over night accomadation in Portsmouth ferry next day

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
lebarronblue

over night accomadation in Portsmouth ferry next day

Post by lebarronblue »

looking for a camp site in Portsmouth area for a single nights stay but all I can find is the Southsea Holiday and Leisure park site

http://www.southsealeisurepark.com/

Would rather keep the costs down so will be camping for 2 weeks

Any ideas on where else to stay that I may have over looked

Also does the Hayling Island Ferry run early in the morning and is it usable by cyclists I'm currently riding a recumbent trike,so small foot ferrys can be a pain for me to use
tatanab

Re: over night accomadation in Portsmouth ferry next day

Post by tatanab »

As above , there are a few on that website. Many are close to the main roads or railways, although you might not be bothered for one night. I've been thinking of few days down there myself and as an ex-resident I know where I might look. I am thinking of http://www.southhantscountryclub.co.uk/ ... -park.html which will be quieter. It is about 6 or 7 miles from the ferries.

I do not know about these days, but certainly when I lved there the Hayling ferry was used by cyclists although I very much doubt that a recumbent trike would get on without a deal of help. Timetable shows a 07:00 start http://www.haylingferry.co.uk/?Timetabl ... p%3B_Fares
hamster

Post by hamster »

Portsmouth is a very densely populated place, the densest city in the UK. There's barely any space at all. I would look to stay a way off on a direct rail route. It's only about 10 mins ride from Portsmouth & Southsea station to the ferry port.
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

You have pm
dinger207

Post by dinger207 »

Try campinmygarden.com
AllanJ

Post by AllanJ »

There's a nice campsite at Fishery creek on Hayling and I reckon you'd be fine on the ferry - board last and just stay on the middle section of the boat.

Cheers
Allan
CJ

Post by CJ »

There's a not-much-advertised campsite in Denmead at Inhams Farm, Inhams Lane, proprietor: Greta Bendall. It's only a few miles and virtually all downhill from there to the ferries. Sorry I can't find the phone number right now, but I've camped there myself about 20 years ago and more recently arranged for CTC tour participants to leave their cars up there - more cheaply and less saltily than in the ferry carparks!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
NancyN

Post by NancyN »

Just a very short ferry ride across Portsmouth harbour -that is, from The Hard which is where the train/ bus stations are- is the Gosport peninsula. About 2-3 miles from the Gosport Hard (where ferry gets in) is the following caravan and camping site. I would contact to confirm they take tents but it appears so from their description:
http://www.kingfisher-caravan-park.co.uk/

Ferries take bikes and passenger for about £3.00 return. Ferries run every 7.5 mins at peak and15 mins non-peak times. Crossing is 3 mins. Good luck whatever you decide. Nancy
southamptonadi

Post by southamptonadi »

Plenty of great options, but to be fair i have stayed at the southsea campsite, (and im a soton boy) i found it fine, i believe a lot of caranvaners use it as a stop of for the ferry aswell. We used it for a weekend while we attended a wedding up the road.

And there is Ellerslie Camping & Caravan Park on Down End Road in fareham (cant comment) which is a short scoot down the A27 into Pompy.

Adi
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The ferry terminal?

Mat on the floor, sleeping bag on top, cheap and easy. Ideal for an early morning departure.
Penfold
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)

Post by Penfold »

Take care because the ferry terminal is locked up overnight with no one allowed in. They only open the doors at about 0600 hrs to allow foot passengers etc to book in.
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I have taken the recumbent trikes on the HI ferry on a number of occasions.

BUT....

It does get busy at commuting times and this may limit your access.

Their contact details are here, I would give them a ring to check when you know your ferry times.

ANother alternative is the Kingfisher Caravan Park in Gosport. The run along stokes bay to the Gosport Ferry is excellent with views across to the Isle of Wight. Then across on the Gosport Ferry (runs from 05:30) which will take absolutely anything wheeled and nip up to the Ferry