North Shields Ferry to IJmuiden (Amsterdam)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bicigran

North Shields Ferry to IJmuiden (Amsterdam)

Post by bicigran »

This is a disability question. How easy is it to disembark from the ferry and are the cycle path signs obvious at IJmuiden? Does one have to 'turn' handlebars when securing bicycle on ferry? I would like to use the north sea route to meet up with other disabled cyclists at Delft. I am having difficulty finding out where I can buy suitable maps. This could be having to google with a screen reader however!
pal

Re: North Shields Ferry to IJmuiden (Amsterdam)

Post by pal »

Embarking and disembarking are very easy: you go up the same ramp as the cars, and can either ride or walk. (The ramp can be a bit slippery if it's wet, so walking can be a better option if you're a bit uncertain. But riding is more fun!) No need to turn the bars or do anything else to the bike: the crew will tell you where to leave it, and should also give you a bit of rope with which to tie it down (it might be worth taking a couple of bungees, too, if your knots aren't quite up to nautical standards...)

I've only cycled into the port at Ijmuiden, and it was a bit tricky to find the right road (though cycle paths weren't a problem). Getting out of the port would be much more straightforward, I think: just head inland (down the 'Kanaldijk') until you pick up the LF1/North sea route?

For maps: the ANWB produce good cycle maps of the Netherlands; you could get these from Stanfords or the (very good) Map Shop: http://www.themapshop.co.uk/europe/rest/Netherlands.htm. There's an online routeplanner here: http://www.fietsvakantie.eu/ It's in Dutch, but not too hard to work out (put your start and end points in the 'Van' and 'Naar' boxes; then click 'Bereken route').
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

hi,

I have taken the same ferry, and cycled out of the port. the seamen (?) on the ferry are very busy while loading and unloading the cargo of (mainly) cars. but, I have always found them very helpful (cycling and motorbiking), and they are there to make sure you and your bike are 'fit for travel'. I'm not sure what you mean by 'turn the bars', but generally you'll be pointed to a location up against the edge of the cargo bay. On various ferry trips I've lashed the bike down, and sometimes not bothered. I think on the ferry you're talking about I just slipped my lock around one of the various bits of pipework. just speak to the guys doing the loading (if you need assistance/time), and you'll be fine.

coming out of the port, it's a long straight road (remember the opposite side of the road), and then there are signs but it depends where you are heading. I don't know Delft, but I just looked it up and see it's in/by Den Haag. When I got that ferry I met a couple who had been touring in Yorkshire and lived in Den Haag. I was heading to Rotterdam, and I joined them on the way to Den Haag (home for them). It was 100% on tarmac cycle tracks through the dunes, pretty amazing really. it was a great day cycling.

I don't know if Google Maps works for you, but I had something like the following map printed out : http://www.routeyou.com/route/view/3300 ... tterdam.en (zoom in to get the street turnings for port exit).

I'm not sure I've actually answered anything here, I'm afraid. when are you going ?

cheers,
Doug
edwin

Post by edwin »

Hi,

As the others wrote, embarking and disembarking is quite easy. Just get or ride your bike to the place you are told, fix it, lock it and take the luggage you need for the night.This is the situation at the harbour at Google. The ship you see at Felison Terminal might be yours. We were there on a weekend, so traffic was not a problem. Might be different other times. As far as I remember, there is no cycle path in the harbour area. You can use streetview to get used to the situation.
This is the situation at OpenCycleMap. The blue or red lines are signposted cycle pathes. The numbers are "knooppunten" "node points". These numbers are on the signs of the cycle paths. The red paths is the LF1 or NSCR that you need for Delft. So you should try to get to knooppunt 03, 04 or 05.
As I remember it was rather easy to ride through Ijmuiden. Just try to reach 92, then 06, 05 and 07 and you are on your way.

Bon Voyage

Edwin
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Not directly to do with your post but using a strong elastic band or bungee or toe strap to clamp your brake levers so that the brakes are applied will do a great deal to prevent the bike moving about at sea.
bicigran

Post by bicigran »

Thank you all so much for the maps and information, I really appreciate this as because of a head injury I can't read print and screen readers whilst useful are limited with not great diction so searching can be difficult. I feel less nervous about getting on and off the ferry now. I shall use the 'apply brakes' tip as it is a special bike and I do worry about it getting damaged as whilst I can cycle I can't walk well. I shall go as soon as my daughter in law gives me time off from the babysitting, end of June or early July. Once on the cycle route I shall be fine. I am probably being too optimistic but I thought I would just find accommodation as I went as I do like to vere off and explore.
re: 'turning' of handlebars - European Cycle Express ask for handlebars to be turned which would not be easy for me to do.
Many thanks
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

"re: 'turning' of handlebars - European Cycle Express ask for handlebars to be turned which would not be easy for me to do."

ahh, I get you. no, you do not need to do that at all.

cheers,
Doug
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

bicigran wrote:re: 'turning' of handlebars - European Cycle Express ask for handlebars to be turned which would not be easy for me to do.
Many thanks

I think if you turned up with the appropriate allen key some one would do that for you. It only takes a few seconds.
I hope you have a successful and enjoyable time.