First day of NOT owning a car tomorrow

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: First day of NOT owning a car tomorrow

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:There's an idea that keeps slipping away in this thread. And that is that not owning a car is beneficial. No matter how much people say they need it, no matter how much people say that they are jobless without it, no matter how much people say that they couldn't get to hospital or see their grandchildren without one, no matter that there are certain journeys that would be impossible to make without car, the fact remains that not owning car might be a liberating, practical, economical and thoroughly life enhancing course of action.

But most people would need an aweful lot of convincing in the carcentric society we live in,if this society made a conscious decision to "go bike" it could persuade a lot more people to cycle.However we we are where we are until people are persuaded,it will need a lot more effort than in NL.
The OP has jumped first. I think more of us should seriously consider it, not for the sake of others (though that is important enough) but for our own happiness and well being.

What suits (or makes happy) the OP won't suit(or make happy)everyone,one type of transport doesn't fit all.
Last edited by reohn2 on 17 Apr 2012, 8:26am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Edwards wrote:I can not keep up either, now we have turbines and people breading:

No wind turbines here, but the Lady Wife's downstairs making a loaf as I type ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

reohn2 wrote:However we we are where we are until people are persuaded,it will need a lot more effort than in NL.

Ain't that the truth. How did it actually come to pass in this country that riding a bike is something done by a lunatic fringe which involves Lycra and magic hats and a rack on the back of a motor car?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

danfoto wrote:Ain't that the truth. How did it actually come to pass in this country that riding a bike is something done by a lunatic fringe which involves Lycra and magic hats and a rack on the back of a motor car?

When it didn't follow NL's excellent and pioneering example of local transport.
BTW If you think that doesn't happen in NL you're mistaken.
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think that I'd be happy enough without a car, but I'd never convince Mr. V. Ever. When I gave up my car, he wanted to replace it. He kept asking.

The car isn't used much, and he's given up asking. I think he sees that there's no point in having two cars when we only need* two cars a few times each year.

* in this case 'need' means that we both want to go somewhere that is most conveniently done by car at the same time
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just taken our Clio in for her MOT.

Miles done since last MOT?
4,317miles.

I often do that in a year on my bike.
Mick F. Cornwall
Reigncloud

Post by Reigncloud »

Mick F wrote:Just taken our Clio in for her MOT.

4,317miles.

Love this post!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Reigncloud wrote:

4,317miles.

Love this post!

If it makes someone happy :D
Our car mileage last year was 11,050miles,1,000+ was was taking my sister to appoinments at Cristie's in Manchester from her home in Wigan*.The rest was mostly pleasure.
Bike miles for the same period was 7,500miles,all for pleasure :wink:

*She wouldn't have made it on public transport as she was too ill.
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

4,317miles.

Collected this evening.
One ball joint worn - replaced
Front N/S brake calliper needed attention
Plus an MOT

£140
Mick F. Cornwall
denmancentral

Post by denmancentral »

Reigncloud wrote:
meic wrote:That is £4,000 for 25 years of car use!

I think there may be a catch there, like losses in transmission and cost of infrastructure.

New turbines these days are all more than 3MW (up to 8MW offshore), so assuming 1.5MW probably accounts for any losses due to transmission or intermittent wind.

Is 24W really correct though? Seems very small.

Put it another way: each turbine powers roughly 500 cars.

um, you can power cars from wind turbines....electric cars! See 'Sustainable Energy Without The Hot Air' which is available in online http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/withouthotair/c3/page_29.html

He estimates an average person will use 40kW hours of energy per day for driving a typical car. Assuming a 3MW turbine produces 25% of its maximum potential (a typical Capacity Factor), that's (3M * 0.25 * 24 = 18M, 18M/40k = 450) 450 peoples' driving needs covered per turbine. Different maths but similar result to previous poster. So a lot of turbines if we all want to drive. Of course a more efficient car fleet would increase this.

Excellent book/website for all things sustainable, but the way.
denmancentral

Post by denmancentral »

...not that I want to see all that clean energy used for personal car use
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Incidentally, if anyone lives nears Ely, they could pick up a C5 for a bargain £195. Well, it's a bargain if you like that kind of thing. If it had pedals, I'd be seriously tempted.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

snibgo wrote:Incidentally, if anyone lives nears Ely, they could pick up a C5 for a bargain £195. Well, it's a bargain if you like that kind of thing. If it had pedals, I'd be seriously tempted.

They do have pedals. Or was it an option?

The wind power hot/air link didn't work from me, but it's probably really tiresome like most links on the subject, so not too bothered. Just wanted to see whether it refers to a supply that is purely wind-sourced, as presently, unless you've got access to a private turbine, I doubt such a source exists. And electric cars... Ergh. I don't consider them green as yet. Don't get me wrong, I am pro wind, and it's use/development, but have serious reservations about electric vehicles at present.

By the way (going back to earlier matters), am presently looking to buy a sailing dinghy... And I certainly couldn't tow one of those with a bike! (At least not the type I'm after).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mrjemm wrote:........ Don't get me wrong, I am pro wind, and it's use/development.......
.......I am presently looking to buy a sailing dinghy....

Err,well,you'd have to be :)

A suggestion,eat plenty beans :)
W H Auden
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

No trouble there... :oops: