How do you do it?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Trigger

How do you do it?

Post by Trigger »

Just wondering how people go about it?

I see some just use the smallest/lightest camping stuff they can get as it's just for one night so they can get going again ASAP in the morning, where as some prefer to camp for longer using the campsite as a base for day rides before moving on after a few days.

Personally I would rather have a few days at one site and use reasonable camping gear. I couldn't be doing with the kipping-in-the-bottom-of-the-hedge idea of touring/camping, after all it's supposed to be a holiday, I don't find the idea of sleeping in a canvas coffin with only an inch either side enjoyable.
willem jongman

Re: How do you do it?

Post by willem jongman »

I am in between. I like to move on after one night most times, and I like the lightweight gear because it makes my ride easier (I hate an overloaded clumsy bike). At the same time I like a measure of comfort in a spacious 1.5-2 kg solo tent, and I like the comfort of a campsite with a warm shower. I hate crowded campsites full of RV's and caravans, however. It is a precarious balance, and sometimes you just get it wrong, alas.
Willem
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Lol there are probably as many types of cycle touring as there are people on here, from complete comfort; hotels and supported moving on tours, hotels and stay in one place, to very lightweight camping and wild camping.. over the years have probably done a mix of it all.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
meic

Post by meic »

I do a bit of both.

I am more geared up towards the camping just-to-sleep-between-whole-days-of-riding-type when I am heading for a destination.
Yet I can revert to the static base camp and day rides when exploring an area, I normally do that for rallies.
So you only carry the (rather heavier) luggage there and back with lots of days riding unloaded and best of all no pitching and striking camp. :D :D
Yma o Hyd
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

willem jongman wrote:I hate crowded campsites full of RV's and caravans,
Willem

me too
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

Trigger wrote:Just wondering how people go about it?

I see some just use the smallest/lightest camping stuff they can get as it's just for one night so they can get going again ASAP in the morning, where as some prefer to camp for longer using the campsite as a base for day rides before moving on after a few days.

Personally I would rather have a few days at one site and use reasonable camping gear. I couldn't be doing with the kipping-in-the-bottom-of-the-hedge idea of touring/camping, after all it's supposed to be a holiday, I don't find the idea of sleeping in a canvas coffin with only an inch either side enjoyable.

That's the beauty of cycle touring, do it as it suits you, not others, if they like what they are doing then great, if they don't like your setup well who cares? its your holiday.
vernon

Post by vernon »

It's a matter of each to their own taste.

I will defend my choice of equipment because it was selected to suit my tastes.

If someone else wants to go heavier or lighter then it's up to them. If they get pleasure from it then it's a bonus for them.

I'm too lazy to be a weight weenie and too fat to take on the added burden of the kitchen sink.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I think the answer is in the question. Different people (or even the same person) do it in all ways!

I do it in 3 ways: one night stop if doing a moving on tour; stop for a few days if want to rest or sightsee in a particular area; and I also use my VW camper as a mobile base for day rides. Sorry if the latter makes me a hated RV camper!
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Each to their own, certainly.

Perhaps I favour sleeping under hedges in a cloth coffin because I grew up with family holidays and Scout camps that involved kitchen sinks and everything. I like a simpler life. It's also very practical -- without needing to book ahead or get to a particular site I just pedal until I decide to stop.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

A small tent does not bother me, but do not like the idea of camping rough, in Western Europe anyway. I do not like being unclean - turning up at a hotel or being served in a shop - whilst being all unclean and not washed for many days would make me feel like a tramp.

Campsite, and a shower, and even a small tent will suit just fine :D
Gina101

Post by Gina101 »

stephenjubb wrote:
willem jongman wrote:I hate crowded campsites full of RV's and caravans,
Willem

me too

Me three :) Found a proepr nice one on my last escape and will be deifnately going there again.