Targetting Young Adults

George Riches

Targetting Young Adults

Post by George Riches »

From the National Travel Survey
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d ... 039311.pdf

"The proportion of young driving licence holders has decreased sharply.
26 per cent of those aged 17-20 now hold a licence, compared with 48 per
cent in 1992/1994. Possible reasons for this include the increasing
difficulty of passing the driving test (including the theory test
introduced in 1996); increased costs of lessons and insurance; and more
young people are students and unable to afford cars."

Should we be giving this "market" more attention? Personally I really
only took up cycling when I was 19.
handallyingharry

Re:Targetting Young Adults

Post by handallyingharry »

I got a car when I was 27, doing without while I lived in london, and no bike either, then started out on the epic life's journey with Bike at 31, becoz
car was becoming a bad habit. Became bikes only
1997, and broke my leg on Motorbike by getting too keen on 2 wheels. Now car dependent.

Handally
B

Post by B »

Though I agree any opportunity should be taken to promote cycling surely many cyclists are at the younger end of the age range in any case. I was a cyclist in my early to mid-teens because I had to be (to get to my Saturday job etc) and consequently found I enjoyed it and did a few cycle tours. However motorbikes and cars later took over.

In York, my local city, which has well-recognised traffic problems I would still say that most cyclists are under 25 but will eventually 'upgrade' to motorised transport. What's needed is to convince people of all ages to get on their bikes and stay there!
George Riches

Post by George Riches »

People take up cycling for all sorts of reasons. To avoid bombs on trains, avoid congestion charges, save money, lose flab, exercise their heart/lungs etc.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that the under 18's are being targeted by the cycle training schemes in schools and "Safer Routes to Schools", but government is not so aware of the potential of better cycle routes to and facilities at Further/Higher Education sites.
B

Post by B »

I think that it is the safety (or perception of danger) aspect which is the underlying problem. So many people who I talk to who don't cycle say that it is 'too dangerous'. I really do think that if every new road or re-built road had a cycle lane (separated from the main carriageway by a grass verge or a physical barrier) people would be more likely to regard the whole exercise as 'safe'.
handallyingharry

George,
It may be that FE/HE colleges and sixthform don't promote cycling as it is a tad near to motor cycling in that age range, and that is the one thing that parents DO NOT want them to do and yet don not themselves dare to say so for fear of contraraction!
That is my guess if wot u say is true.

Handally
handallyingharry

B
Yes and the problem with traffic free and
Sustrans routes is that they are popularised for the cyclist only to be used at a later date as quick ways or alternative routes. B road traffic is set to double in UK in the next ten years.... many of them currently recommended by Council initiatives and Sustrans mapping.

Handy
gar

Post by gar »

Cycling for life is a wortwhile campaign
but looking at the accidents that older
men have with broken limbs just from
falling from their bikes, one wonders about the wisdom of some of the octogenarians 980s)
who go out with the Wanderers on Wednesday
and Saturday looking distinctly wobbly!

As dedicated sportsmen say though it may be a good way of dying.

gar