Touring tyre recommendations

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk

Touring tyre recommendations

Post by noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk »

I have just rationalised my collection of bikes from 5 down to 3 and I'm going to use the proceeds to treat my Galaxy to a new set of wheels and tyres.

The plan is to buy a SON28/Sputnik front and XT/Sputnik rear from Spa Cycles.

I've had Schwalbe Marathons on the Galaxy from new and they have been very p*****re resistant but feel a bit "dead".

What would you recommend to replace them? My normal use for the Galaxy is loaded touring (incl. camping kit) on 3-4 day tours, but I also use it for lightly loaded days out.

Advice much appreciated thanks.

Noel
johnb

Re: Touring tyre recommendations

Post by johnb »

On a few tyre threads lately Continental gatorskins have been recommended.

The latest incarnation of XT hubs are being overlooked by most, LX hubs seem to be the hub of the moment
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

mararhon supremes, spa have them at £20 so you can get a good deal
vernon

Post by vernon »

I have used Panarace Pasela Tourguard tyres on my tourers and road bikes for the past six or seven years.

I highly rate them.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

vernon wrote:I have used Panarace Pasela Tourguard tyres on my tourers and road bikes for the past six or seven years.

I highly rate them.

+1 , Paselas are the biz. Quickest, most comfortable. It's all because of the thin sidewalls. They look great too.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk

Thanks for your comments - really helpful.

How are the Paselas for p*****ture resistance? (The Marathons have been great in that respect.)

Can anyone offer a comparison in ride quality between Pasela and Marathons?

Thanks also for the tip about LX hubs - I notice now that Spa fit those to their own tourer.

Noel
vernon

Post by vernon »

One puncture in six years with the Paselas.

I've inadvertently ridden one of them down to the canvas on one occasion and got away with it.

No tyre other than a solid rubber one can guarantee a puncture free life.
kuba

Post by kuba »

I have no experience with 700c Paselas, but had 26x1.75 on my rough stuff tourer. A much livelier tyre than Schwalbe Hurricane 2.0 (and worlds apart from XRs) BUT the pair I had punctured quite a lot compared to the Schwalbes (a couple of punctures in 3000K). Still, would recommend them for touring on tarmac with moderate loads. My partner has Panaracer 26x1.5 Hi-Roads and these never punctured, and they came on a second-hand bike (ca. 3000k mileage) and she covered another 2000k on them so far!

And yes they look great. Just always remember to carry a spare inner tube. :wink:
johnb

Post by johnb »

noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk wrote:Thanks for your comments - really helpful.

How are the Paselas for p*****ture resistance? (The Marathons have been great in that respect.)

Can anyone offer a comparison in ride quality between Pasela and Marathons?

Thanks also for the tip about LX hubs - I notice now that Spa fit those to their own tourer.

Noel

I should add Noel that Spa would have brought the XT issue to your attention anyway as they were one of the first to notice and highlight it.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I should add Noel that Spa would have brought the XT issue to your attention anyway as they were one of the first to notice and highlight it

I just ordered wheels from Spa and they told me not to have XT - LX are apparently more robust and cheaper.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk

Don't you just love that companies like Spa still exist!

My order will be going in this week. :D
djoptix

Post by djoptix »

I replaced my standard Marathons with Pasela TG on my Randonneur and it felt like a different bike (in a good way!)...
noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk

Thanks everyone - looks like a definite concensus here :D

Noel