Granny nav

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gilesjuk

Granny nav

Post by gilesjuk »

The latest in a increasing range of technological aids in cars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17785033

Personally I think the longer you let people stay on the road the more likely you'll have people dying at the wheel and ploughing into pedestrians. Not to mention there's a hazard of undiagnosed dementia meaning driver behaviour can be dangerous.

My mum thankfully gave up driving before she got her diagnosis of pick's disease, although she was already acting oddly on the road by pulling out on people saying "They'll have to slow down then". How is a piece of software going to cope with that?
reohn2

Re: Granny nav

Post by reohn2 »

gilesjuk wrote:Personally I think the longer you let people stay on the road the more likely you'll have people dying at the wheel and ploughing into pedestrians.

There's an element of drivers doing that ATM at all ages without dropping dead at the wheel.

Not to mention there's a hazard of undiagnosed dementia meaning driver behaviour can be dangerous.

Or the mention of drug and alcohol addiction whatever the age of drivers.

That said IMO Drivers over 75 should be independently accessed for their ability to drive,and also should have a medical exam every 12months.
There are a lot of very fit elderly people both mentally and physically.
There are also a lot of teenagers who shouldn't be driving and all ages inbetween IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

reohn2 wrote:Or the mention of drug and alcohol addiction whatever the age of drivers.

I wonder what the incident ratio is for the elderly to young in relation to impairment through drink or drugs (including prescribed)?

reohn2 wrote:That said IMO Drivers over 75 should be independently accessed for their ability to drive,and also should have a medical exam every 12months.

I thought they had to have a medical at that age?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
meic

Post by meic »

The deterioration isnt always overnight and my father had got quite dangerous before we had the courage to "report" him, via his GP. He was of course absolutely livid, so we got him the appeal forms but would not fill them in, or post them for him, to demonstrate that he was not as capable as he thought he was.
There is quite an overlap of increasingly poor driving until you reach crunch point of pulling the plug on somebody (very few volunteer to relinquish their holy right). Yet he would have been totally incapable of passing a test for years so that would have successfully prevented that dangerous cross over period.

I am pretty sure that my mother can no longer pass a test but she is safe, even if she does aggravate Mr Angry by not even reaching the speed limit on occasions. I dont think that it is right to deprive people of what in a rural community is a lifeline because they arent up to the standards required of a learner but do benefit from years of experience and know their limits.

If however this situation is considered too much of a safety risk and some sort of re-testing is required on a regular basis to pick up on failing standards, I dont see why it should be based on age, it should be triggered by any road incidents (inc speeding :shock: ) which bring the driving into question, regardless of the age of the driver or (this one normally makes many young safety activists change their tune :lol: ) we should ALL be subject to it on a regular basis.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:....... I dont see why it should be based on age, it should be triggered by any road incidents (inc speeding :shock: ) which bring the driving into question, regardless of the age of the driver or (this one normally makes many young safety activists change their tune :lol: ) we should ALL be subject to it on a regular basis.

Spot on,I agree totally.
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Working with old people almost every day, most are very responsible. On our community bus we see those who have given up car use, some for health reasons. It's quite devastating. Recently I have lost two bus drivers after their 70+ review, they lost their D1 minibus licences due to potential eyesight problems, but not their car licences. Anything like the granny nav, if it aids road safety is to be welcomed.

As for compulsary testing for car drivers, my feeling would be that this should come in at 80, and retested every three years. Observing the poor state of driver and cyclist behavior on the road, one is forced to think that more frequent driving tests would cure it but I doubt it.

Too many aggressive younger people are all too ready to criticise and denigrate the old. They should carefully reflect on their own aggressive world view.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 23 Apr 2012, 11:42am, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Edwards wrote:I wonder what the incident ratio is for the elderly to young in relation to impairment through drink or drugs (including prescribed)?

I've no idea but feel it's unfair of Giles to single out a particular age group.

reohn2 wrote:I thought they had to have a medical at that age?

Sorry I'm probably out of touch but who carries out the exam?
Someone's own GP could be biased.
There's no check on driving ability to my knowledge(see my reply to Meic's post).
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:.....Too many aggressive younger people are all too ready to criticise and denigrate the old. They should carefully reflect on their own aggressive world view.

Al

Spot on IMO.
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

My feeling is that if you set the age at 80 you will have missed most of the people that you are trying to "catch" and that things which are not purely a function of age but occur more with age (like dementia) will have passed their peak between 70 and 80. By the time you reach 80 you will probably be only testing those who are healthy but old.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bearing in mind that this is a cycling forum, the words "elephant" and "room" come to mind.

Phil Blythe, professor of intelligent transport systems at Newcastle University, said: "For many older people, particularly those living alone or in rural areas, driving is essential for maintaining their independence, giving them the freedom to get out and about without having to rely on others.

"And people base their whole lives around driving a car, having mobility.

"But we all have to accept that as we get older our reactions slow down and this often results in people avoiding any potentially challenging driving conditions and losing confidence in their driving skills. The result is that people stop driving before they really need to.

"What we are doing is to look at ways of keeping people driving safely for longer, which in turn boosts independence and keeps us socially connected."

What about all the people without access to motor cars, for whatever reason?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote:What about all the people without access to motor cars, for whatever reason?

This is a strong argument against our present transport system, which so favours the private car that public transport in many areas is vestigial and cycling ignored in road provision.
Even those in a household with a car are don't have very much personal mobility if they are too young or if the car is in use by another household member. The disabled, the poor, younger teenagers as well as the old whose powers are failing, don't have the full mobility that drivers take to be a right.
The incentive to become a fully privileged member of society is strong, but this is not attainable by everyone.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Granny Nav? This is a bit ageist and insulting isn't it?

Are we as rude about people who feel they have to use Macs, iPads, iPhones or big button Doro's because they feel they can't deal with anything more complex?

There are some people around who haven't reached old age, feel they cant handle technology or work out a less demanding route, and who would be pleased to have a so called 'Granny Nav' ! It doesn't depend solely on age

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
horizon

Post by horizon »

Many give up because their reaction times have slowed down - but this means they become more isolated and inactive.

That's a quote from the BBC report. Well that's bad news for those people (like me) who have every intention of giving up their car at the soonest possible opportunity in order to become less isolated and inactive.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Granny nav was mentioned in the article, it wasn't my choice of name.

I realise that there's bad driving by all ages. But the bad driving of the young is more about their general attitude, lack of experience and thrill seeking. It isn't really down to their health.

The argument is should technology be used to assist people on the roads?

As for iPads, iPhones and Macs. What do that have to do with an inability to use technology? just because someone doesn't want to mess around with things doesn't mean they can't. Some people deal with technology problems all day for their job and don't want to go home to do more of the same.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Loadsamoney could be made in gizmos to help "older drivers stay on the road". Virtually zero money could be made helping older people to cycle, walk or take a bus.

Meanwhile, a Dutch village seems to cope without any roads.