Anyone like a tandem?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Charlotte's Tandems

Anyone like a tandem?

Post by Charlotte's Tandems »

Charlotte's Tandems is a new charity that lends tandems to disabled people for free.
I've just had some more great news. Several months ago I filled in lots of applications for grants to buy some more low cost, low stepover, tandems to suit the majority of our borrowers. I've just read that one of the major supermarket chains would like to give us a significant donation. Once I've satisfied their financial requirements I hope to get the cheque and then very quickly place the order for the tandems. I'm therefore looking for people to look after them. We don't yet have any tandems in Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, the North East or South coast of England. I'd love to hear from anyone from these places or anywhere else we don't yet cover that would like to become one of our Regional helpers. Full details of our current tandems and their locations and borrowers can be found on our website www.charlottestandems.weebly.com
CharlottesTandems.co.uk
Also see the Charlotte's Tandems Facebook group.
johnmac

Re: Anyone like a tandem?

Post by johnmac »

I live in South Cheshire and could be interested in helping. What would be involved?
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I did think about it to provide a base down here in Southampton but don't think the wife would be so keen. I tried to interest her i trying out a tandem trike last year with no luck so if another tandem turns up she won't believe that I 'just looking after it for a friend, honest'.
For this neck of the woods try contacting Thea Bjaland at sustrans.
I'd quite like to see if my daughter could be persuaded to try going for a ride with me on an Onderwater Tandem where the child sits at the front and can pedal independantly.
Charlotte's Tandems

We now have that huge cheque we were promised and will be buying the tandems as soon as we have a list of places for them to go, so please let me know if you could form an outpost for us.

Best wishes,

Alex
CharlottesTandems.co.uk
sevenhills

Post by sevenhills »

Charlotte's Tandems wrote:
We now have that huge cheque we were promised
Alex

Supermarkets are not my favourite business, but give them a plug; which one?
jam05

Post by jam05 »

Hello there

I live four miles from Aberystwyth and would be interested in helping with the project. What would be involved?
Charlotte's Tandems

Dear Jam,

Thanks for replying.

It firstly involves collecting tandems from local donors, or meeting me to hand some over or receiving tandems by post. Next you need to get them ready to go to donors, which hopefully just means pumping up tyres etc. Next potential borrowers contact me via the website and once I know they are suitable (i.e. have a special need) then I put them in contact with you to arrange handover. I encourage my borrowers to collect from me, unless they can't get someone to drive, in which case I would deliver the tandem. The borrower has it for 2 months, maybe more if no-one else wants it. They then return it and you then store it until the next borrower collects it.

As you will see from our website we get some lovely comments back from the borrowers.

Any questions then please email me at charlottes.tandems@gmail.com

Best wishes,

Alex
CharlottesTandems.co.uk
Charlotte's Tandems

As requested, the supermarket is Tesco. We are very grateful to them for their very genous grant. We would now like to spend the money and get people with special needs out and about enjoying riding their tandems.
CharlottesTandems.co.uk
merrymac

Helping out Charlottes Tandems

Post by merrymac »

johnmac wrote:I live in South Cheshire and could be interested in helping. What would be involved?

Hi John

I saw that you asked on the CTC Forum back in January about what was involved helping out the Charity Charlottes Tandems (CT) . I'm not sure if CT ever replied to you, but I've been helping them now for 6 months in Cheshire & Manc. I hope that it's not too late to reply & would certainly appreciate some help up here, especially in Cheshire East. First, here is what the CT founder, Alex Reeves wrote to someone else who asked:

Dear +++,

Thanks for replying.

It firstly involves collecting tandems from local donors, or meeting me to hand some over or receiving tandems by post. Next you need to get them ready to go to donors, which hopefully just means pumping up tyres etc. Next potential borrowers contact me via the website and once I know they are suitable (i.e. have a special need) then I put them in contact with you to arrange handover. I encourage my borrowers to collect from me, unless they can't get someone to drive, in which case I would deliver the tandem. The borrower has it for 2 months, maybe more if no-one else wants it. They then return it and you then store it until the next borrower collects it.

As you will see from our website we get some lovely comments back from the borrowers.
Any questions then please email me at charlottes.tandems@gmail.com
Best wishes, Alex
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I LIVE NEAR CHESTER, AND IF YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED IN HELPING US OUT, PLEASE E MAIL ME DIRECT (I dont often use this CTC Forum)

brian.2009@btinternet.com
OR CALL MY MOB 07522 919 974

Look forward to hearing from you
Brian MacDonald
djoptix

Post by djoptix »

I am up for helping but I live in Bristol and it looks like you have plenty going on around here already...?
Charlotte's Tandems

pm sent.
CharlottesTandems.co.uk
Charlotte's Tandems

We have been donated another tandem but need somewhere it for go. It is based in Kirkby Stephen in Cumbria, but if you could collect it for us, it could be based with you or with me in Gloucestershire. If you can help then I'd love to hear from you.

Best wishes,

Alex
Charlotte's Tandems lends tandems to disabled people for free, so that they can enjoy the wonders of cycling fast.
CharlottesTandems.co.uk
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

MAybe you could contact Pedal Power in Cardiff http://www.cardiffpedalpower.org/ . They are a well established cycling charity who have a range of adapted bikes and some tandems. Someone I know has a disabled daughter and he speaks so highly of how they help get her out and about. They also use tandems for a cycling club for blind people.
Charlotte's Tandems

Thanks. I have been in contact with them in the past.

Can anyone transport the tandem from Cumbria to me in Gloucestershire?
CharlottesTandems.co.uk
Charlotte's Tandems

Anyone fancy looking after a tandem or two for us and lending it/them to our borrowers? The next batch are coming into stock at the end of August and we'd like to offer them to parts of the UK that we don't already cover. I look forward to hearing from you.

Full details of our charity can be found on our website.
CharlottesTandems.co.uk