membership

kwackers
Posts: 14011
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: membership

Postby kwackers » 22 Apr 2012, 4:10pm

gaz wrote:Clearly it's not intended to include "unwaged" Company Directors who receive income by way of Share Dividend rather than wages, thereby avoiding income tax;

As a point of interest you'd actually pay yourself the maximum wage before taxes (around 8k). Beyond that you can pay yourself via dividends but normal capital gains allowances and taxes apply.
It's not tax free either, you either choose to pay income tax on it or corporation tax - usually though the corporation tax works out a bit cheaper.

thirdcrank
Posts: 28686
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: membership

Postby thirdcrank » 22 Apr 2012, 5:17pm

To avoid a discussion about tax wheezes, I'll suggest that the only sensible (ie not daft) way to do this would be to limit it to people in receipt of means-tested benefits and more specifically, Income Support and Income-based Job Seekers'. Anything else means that people in work on low wages are subsiding people who are potentially much better off.

peter236uk
Posts: 543
Joined: 14 Feb 2007, 1:44pm

Re: membership

Postby peter236uk » 23 Apr 2012, 12:39pm

I guess with any membership of any organisation you have to look at what you get out of it. I honestly have say very little for my £39 in my view the magazine is not great. I guess the forum is good however thats open to non members so no issue.
If it was members only that might be better ?

porky
Posts: 128
Joined: 14 May 2010, 1:06pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: membership

Postby porky » 24 Apr 2012, 1:25am

I joined CTC when I read about the successful campaign to resist some of the sillier proposals for the Highway Code (applying pressure on cyclists to use unsuitable cycle paths, etc.). I though that any organisation that respresented my interests in this way was welcome to some of my cash.

In some ways CTC has been a bit of a let down. I don't feel like I am a member of anything. I don't bother with the local groups as they don't cater for the type of cycling I enjoy. I have never taken part in any events, I have never met another CTC member. The magazine is OK, but W H Smith is full of magazines that I could buy.

The best thing about CTC is this forum, but it's free to anyone (and that's a good thing). I have also had the odd discount at Cotswold outdoor shops.

So is CTC a good use of my limited finances? I'm really not sure, it is of some value, but it could be a whole lot better.
My car does 40 miles on a gallon of petrol, my bike will do that on a mug of tea and a slice of cake.

User avatar
Benethi
Posts: 303
Joined: 6 Jun 2010, 9:50pm

Re: membership

Postby Benethi » 31 May 2012, 10:47pm

My membership is up for renewal in the next week, and I'm just considering whether to renew or whether to divert to British Cycling.

Does anyone have much experience with what you actually get from British Cycling?

:) It's £15 cheaper,
:( but you don't get the magazine, which I'm not going to say is great, but I usually read a fair bit of it.
:) As far as I know it doesn't pretend to be a charity.
:?: It has a weekly email - I always read Cycleclips so hopefully this'd be along the same lines.
:( It is of course more geared towards racers than tourists, but don't know how much difference this actually makes
:?: if I ever ride competitively I'd need to pay an extra £12 for the insurance for BC - what counts as competitively - when I'm 'racing' a car to the traffic lights because he's on my tale and trying to overtake for the sake of overtaking? When I'm out with my mates and I decide to try and beat Fred to the pub? When I'm doing a club time trial? Or just when I'm in an official organised race? As long as it's not the first one I'm ok as I rarely go out on any club runs let alone time trials and I don't have any mates, but nonetheless I thought I'd ask.


also, if I go on Wiggle I can get 15 months of CTC membership for £36 - anyone know if can I do this as an existing member?

edit to add:
:) if i stay as a member for another 23 years I'll get a badge
"Frankly, I’m suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue" - Scott Adams
Photos:
Scott's Travels 2010
Sparky's Travels 2012
Sparky's Travels 2013
:)

User avatar
robgul
Posts: 2963
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 8:40pm
Contact:

Re: membership

Postby robgul » 1 Jun 2012, 8:19am

It hurts me to say this as I despair of CTC ... but I would stay with CTC

BC's weekly newsletter is very thin on content, there is almost nothing on the site that is not racing related - and you seem to get a lot of "promotional offers" from Sky et al.

I joined BC for the sole reason of getting priority (and discounted) bookings for track event tickets (Revolution & the Olympic test event) .... I doubt that I'll renew.

Rob

User avatar
Alex L
Posts: 625
Joined: 13 Sep 2011, 12:31am
Location: Staffordshire

Re: membership

Postby Alex L » 1 Jun 2012, 12:06pm

thirdcrank wrote:I only mentioned the P45 because when I retired at the ripe old age of 52½, that's exactly what the CTC membership application info said was suitable as evidence of being "unwaged."

PS All that quote from snakes says to me is that he doesn't understand the benefits system very well (which is understandable because many people are in the same boat.) Jobseekers' is a case in point. When I retired, I could have signed on, on the basis that I was looking for work and I'd have got contribution-based JSA for nine months, no matter what my income.

In any case, the reality - as MickF points out - is that if you have at least some forms of income - in his case a service pension following a long career in the Royal Navy - then you will be treated as "unwaged" so long as you are not working (when the P45 would have gone to the new employer.) And as he said a bit higher up, that's daft.


