What single/fixie do you ride?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
sully op

What single/fixie do you ride?

Post by sully op »

rep your bike :D i'm riding Charge Plug
philg

Re: What single/fixie do you ride?

Post by philg »

On-one Pompino; 1964 Carlton & 1980's Raeigh (all fixed)
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

I have an Alf Webb, alloy frome and forks. 70" gear.

My first fixed gear bike was a 50s Sun Wasp. I sold it for a tenner when I was on £16 per week. :roll:

Have you visited Fixed Gear Gallery? www.fixedgeargallery.com
Si

Post by Si »

Fred Williams Light Weight Special, 653 tubes, fixed
GT Zaskar SS.
sully op

Post by sully op »

beachcomber wrote:I have an Alf Webb, alloy frome and forks. 70" gear.

My first fixed gear bike was a 50s Sun Wasp. I sold it for a tenner when I was on £16 per week. :roll:

Have you visited Fixed Gear Gallery? http://www.fixedgeargallery.com

ha..I've sold far too much stuff i wish i had now!

nice site
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Moulton Mini.

Sach Torpedo coaster.
cyclingvirtual

Post by cyclingvirtual »

Pearson Touche

Last edited by cyclingvirtual on 8 Aug 2012, 6:19pm, edited 2 times in total.
vorsprung

Post by vorsprung »

I was riding an audax in Cornwall on one of those cheap Tange Frames that SJS used to do
The bike had an 8 speed triple but then a stick flicked into the drive train took out the derailluer, broke a couple of spokes
I converted it to single speed and carried on riding. I got lost and lost a bit of time so didn't complete the audax but I managed to make it back to the hall

After this the bike had to stay a single speed as the derailluer hanger had rusted out. Now, you know that you always keep those old 8 speed chains and cassettes and stuff "just in case they come in handy"? Well make a single speed like this and suddenly all that crap is handy! I never ran out of chains or sprockets!

I used a 66" or 70" gear and it was fine in Devon as long as I was careful with the route to avoid the really steep stuff
One winter I did do occasional 70 mile round trip commutes over Exmoor on it.

Alas, after a few years of riding in all weathers with my causal attitude towards maintenance the headset froze and I couldn't change the headset bearings
The headset got stiffer and notchier. I bought another bike to do the commute on. I took the wheels off and sold the brake levers.

Eventually the frame with the frozen headset went to the dump. I offered the frame to friends but a 24" rusty frame has limited appeal. Maybe one day I'll have another 1 speed bike, but I doubt it. My knees aren't getting any younger

Here is a picture of it on a sunny day. You will notice from the picture that it still has the triple chainset on. Funny, the middle ring kept wearing out.

single speed by vorsprung2009, on Flickr
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

Centrum Sport fixed - 86" (I think it is 86"? - 26" wheels with 53/16)
I have several bikes but use this one 99% of the time - this was the only affordable bike I could find which could be fixed and have a disc front brake

martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

i currently have 1 x fixie built round an unknown track or path frame , this is my first time with a fixed bike and really enjoying commuting on it ,see pic below of frameset before work started . i also have an alloy framed single speed bike built round an ex triathlon from that has a stem siezed in down tube , this has been my all weather bike that i show little respect to again great fun to ride but due to its short wheelbase can be twitchy . i am also just starting another single speed build based around an MBK frame that if memorey serves me right is chromalloy but dont quote me .
Attachments
track4.jpg
crazyferret

Post by crazyferret »

I ride a Duel Solo fixed 74.2" Columbus SL tubing. Its my first single speed, its brilliant, especially not having to take my feet out of the clips at traffic lights.
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

Just finished rebuilding this one - I have converted it to fixed (80")
Not sure what make it is, could be a Phillips c1950 (still looking into this)

Si

Post by Si »

80 inches? with all that iron work on the front...you'll soon have thighs like tree trunks :P Very nice looking bike.
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

Si wrote:80 inches? with all that iron work on the front...you'll soon have thighs like tree trunks :P Very nice looking bike.

lol - yes, I know it is far to high by all normal wisdom, but it is what works for me (I think I have slow speed legs ;-) )
songsforpolarbears

Post by songsforpolarbears »

I watched the Mash SF movie. I understand I got a rather distorted view of riding a fixie :shock: , but I know I want one.

Would a horizontal dropout or a track fork be more suitable? If I'm a 56/57cm frame on a road bike am I the same on a fixie?

Thank you very much. Enjoying looking at the beautiful bikes on this thread.
Last edited by songsforpolarbears on 24 Jun 2012, 2:12am, edited 1 time in total.