Let us praise parish councils...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

...for installing and [generally] maintaining such a variety of wayside benches for weary cyclists to rest upon awhile. Whilst doing just that the other day, and chewing on a cheese sandwich for mental inspiration, it dawned on me that these are probably unique amongst roadside artefacts, in that they turn no profit and are of no value to motorists. Out of interest I decided to count up how many I could spot on my return journey from a village just inside Nottinghamshire to my home on the outskirts of Leicester. During the 23 mile journey I spotted no fewer than 35 - of all shapes and sizes, from simple backless benches, to ornate cast iron affairs. Some brand new, the majority in varying stages of repair, but all perfectly sittable-upon. They were surprisingly difficult to spot though - not because they're camouflaged, but because they're so taken for granted! So, fellow travellers, will you join me in a quick vote of thanks to the good folk on our parish councils who have been community-spirited enough to provide all these potential rest stops for two-wheeled travellers?

PS - this may or may not be relevant, but of the 35 that I spotted, not one was occupied!
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Indeed! But as I found yesterday. There's never one around when you desperately need a sit down!
snibgo

Re: Let us praise parish councils...

Post by snibgo »

Seconded.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've often enjoyed taking a break on a carefully placed roadside commemorative bench, although sometimes they are badly vandalised, even in quite remote locations.

There can be too much of a good thing: the last time I looked there was a place just below the weir in Wetherby where the riverside footpath was stacked-up with memorial benches.

Our parish council has installed quite a few. I particularly used to enjoy sitting on one of them when my childcare duties involved a small baby in a pram. There's another on the way, due late Aug, early Sept, so I'll probably be sitting on the bench again (but not like daveg :wink: )
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

+1
Yes, thank you to those who supply the benches - the commemorative benches are a nice idea and growing - as one with a weak back, they are a blessing for me.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
slowpeddler

Post by slowpeddler »

I'll second this post.
We are so lucky in this country. Anyone who has cycled Belgium always ends up in Churchyards for lunch, there is sometimes a bench but usually a piece of grass to sit on.

Land is scarce in Belgium, they plough to the edge of the road and usually there is a ditch so nowhere for a cyclist to stop. I'm not knocking the country, I love Belgium but sometimes I do miss the hedgerows (and a bench)

John
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

ericonabike wrote: will you join me in a quick vote of thanks to the good folk on our parish councils who have been community-spirited enough to provide all these potential rest stops for two-wheeled travellers?

There are so many because people keep dying! Unfortunately, councils often charge £1000+ for a memorial bench, since they insist on purchasing the bench and installing it.