I'm unwaged at the moment but on renewal I'll have to pay adult prices. They didn't ask for any reason other than you say you're a student. We'll trust you...

I could be on 100k for all they know :lol:

User avatar
Benethi
Posts: 303
Joined: 6 Jun 2010, 9:50pm

Re: membership

Postby Benethi » 2 Jun 2012, 11:21pm

robgul wrote:It hurts me to say this as I despair of CTC ... but I would stay with CTC

BC's weekly newsletter is very thin on content, there is almost nothing on the site that is not racing related - and you seem to get a lot of "promotional offers" from Sky et al.

I joined BC for the sole reason of getting priority (and discounted) bookings for track event tickets (Revolution & the Olympic test event) .... I doubt that I'll renew.

Rob


Thanks, I guess I'll be renewing then. Much though I dislike the whole charity thing, I'd prefer to stick with CTC - just wanted to make sure I knew the options...
"Frankly, I’m suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue" - Scott Adams
Photos:
Scott's Travels 2010
Sparky's Travels 2012
Sparky's Travels 2013
:)

sr19mc
Posts: 2
Joined: 19 Jul 2009, 5:35pm

Re: membership

Postby sr19mc » 3 Jun 2012, 5:49pm

No, CTC full membership is not good value. My membership expires at the end of this month. After 21 years continuous membership I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I'm very tempted to let it lapse.

Also, I note that the rate will be increased by 5% to £41 in October. I haven't had a pay rise in the last 5 years (and I probably should consider myself lucky that I haven't had a pay cut....). What exactly was the advantage of becoming a charity supposed to be? I seem to recall that it was something to do with using income more efficiently but I must be mistaken.... I'm amazed that this increase apparently received so much support at the AGM.

My local group now doesn't receive a penny from the national CTC (in theory they could but they don't have a bank account so it's not worth the hassle because the bank charges would cancel out any benefit....).

Karen Sutton
Posts: 608
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:18pm
Location: Greater Manchester

Re: membership

Postby Karen Sutton » 7 Jun 2012, 9:47am

sr19mc wrote:No, CTC full membership is not good value. My membership expires at the end of this month. After 21 years continuous membership I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I'm very tempted to let it lapse.

Also, I note that the rate will be increased by 5% to £41 in October. I haven't had a pay rise in the last 5 years (and I probably should consider myself lucky that I haven't had a pay cut....). What exactly was the advantage of becoming a charity supposed to be? I seem to recall that it was something to do with using income more efficiently but I must be mistaken.... I'm amazed that this increase apparently received so much support at the AGM.

My local group now doesn't receive a penny from the national CTC (in theory they could but they don't have a bank account so it's not worth the hassle because the bank charges would cancel out any benefit....).


I wonder whether any groups will be able to receive any funds from CTC after the full charity conversion has taken place.

Regulator
Posts: 523
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 10:13am

Re: membership

Postby Regulator » 13 Jun 2012, 6:35pm

Well, I've just cancelled my membership. I don't want to be part of an organisation which lies to and misleads its members.

Karen Sutton
Posts: 608
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:18pm
Location: Greater Manchester

Re: membership

Postby Karen Sutton » 14 Jun 2012, 12:38am

Regulator wrote:Well, I've just cancelled my membership. I don't want to be part of an organisation which lies to and misleads its members.


I'm not surprised Greg. I won't be renewing mine when it comes up. Not being in London and having the benefit of the LCC I will have to find an alternative for insurance if nothing else before mine expires in a year or so.

All the best to you.
Karen

JT
Posts: 90
Joined: 18 Feb 2007, 10:18pm
Location: Peterborough
Contact:

Re: membership

Postby JT » 14 Jun 2012, 8:57am

I'm resigning as Secretary and two other roles at our next AGM.

We're only a small club so I'll continue to lead rides until my membership expires next May. I won't be renewing.

Regulator
Posts: 523
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 10:13am

Re: membership

Postby Regulator » 14 Jun 2012, 10:58am

Karen Sutton wrote:
Regulator wrote:Well, I've just cancelled my membership. I don't want to be part of an organisation which lies to and misleads its members.


I'm not surprised Greg. I won't be renewing mine when it comes up. Not being in London and having the benefit of the LCC I will have to find an alternative for insurance if nothing else before mine expires in a year or so.

All the best to you.
Karen


You don't have to live in London to be a member of LCC and get the benefits...

Karen Sutton
Posts: 608
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:18pm
Location: Greater Manchester

Re: membership

Postby Karen Sutton » 14 Jun 2012, 8:32pm

Regulator wrote:
Karen Sutton wrote:
Regulator wrote:Well, I've just cancelled my membership. I don't want to be part of an organisation which lies to and misleads its members.


I'm not surprised Greg. I won't be renewing mine when it comes up. Not being in London and having the benefit of the LCC I will have to find an alternative for insurance if nothing else before mine expires in a year or so.

All the best to you.
Karen


You don't have to live in London to be a member of LCC and get the benefits...


I might look at that then. I'm a commuted member of CTC and can't remember if it runs out this autumn or next year