carrying a huge smartphone!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
roadvader

carrying a huge smartphone!

Post by roadvader »

so at moment i carry my i-phone in my jersey pocket but its kinda heavy,that and my spare tube/levers/tiny pump,
i dont like a pump on my bike it makes it feel cluttered! :lol: so back to smart phone how do you carry yours?
bar mount? one of those velcro arm band devices? gaffer tape to top tube? :D
sorry love not tonight im shaving my legs...
swansonj

Re: carrying a huge smartphone!

Post by swansonj »

In a single pannier?
roadvader

Post by roadvader »

swansonj wrote:In a single pannier?

:lol: ,i may just leave it at home and just carry my old w995
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Option A:

Tape it to one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-z-eye-mirror/

Option B:

Put the rest of the junk in a saddle pack and just have phone, fags and sausages in the jersey pocket.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

roadvader wrote:so at moment i carry my i-phone in my jersey pocket but its kinda heavy,that and my spare tube/levers/tiny pump,
i dont like a pump on my bike it makes it feel cluttered! :lol: so back to smart phone how do you carry yours?
bar mount? one of those velcro arm band devices? gaffer tape to top tube? :D

I think you're looking at it the wrong way round. It's the bike repair kit that shouldn't be in your jersey pocket. Pump on the bike, that's where it belongs. Spare tube/levers/patches/multitool in a small seatpack. Why have them weighing down your jersey?
I used to keep the phone in the seat pack until the day that, somewhere on a 90-mile ride in France, the pack unzipped enough to let the phone drop out onto the road. It was never seen again. Now my phone lives in a Neoprene cover, in my jersey pocket.
roadvader

Post by roadvader »

not a fan of seat packs,not a fan of anything that rattles about,i s'times put levers etc in an old bottle with a rag,depends on the ride really,s'times i carry a really small camelbak to,but these phones are pretty big arent they!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Do a search for Carradice in google they have many solutions to your problem.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

roadvader wrote: ... but these phones are pretty big arent they!
Sounds like a job for MickF's trailer.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

There are dangers to having smartphones in your back pocket.

This is from when my LHcrank couldn't handle the power I was putting through it and snapped and I landed on the exact location of my phone in my jersey pocket :(
Attachments
IMAG0962-1-1.jpg
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

Eurohike "Travel Document Wallet"

eurohikebag.jpg

Hangs under your armpit - you soon forget it's there.

They vary in pattern, but I've never been without music and used to carry CD players.
I've now slimmed down to a smartphone plus one or two emergency MP3 players.

The phone itself is in a protective wallet.
roadvader

Post by roadvader »

thats quite smart gentlegreen,does it not slide round though?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I use an arm strap.

Although an amount of the time I use it strapped onto the bottle just ahead of me ('bent trike)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mine is in a leather sleeve in the bar bag. If there's no bar bag its in with my wallet and keys in my two tier £4.99 saddle pouch from Aldi. The lower tier has spare tube, mutitool, tyre levers etc. It's switched off, I don't take calls when out riding, only make a call in an emergency.
Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

roadvader wrote:thats quite smart gentlegreen,does it not slide round though?

It might well be an issue with drop bars ... and in bad weather I like to keep it under a loose jacket rather than putting a bag over it. But I've done tens of thousands of miles - everything's in there - at the moment including the big Allen key for the crank. I never leave the house without it.
In contrast I would never wear a backpack and I have a rear basket and two small panniers.
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

roadvader wrote:not a fan of seat packs,not a fan of anything that rattles about,i s'times put levers etc in an old bottle with a rag,depends on the ride really,s'times i carry a really small camelbak to,but these phones are pretty big arent they!

I use a seat pack for my tool kit & it never rattles. The spare tube holds everything tight so nothing can move.
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com