Which tyres

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
martin113

Which tyres

Post by martin113 »

So just got back from a run to find a three inch split in my back tyre, lucky it didn't blow out and send me flying. The front is not much good either, looking at it closely so it looks like a new pair needed. I run 700C x 25mm and have been using Bontrager Racelight but they haven't lasted long and I usually run 100psi. I do long club runs in any weather, often mucky, sometimes off road on rough tracks but not mountain biking kind of thing. I also do tours with about 15kg luggage (I weigh 70 kg) and that can sometimes involve going off road, but again they would be gravel tracks not serious mountain biking. I ride a road bike slightly modified for touring but I like the lively fast feel of the road bike and don't want to lose it. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Also can anyone answer me this question: I changed from 23mm to 25mm because I was told it would bring more comfort from the jolting of the road, so less soreness in the crutch and less tiredness in the shoulders, but I have never really been able to test this. Does anyone violently agree or disagree with this claim? If it doesn't make a difference I might go back to 23s. Thanks.
thirdcrank

Re: Which tyres

Post by thirdcrank »

As a rule of thumb, the fatter the tyre, the lower the pressure it may be used at (without increasing the likelihood of damage.) Lowe pressure = grater comfort, higher pressure - greater speed (or probably more efficient use of energy.)

having said that, the difference between 23 and 25mm is not huge, and some manufacturers 25mm are similar to another's 23mm.

I think most people on here would say that even 28mm is on the thin side for touring but Mick F swears* by 23mm. Isn't your own experience helpful?

* in a non-swearing sort of way :wink:
martin113

Post by martin113 »

I have realized my original post was not very clear. I was really hoping some one would recommend a make and brand of tyre to suit my riding habits. Thanks.
jags

Post by jags »

i have panaracer ribmo 700x28 excellent tyre.can't really say any more than that.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I know they are like rocking horse poo but i think you need some Schwalbe Marathon 25's - had some on my commute training bike for 18 months and still have some life in them.

I got about 5000km out of a pair of Racelite 28's across the winter of 2010/11 without a single puncture!

I tour on 25c Paselas, @ 12kg of load on all surfaces and terrain - i get about 2000km loaded quite a bit more unloaded.

My top tip is to always fit new rubber before a significant trip loaded up and check for damage daily. I always take a tyre boot, it saved one trip after the casing ruptured after about 750km of east German 'roads'!

The difference between 23 and 25 isn't big enough to change the comfort which is related to the amount of air not the pressure its at. You will get less damage and punctures with a higher pressure particularly if you are carrying a sizeable load, i can almost predict punctures before they occur when i'm loaded as i know what is going to cause a deflation.

Btw you'd be unlucky to be thrown off by a rear wheel puncture, front yes but rear can be controlled 99.9% of the time.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I use Conti 4 seasons on my road bike for similar usage. I don't tour much these days, but I do sometimes carry loads or small amounts of shopping or pull a trailer, and I normally carry panniers or a rackpack because I use it for commuting. I ride a mixture of surfaces, but it is proably 80 or 90% road with the rest mixed surfaces of path, trail and bridleway. They get good traction in the rain and have lasted pretty well. They are expensive, but I will replace them with the same, if I can get them when these ones are worn out.

A couple of my friends like the Vittoria Rubino. I think Mick F usually recommends the Rubino Pro. They're cheaper than the Contis, and last a bit longer, but possibly not as suited to off road.

I have Schwalbe Marathons on my hybrid and tandem, but I wouldn't put them on my road bike. There are other threads on tyres with lots of info. This one
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60859&p=517038 also has some links to other threads.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
shotaway

Post by shotaway »

Vittoria Randonneur pro have been amazing for me, i cycled to Greece via Rome totaling 6000km fully loaded along the stony Rhine and many other harsh trails on route. now that im back must have done another 3000km and not one puncture, the grip on the road was great even sailing down the Swiss alps with wet roads fully loaded.
so that about 9000km not one puncture
I had a good look at them the other day thinking I should treat my self to a new set but there still some tread on there about .3mm so im waiting to nearer winter..
the best thing about these is they are only approx 15 quid each.

http://www.vittoria.com/en/product/city ... roduct-143
meic

Post by meic »

I dont think I have ever seen a 3" split in a tyre, I cant think what would have done that.

