iPhone apps useful on a bike tour (e.g. good GPS?)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Boab

Re: iPhone apps useful on a bike tour (e.g. good GPS?)

Post by Boab »

I have just ordered an android phone..htc s or something, unlocked.....will some of the above apps work on an android phone?? Or are there other andoid apps of use to touring cyclists?? Apologies if it seems a dumb question but up until now I have been operating with a simple 'old' nokia and dont really understand 'apps' etc yet.
fletch

Post by fletch »

Can anyone recommend a good solar powered charger for a iPhone 3?.
Banjowhacker

Post by Banjowhacker »

Can anyone recommend a good solar powered charger for a iPhone 3?.

Ooh, yes! Me too.
I've been looking at one of these but would like to hear if anyone has direct experience.
FWIW, as a navigational GPS app I've got along swimmingly with the Bikehub app, which i use for day trips to new places. It was invaluable in getting me from Brighton to London during the London to Brighton last weekend when i had to avoid 'salmoning' the BHF route...
Banjowhacker

Post by Banjowhacker »

Just in case anyone's interested (not looking like it though...) the reviews on Amazon of the solar charger are not good. However, for my needs, on all-day trips, I reckon one of these would be just the ticket for my iPhone to make sure it stays charged before I find a power socket in the evening.
Incidentally, I forgot to mention Memory Map as a great app for uploading GPX routes to (which can be created in BikeHub and other apps).
clivehors

Post by clivehors »

Just downloaded ViewRanger app for Iphone for tour of Southern Ireland. You can download "tiles" at 1.50000 to cover your route and store them so no need to use internet unless you want to locate your position exactly.