Tent for tall person advice !

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
nevets10

Tent for tall person advice !

Post by nevets10 »

I am going cycle camping in July and I'm not taking my Gelert solo - despite being a great tent really cheap and light, its too short (I keep forgetting this) for me - I am over 6foot 4

Im looking for a cheap light tent for cycle camping but I want to fit in it !

I would like to spend less than £100 ideally

Any suggestions ?
Malaconotus

Re: Tent for tall person advice !

Post by Malaconotus »

nevets10 wrote:I am going cycle camping in July and I'm not taking my Gelert solo - despite being a great tent really cheap and light, its too short (I keep forgetting this) for me - I am over 6foot 4

Im looking for a cheap light tent for cycle camping but I want to fit in it !

I would like to spend less than £100 ideally

Any suggestions ?

So pleased with my Vango Spectre 200 I've got another one brand new in bag ready for when this one gives in. I'm 6' 5" and understand the problem. The Spectre is great for length, although headroom is a little limited.

I'd have preferred a tunnel tent, with a porch, but the options at the time were too short, or quite a bit heavier. It looks like the new Mirage would fit the bill, though, at 225cm long sleeping area, and only 400g more than the Spectre... http://www.vango.co.uk/tents.html#catid1_1,catid2_115
salsafargo

Post by salsafargo »

im 6 foot 3 and found the main problem with 1 man tents is the slope of the inner tent,it might show the inner tent on a diagram been 2.4m long but you have to take in consideration that your head and feet stick up in the air also if you have a thick insulating mat this also lifts you off the ground further more,i have a banshee 200 and my head touches the inner tent.

i just bought a vango zepherous 1 as this has a carbon pole at each end lifting the inner tent away from your head and feet the poles are only 300mm long but its enough to make it more roomy at the ends i paid 78 deliverd from field and trek.matt
teh

Post by teh »

Reminds me of when I took my son on a short camping trip as a treat after finishing his GCSEs. We bought a 2-man tent and set off. I'm 6'4" (and about 18 stone) and he was about 6' 6" (and mercifully quite thin) at the time. You can imagine, that there wasn't much room! He had to sleep with his feet outside the tent.

I think you will have no luck at under £100, unless you are happy with some sort of tarp. My advice would be to go for something like a Go-Lite Shangri-La 3, and just buy the fly-sheet. My wife and I use the 5 man version, and this summer we are only taking the flysheet to France. They are made of an extremely lightweight material.
bluemint

Post by bluemint »

Wild Country Zephyros 1 are around the £100 mark. It looks the same as the terra nova laser comp 1 which I got as an upgrade from the Solo, but made with different materials.

On paper the inner of the Solo is longer but on the WC Z the ends of the inner are supported so they're pretty much verticle and squared off so it makes maximum use of the available space, unlike the Solo.

I'm 5'8" and I get an inch or two of headroom and can get changed easily, the Solo was ok as a budget lightweight tent but had plenty of drawbacks.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

coleman avior (x2 or x3 person) inner is 230cm long so that is nearly 8 feet, weight around 2.45k and priced from £70
upwards

http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/produc ... ductsearch
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

stephenjubb wrote:coleman avior (x2 or x3 person) inner is 230cm long so that is nearly 8 feet, weight around 2.45k and priced from £70
upwards

http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/produc ... ductsearch

+1, I'm 6" 5 and use the X2 OK
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Avior X3 is very spacious and is 1100mm high at the head end. I am 5' 11" and I can sit up with plenty of clearance.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

This is pretty highly rated. Good headroom as well.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/t2-ultraligh ... 39976.html
Bit pricy at the moment but they usually reduce them after the school hols.
You can always put the sleep mat under the groundsheet if you need extra room for feet.