Gravel paths are particularly good at attacking your sidewalls as are loose pieces of large gravel on roads. I normally ride with tyres with vulnerable sidewalls (Paselas, Ultragators) as they are more pleasant/ faster on road.
However if I am going to places where gravel is expected in large quantities (eg. New Forest next week) then I will fit tyres with strong sidewalls like the heavy Schwalbe Marathons.
Yma o Hyd
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Martin113 - your riding sounds similar to mine. Cycle camping with upto 15kg luggage, some easy off road while doing that, otherwise domestic riding. I use 700Cx25 for touring purposes and maybe 23 at home. Generally I fit new tyres to go on tour depending on how new the current tyres are.

For about 6 years I used Continental 4 Seasons which are very tough, resistant to thorns etc, light and roll nicely. They got too expensive so I changed to Michelin Krylion which are just as good although maybe not quite as resistant to thorns although that is only an impression since both have been penetrated only by huge Blackthorn. Krylion are now discontinued and replaced by Pro 4 Endurance, supposedly tougher, grippier, free running etc. I have just fitted them to go away in a week or so. Pro 4 Endurance are still hard to find in 25 and sell out pretty quickly. Of the tyres noted by others, I have Panaracer Ribmo in 28 on another machine which I use too seldom to be able to comment. I used Panaracer Pasela on that machine before Ribmo and found them good, and I still use them on a hack. I have Vittoria Randonneur on my shopping bike. They are on there because I found them a tight fit on the rims I use and somewhat sluggish to ride so I did not want them on a tour. Of course we all have different expectations of tyres.

The Continental 4 Seasons and Michelin Krylion last me 3000 miles (5000 km) or maybe a bit more so there is a price to pay for the light weight and performance.

Comfort of 23 versus 25 - it depends too much on where you ride. One place I used to ride the lanes were so poor that 23s shook me to pieces so I stuck to 25 and 28.
Reigncloud

Post by Reigncloud »

Michelin Krylion Carbons. I bought some because Mike Hall (who recently broke the round the world record) used them. He got from London to Istanbul on one set.

I just returned from a 1200 km tour on these and I can confirm they are great. Really fast rolling and tough as nails - even over some terrain that would have been far better suited to my mountain bike!
salsafargo

Post by salsafargo »

CJ

Post by CJ »

shotaway wrote:Vittoria Randonneur pro have been amazing for me, i cycled to Greece via Rome totaling 6000km fully loaded along the stony Rhine and many other harsh trails on route. now that im back must have done another 3000km and not one puncture, the grip on the road was great even sailing down the Swiss alps with wet roads fully loaded.
so that about 9000km not one puncture
I had a good look at them the other day thinking I should treat my self to a new set but there still some tread on there about .3mm so im waiting to nearer winter..

Very nice tyres, easy rolling and TOUGH. I use them too, 37mm on a tandem, but 32mm is the 'narrowest' they do in this quality (plain Randonneur are not as good) and I fear that our enquirer may be too fond of bikes that lack the clearance for anything as sensible as that.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

+1 for the Randonneurs.
Mine are the plain 32 models and there's nothing wrong with them. I'm up to 2200 miles without a puncture and they really have been punished. Forest trails, mountain bike trails, country parks and worst of all, Boltons roads. I've recently swapped them around to even out the wear and there isn't much of that either. They've never once let me down in wet or dry conditions and when they've gone the way of the Dodo (I wouldn't be surprised if they last another 4000 miles) I'll certainly replace them with more Randonneurs.
Available in 25mm.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.