counter of passing cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
DougieB

counter of passing cyclists

Post by DougieB »

I pass this every morning on the ride to work. no idea who the suspicious looking guy is, but the counter seems to me to be a good thing to have on the street (on a main cycle route).

IMG_0062.jpg
flat tyre

Re: counter of passing cyclists

Post by flat tyre »

22 Degrees? Let me know where this is I need to go there NOW!
Tasker

Post by Tasker »

What a great idea. I've often wondered if those traffic censor tube things they put across the road also record people on bikes - but there again, they're probably not interested in us. :(
rjb

Post by rjb »

How many does it count for a tandem ...... :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

flat tyre wrote:22 Degrees? Let me know where this is I need to go there NOW!

Barcelona, 22 degrees at 8 am :-)
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

rjb wrote:How many does it count for a tandem ...... :roll:

Go by it twice then ! :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

Do they they fix the potholes when the counter reaches 1.2 million?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

there aren't any potholes. well, there's slight burning of tarmac when the unemployed/public sector burn the bins to protest about, um, 'stuff'.

really, if your goal in life is a great cycle commute to work, then come to Barcelona. great tarmac, great weather (mostly), excellent cycle infrastructure, plenty of fixie-hipsters to demolish on the route home :)
Eammno

Post by Eammno »

Also seen on the A23 heading into Brighton - as a bonus it was working at the weekend!
Temperature read out is lower though 8)
pau1ine

Post by pau1ine »

Tasker wrote:What a great idea. I've often wondered if those traffic censor tube things they put across the road also record people on bikes - but there again, they're probably not interested in us. :(

Sadly the technology to record motor traffic isn't sensitive enough to pick up lightweights like cyclists.
Automatic traffic counters are sometimes installed in cyclepaths but they must be set up for only picking up bikes.
(yes I am a geek)
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

I'll have a look tomorrow, but this one must be triggered by a light beam. there's no cable on the path that you roll-over, like the heavy traffic versions.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

DougieB wrote:...really, if your goal in life is a great cycle commute to work, then come to Barcelona...

I'm not sure I'd want to do North-East Spain to Bedfordshire every day. :shock: :lol:
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

DougieB wrote:I'll have a look tomorrow, but this one must be triggered by a light beam. there's no cable on the path that you roll-over, like the heavy traffic versions.

Could easy be an induction loop which they've laid before the tarmac (rather than the seeming convention here, which is to lay tarmac then dig it up to put in services)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tasker

Post by Tasker »

'Automatic traffic counters are sometimes installed in cyclepaths but they must be set up for only picking up bikes.
(yes I am a geek)'

Thank you for that, I've often wondered about it.
woodybrighton

Post by woodybrighton »

Brighton spent £25k actually european money on a couple last year both broken now :(