the forum's oldest bike part still in use

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gaz

Re: the forum's oldest bike part still in use

Post by gaz »

Alright then, Mavic handlebar stem, Shimano Deore XT cantilevers and Suntour XC hubs all from 1988, Carradice panniers from 1989.

I also have a much treasured T.D. Cross spanner from the 70's that's a perfect fit for the adjusting nut on my B17.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
BigG

Post by BigG »

I still use a few components from my first serious bike, a 1952 Holdsworth LaQuelda. The original Bluemels Tour de France alloy mudguards still give good service as do the GB Maes pattern bars, the Mafac brake levers and the front Harden hub (bearings not original, of course). A Bluemels alloy pump of this vintage is still available but seldom used. From the late 1950s, I have Stronglight 49A cranks and Lyotard MB 23 platform pedals whichare still in use on my secondary bike. Most impressive, however is the front wheel on this bike which still has the original Harden hub, original 15/17G rustless spokes and original Weinmann Alesa 27" rim.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I am out on my 1971 Mercian several times a week and I shall be doing a 9 day Brittany trip on it in September. It's swift, comfortable and solid. Only the frame dates from that era, the groupset is Campag Deluxe from the 1990's I think. My old Galaxy was early 1970's too, but that's gone now.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rjb

Post by rjb »

It may not be the oldest but may have covered the most miles - my Dawes supergalaxy tandem, 21 years old and 105,000 miles and still on the original front wheel (weinmann alesa rim like a previous poster) and Shimano deore gear mechs (rear has had a couple of sets of new jockey wheels) :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mig

Post by mig »

rjb wrote:It may not be the oldest but may have covered the most miles - my Dawes supergalaxy tandem, 21 years old and 105,000 miles and still on the original front wheel (weinmann alesa rim like a previous poster) and Shimano deore gear mechs (rear has had a couple of sets of new jockey wheels) :D

ay up! that's raised the bar!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

rjb wrote:It may not be the oldest... my Dawes supergalaxy tandem, 21 years old ....

my Dawes SuperGalaxy tandem definitely won't have covered as many miles, but it will be older....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I do of course have this 1968 beast, though it's not "in use" ................ yet.
RSW16.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
cycle cat

Post by cycle cat »

Our tandem frame was made in the 1930's.
Over 70 years old and still going strong.
The parts are from the 50's right up to modern day stuff.
Thank goodness for soup.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've a 1996 Cannondale FS MTB, which I haven't ridden for two years as I MUST get around to servicing the pivot, but I've done a lot of miles on it. The saddle is a Brooks Colt I've been riding since 1988. I rode my first tour on it. I've no other saddle that old.
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

Occasional use, Circa 1910

robc02

Post by robc02 »

1951 Humber Roadster. Original apart from paint, tyres, tubes, rear spokes and wire basket. My regular local transport.

1948 Claud Butler (Sport Anglais, I think) frame. Originally fitted with derailleurs but upgraded with a 1952 Sturmey Archer FM hub. Fairly regular summer use for TT style burn-ups!

Occasional use by the two ladies in my life - 1935 Royal Enfield roadster and 1936 Raleigh roadster.

Sorry, can't compete with mill4six's offering, but I know a man who can!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Where's Hubbers and Greybeard?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mill4six's bike is lovely.

I can't help but think that the gear cable routing was made to a drawing that was actually someone's daydreamy doodle though! :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
whoops

Post by whoops »

gaz wrote:The atoms in my bike have been around for over 13 billion years.

bang on, gaz
whoops

Post by whoops »

1952 [not the saddle]