The most underrated pieces of cycle touring kit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dionherbike

The most underrated pieces of cycle touring kit

Post by dionherbike »

There is always lots of discussion about the newest and most essential piece of high-tech cycling equipment, but in the days where increasing amounts of pannier space are being taken up by chargers and adapters I wonder what people find is the most useful, most low-tech piece of kit they have and they just can't leave behind.

For me :D it's two things; ziplock bags that keep all your essentials dry without taking up too much space and are good for transporting food; Boots plastic shower cap, sold in packets of 3, good for keeping your saddle dry and thin enough to wear under your helmet (if, you know, you wear one, that is. :roll: ) when it's raining.
irc

Re: The most underrated pieces of cycle touring kit

Post by irc »

The piece of elastic tied to my bar that stretches over the brake lever to act as a hand brake. Useful for parking the bike against a pole as the ground doesn't need to be flat.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
sloe

Post by sloe »

Foam earplugs - a hostel essential.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

A pen - much ignored in this hi-tech world.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I have a pair of folding scissors that collapse to around 3" with the points hidden. They'll get through a cable tie or trim annoying threads off Conti GP4000s. I also carry a 3" flick- ahem pen-knife with a tiny torch incorporated. One-handed operation is great if you're already holding the thing to be cut with the other hand.

Plastic supermarket bag, acts as a windstopper inside my shirt on long descents, folds up small, can even be used (gasp) for carrying stuff in.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

The empty space at the top of the pannier. I'm amazed by how many tourists feel obliged to fill up all available storage space. I've done plenty of touring (including cycle-camping in Orkney in October, brrr!) and I've still not found a need for any more than two rear panniers and a cargo net on the racktop. I'm mystified by what people find to fill front panniers, barbags and trailers with...
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

Audax67 wrote:I have a pair of folding scissors that collapse to around 3" with the points hidden. They'll get through a cable tie or trim annoying threads off Conti GP4000s. I also carry a 3" flick- ahem pen-knife with a tiny torch incorporated. One-handed operation is great if you're already holding the thing to be cut with the other hand.

Plastic supermarket bag, acts as a windstopper inside my shirt on long descents, folds up small, can even be used (gasp) for carrying stuff in.

thermarest chair, very lightweight and comfortable
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

down jacket
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Always carry a toe-strap, infinite uses, but most often to secure raincoat to outside of trunk/saddlebag on a showery day so it's easy to get at.

http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/2009/11/the-toe-strap.html

http://www.bikehacks.com/bikehacks/2012/01/toe-strap-third-hand.html
meic

Post by meic »

simonhill wrote:A pen - much ignored in this hi-tech world.

A bit too much technology for me, I prefer the more reliable time tested, works in the wet pencil. :D

How about a J cloth (available free at all Tesco porches). 8)
Yma o Hyd
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

"Under" rated - Sudocream? :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

A small sponge or chamois to dry the tent!
alicej

Post by alicej »

A spork.
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

plastic bags to organise the contents of the panniers - keeps smelly stuff separate - and acts as a second line of defence against things getting wet
johnb

Post by johnb »

Baby wipes.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.