Danube in September

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
paieye

Danube in September

Post by paieye »

I am hoping to cycle along the Danube path from Passau to Vienna in early September. Is it at that time of year necessary to book accommodation in advance, or can one with reasonable safety take a chance ?
sbesley

Re: Danube in September

Post by sbesley »

I cycled this stretch in September a few years ago, no need to book anything.

It can be unseasonably cold though. Found I was wearing all my layers first thing in the morning. Had to buy some gloves!

Stephen.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The 'Season' proper ends at the end of August in Germany and Austria so you might find some accomodation is 'less open' than in the main season although you should benefit from lower prices. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
shotaway

Post by shotaway »

I was planing to cycle the German and Austria bit in September but my partner has broken her arm and look like its not going to be right for the trip.
Im am wondering if your taking your bikes from the UK and how your getting there with your bikes. it seemed to me bloody EazyJet was the best price, just wondering what you found.

Shotaway
paieye

Post by paieye »

My preliminary investigations of flights indicate that Easyjet would be the cheapest, but I notice that they do not allow anything but the bicycle to be put in the bicycle-bag, so I may be looking elsewhere.

Thank you all for your help -- it looks as though I could do the route in September without booking accommodation in advance.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

When I flew Easyjet, I stuck the tent, the toolkit, the helmet in the box with the bike, and nobody looked. The security people would have seen them on the X-ray, but they don't work for Easyjet.
paieye

Post by paieye »

Thank you for the hint !
edwin

Post by edwin »

paieye wrote:I am hoping to cycle along the Danube path from Passau to Vienna in early September.

Please keep in mind that in Germany lots of things are regulated by the states. In northern Germany the season will end in August. Bavaria is allways the state with the lastest summer holidays. This year the 13th of September is the first day of school. So there will be still high season.

On the other hand I never had problems finding accomodation on my trips, except for Britain. :)

I'd suggest to book one day ahead the first days. After that you can judge in situation yourself.
shotaway

Post by shotaway »

When I cycled down the rhine a couple of years ago i stayed in a couple http://www.bettundbike.de/ thats bed and bike in german i found the hotels cheep and the breakfast was supurb well worth looking into...

think it was about 30 euro a night inc breakfast.. they had a big garage to store your bike in. there where many cyclist staying there...
paieye

Post by paieye »

Thank you all, particularly for the warning about Bavarian school-holidays !
JeffHughes

Post by JeffHughes »

We did the Danube in June but from Vienna to Budapest (very hot), it has to be one of the best trips I've done. Lots of the route was on car free tarmac paths.

We flew with BA, they allow you to replace your baggage allowance with the bike bag, just don't go over the 23kg limit.

Have a fanatastic time.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I rode the Danube last year. No problem finding accommodation. Most towns have a Tourist Office and they are happy to ring arounnd and do a deal for you. Always try to ensure you get a Buffet style breakfast otherwise it can be pretty meagre, 2 hard white rolls and 2 slices of ham and cheese each plus one cup of coffee in a few places. No good to a hungry cyclist. I agree the buffet breakfasts are superb.