Fancy a tour of the Hebrides in 2013?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tigger

Re: Fancy a tour of the Hebrides in 2013?

Post by Tigger »

joegallus wrote:Hi all
I am planning to go ‘chillax’ touring in the Hebrides next May...

Hi Joe, if my autumn tour goes well I may join you! Slow is good. Prefer tea shops to pubs but I'm sure we can come to an agreement :lol:

Cheers

PS you've done more planning than me so far! Though I did visit LBS today and get some spares/ discuss a few things with them.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Hi,
Make sure you check the ferry times to Barra, they don't all leave in the afternoon. The One I got in May this year left around 8:00am! The timetable is a little strange, I'm sure it makes sense to someone but not to me...

Andy
joegallus

Post by joegallus »

Hi Tigger - you will be more than welcome, particularly as by that time you will be the expert - and we might have half a chance of finding the right way if you have already done the route!
Andy - yes there is a 8h15 ferry on Thursday mornings that arrives in time to get the evening link to Eriksay. Not sure I could get there for 8h15 on a Thursday (it's about a 500 mile drive for me).

For anyone else that is interested, please note that we don't have to make this some big intense group thing, feel free to join in for whatever bits you like. If you fancy scooting off and doing your own thing and meeting up at various points along the way that would be fine by me. I have posted an outline route (above), with a guestimate of time for the various legs. If you are in the area and want to link up, the more the merrier as far as I am concerned.

I am working on the basis of the old African adage “if you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together”
Richard Barrett

Post by Richard Barrett »

Do call in - free cake and coffee - http://www.lochedge.co.uk
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Hi Folks,
I've just completed writing up some details of my trip to the Hebrides made earlier this year. You may find it of interest..
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Hebrides2012

Andy
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Oh dear!! Whiskey which is Irish from Isle of Jura??
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

gloomyandy wrote:Hi Folks,
I've just completed writing up some details of my trip to the Hebrides made earlier this year. You may find it of interest..

Andy

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed reading about your trip. Mine was very similar to yours and it brought back some great memories.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

gloomyandy wrote:I've just completed writing up some details of my trip to the Hebrides made earlier this year. You may find it of interest..

What a fantastic record of your trip! I've only looked quickly so far (been busy trying to get my own itinerary sorted) but I'll look again in a few days. Thanks for sharing, Andy :D
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Richard Barrett wrote:Do call in - free cake and coffee - http://www.lochedge.co.uk

Hope to see you in September... love cake (and tea!) :D

Working on my itinerary... your book is proving very interesting and useful so far. As well as the ton of info from other forum users, of course.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

joegallus wrote:Hi Tigger - you will be more than welcome, particularly as by that time you will be the expert - and we might have half a chance of finding the right way if you have already done the route!

For anyone else that is interested, please note that we don't have to make this some big intense group thing, feel free to join in for whatever bits you like.

I am working on the basis of the old African adage “if you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together”

Hi Joe, you are too kind, I doubt very much that I will be any kind of expert! Getting lost isn't one of my concerns I have to say, but I'm trying to fight off the temptation to buy the Garmin Edge 800 atm... (all the gear and no idea!) But I have bought a bike maintenance book (went for the Hayne's manual one in the end, after reading advice here) to supplement my very old and oily copy of Richard's Bicycle Book. (Yes, I did once strip my Puch racer down to the ball bearings :shock: amazing but true!)

I like the sound of the dip in/ dip out trip. And that's a great African saying 8)

My itinerary is looking good - doable - so far :o Just stuck on the 'no sleeper back from Inverness on a Saturday' at the mo, but not worried as it's only my first draft plan and I can always eat into my reserve days if I really have to. Also I'm using info from the week before the one I want on National Rail Enquiries as they haven't 'published' times starting from the 21st September yet.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You don't need a Garmin, there is only one road! You can't get lost. :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

al_yrpal wrote:You don't need a Garmin, there is only one road! You can't get lost. :D

Ah, but need and want are two separate things :wink:
SteveL

Post by SteveL »

Starfire wrote:
gloomyandy wrote:Hi Folks,

Andy

Interesting write up, many thanks.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Richard Barrett wrote:There is a stunningly good guidebook on touring the Hebrides just published.......... (well I would say that wouldn't I? We are having a launch event at Cotswold Outdoor, Westend Glasgow from 2-5 on Saturday 7th July with whiskey tasting courtesy of Isle of Jura. Drop in a say hello - probably have to shoulder your way through a crowd of drunks though

Excellent book, thoroughly enjoyed reading it from cover to cover.
Richard Barrett

Post by Richard Barrett »

I'm humbled Starfire. Many thanks for your gracious comment