Why personal accident insurance might be worth having

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Anglian

Why personal accident insurance might be worth having

Post by Anglian »

Lots of cyclists don't seem to carry insurance against the consequences of accidents where liability for their own injuries is theirs.

This recent case of a motorcyclist who lost a leg is a warning:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/A- ... 052012.htm

Warmest regards,
Anglian
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Why personal accident insurance might be worth having

Post by Mick F »

It isn't clear from the report what sort of insurance the M/C had.

If he'd had fully comp, wouldn't his insurance have paid out? He must've just had 3rd party.
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Comprehensive motor insurance doesn't cover you for personal injuries. It covers you as per third party insurance + loss or damage to your property. You need personal injury insurance for this but this was not the issue in this case, the motorcyclists was using a solicitor to try and aportion some of the blame to the lorry driver,
NUKe

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The county court had ruled the lorry firm was primarily liable for the crash after hearing the driver had been partly over the middle white line just before the collision.
Mr Whiteford accepted he was also partly at fault, because the correct line for a motorcycle taking the corner would have been in the middle of his lane and not towards the right, where he was.
At the appeal Jonathan Watt-Pringle QC, for the lorry firm, argued the judge was wrong to impose so high a standard of driving on the man behind the wheel.
He added: “The collision occurred for one reason and one reason only, and that is because the claimant was driving right close to the centre when he accepted that the course should have been a very different one.”
Allowing the appeal, Lord Justice Richards said: “A finding of negligence in this case would, to my mind, be to impose an unacceptably high standard on the driver.”

So keeping to your own lane is now "too high a standard" of driving for an HGV driver (surely the second most highly trained drivers on our roads (behind emergency response drivers))

I'd have thought that a percentage payout would be justified, not zero.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There are all sorts of ways to get a serious injury and not all by any means will result in a big payout by somebody else.

There's a pretty obvious causal link between disability and poverty in our society. Some people manage it very well. As I type this, I can see the young man over the road who is sitting in his wheelchair having a fag. He's just celebrated (if that's the right word) the passage of 10 years since he fell from a tree while at university and broke his back. He has a freelance business as a consultant/ writer on travel for the disabled, access etc.

Unfortunately, this is another form of insurance that tends to be peddled by commission-driven people with no real knowledge of the subject. IMO.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NUKe wrote:Comprehensive motor insurance doesn't cover you for personal injuries.
Mine does. Just checked.

My personal injury cover is up to a max of £10,000
Mick F. Cornwall
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Insurance and compensation seem to be a way of eliminating the need to deal with problems. Just give people money and say sorry rather than try to stop such serious accidents and mistakes happening in the first place.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Money doesn't bring happiness but having none can make life miserable.

Disability can substantially reduce a person's earning power and philosophy doesn't pay the bills.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Mick F - I think you will find that the Personal Accident insurance given in a motor policy only covers accidents involving being in a motor vehicle (some just the insured vehicle, others in any vehicle but not motor cycles).

A stand alone policy will cover any accident that is not specifically excluded -i.e high risk activities - most of which can be added for additional premium.
irc

Post by irc »

The collision occurred for one reason and one reason only, and that is because the claimant was driving right close to the centre when he accepted that the course should have been a very different one

Wrong. The collision occurred for two reasons. The HGC crossed the line and the biker was too far too the right. So it was shared blame, the biker didn't take the ideal line and the HGV driver didn't stay on his side of the road.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Mick F wrote:
NUKe wrote:Comprehensive motor insurance doesn't cover you for personal injuries.
Mine does. Just checked.

My personal injury cover is up to a max of £10,000

I stand corrected. Just checked and a lot of companies are now offereing this as part of the policy, 10,000 does not go far if your left disabled by an accident. How bad do you need to be to get the full
£10k And how many exclusions are there?
NUKe

Post by kwackers »

irc wrote:Wrong. The collision occurred for two reasons. The HGC crossed the line and the biker was too far too the right. So it was shared blame, the biker didn't take the ideal line and the HGV driver didn't stay on his side of the road.

I haven't seen the road but I'm guessing it's a road with a dashed centre line? If it was solid then imo the blame is entirely the fault of the lorry driver.
Talk of "ideal lines" is a nonsense, "ideal" as in a racing line? There are dozens of reasons you don't keep to an "ideal" line, might be avoiding drain covers, litter or fluffy rabbits and ducklings.

Given the biker was on his side of the road and the lorry wasn't I think it's a harsh decision.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

We do not know why the truck was over the line, could have just passed a cyclist or did not fit in the space. The report does say before they came together not at the point of impact.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Edwards wrote:We do not know why the truck was over the line, could have just passed a cyclist or did not fit in the space. The report does say before they came together not at the point of impact.

He's still be in the wrong. If he couldn't overtake the cyclist safely then he should have hung back and waited.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

It's a perverse decision, on the face of it. I can't find any more information about the case online.

I dunno why the lorry had crossed the middle line. However, nor do I know why the motorcyclist didn't see the lorry and avoid it.