars to have their own turbines on them! I remember years ago seeing a catamaran like that which could actually go straight into the wind! (Unless they were cheating for the thick yokels at the East Coast Boat Show and had one of em noo-fangled infernal combustionisers).

Edit- Not the one, but same concept- http://www.treehugger.com/renewable-ene ... -wind.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/selkovjr/4189525835/

Or we could have land yachts on the roads... Would need rather wider ones though. Hmmm.

Strange, some people's definition of selfish. I remember once getting accused of being this by a religious type for my desire to not breed. How odd.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

mrjemm wrote:Strange, some people's definition of selfish. I remember once getting accused of being this by a religious type for my desire to not breed.

Hah! We got exactly the same stupid comment 30 years ago when we got wed!
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I can not keep up either, now we have turbines and people breading. I am sure he would struggle to put out kw of power on his bike. Can you do the other while riding a bike?

Maybe Songsforpolarbears could start another thread for those of us interested in his experiences, one that does not get diverted?
I love the picture of the ducks. Did they end up in the turbine? :wink:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mrjemm wrote:Strange, some people's definition of selfish. I remember once getting accused of being this by a religious type for my desire to not breed.

Selfishness isn't always intrincally bad for everyone but the self.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden