Meteors ...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Hemipode

Meteors ...

Post by Hemipode »

The Perseid meteor shower has started quite well this year. I've just seen 5 decent meteor burn ups in an hours night cycling.
If only the clear skies would hold for the peak on the 12th but it looks unlikely for where I live :cry:
thirdcrank

Re: Meteors ...

Post by thirdcrank »

I can put you in touch with a cyclist who organises night-time rides to see phenomena such as this. The viewpoint is somewhere with the minimum of light pollution within reasonable cycling distance of Leeds, often Great Whernside.* I'm too much of a softie and a night of cloud cover is always a risk, no matter how dark the sky.

* Wiki: "Great Whernside is a mountain in the Yorkshire Dales, England, not to be confused with the better known Whernside, some 27 kilometres (17 mi) to the west." At least one would-be sky-watcher got that wrong: others may have done so but have not admitted it.
Hemipode

Post by Hemipode »

Thanks TC but that's a bit far away for me.

I think I will head out into the countryside tonight as it looks pretty clear round here at the moment.
Si

Post by Si »

i think that Northamptonshire must be a good place to see them - i was working there a few years back when they were doing their stuff, amazing display - we just sat there in the dark outside the site hut, supped ale and watched the light show....one of the best night's camping i've done.
meic

Post by meic »

I dont see as many meteors/shooting stars as I used to before I bought my B & M headlight. :cry:

My daughter asked me what I was looking at and now she wants to go for a night ride with me after midnight to see them.
Yma o Hyd
Hemipode

Post by Hemipode »

meic wrote:I dont see as many meteors/shooting stars as I used to before I bought my B & M headlight. :cry:

I know exactly what you mean there :lol:

Good luck if you do get out, I'm off in about an hour or so, heading away from town to try to cut down on the light pollution. If the weather is good on Tuesday I will be spending the night in the Welsh mountains near the Teifi Pools. It's a brilliant spot to view the skies well away from street & town lighting.
meic

Post by meic »

Do you mean Tuesday AM or Wednesday AM. I am tempted to cycle up and ruin your night vision with my IQ.
Yma o Hyd
Hemipode

Post by Hemipode »

Cloud has stopped play here in Northants.

Fingers crossed for a clear night in Wales on Tuesday night / Weds morning.

Meic ... if I see your B & M heading up from Ffair Rhos I'll put the kettle on for a brew for you ... you'll need it after that climb :mrgreen:
meic

Post by meic »

Like most of my cycling plans this year, it will probably fail for the same old reason.

ie. The weather forecast is for persistent heavy rain.
Yma o Hyd
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We were in Manchester for the weekend. By late on Saturday night, it was cloudy. Home now and it raining solidly. No chance of seeing clear skies! :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

Shock:

The weather forecast for Tregaron shows a small window of clear sky from midnight to 3am.
It even says the rain will stay off long enough to cycle there and back.

Should I pump up my tyres?
Yma o Hyd
Hemipode

Post by Hemipode »

meic wrote:Shock:

The weather forecast for Tregaron shows a small window of clear sky from midnight to 3am.
It even says the rain will stay off long enough to cycle there and back.

Should I pump up my tyres?

Unfortunately I gave up on the weather (too early it would seem) for this years trip :(

I'll have a look at our sky tonight but I'm not too hopeful for here .... good luck if you do get that break in the cloud but please bear in mind there won't be a cuppa waiting for you !
meic

Post by meic »

I'll have to take a flask then, if I go.

Ten hours without rain is not to be missed, even if it is in the middle of the night.
Yma o Hyd
Hemipode

Post by Hemipode »

Managed to get a break in the clouds for about an hour (03:30 - 04:30).
Even though the shower is well past it's peak we still managed to see a dozen or so.

Did you get out Meic ?
meic

Post by meic »

I arrived at Teifi pools at around 1.30am and the clouds arrived shortly afterwards.
I did see one good meteor and a few times I thought that there was a flash of light but didnt see a source.

Whilst cycling there I could see plenty of stars but saw no meteors, I tried turning off the B&M a few times but it was too dark for cycling on my "sidelight" only.

I would have seen more meteors if I had stayed at home, there is almost no light pollution here either but I did see two foxes, a rabbit, a hedgehog, an owl and a few bats.
It felt like I met more cats than cars. :D :D

I also got stopped by the Police.

Me " Ah, is a cyclist such a rare sight here that you have to stop them for a chat?"
Officer " Well at this time of the night, yes"

We had a good chat and a laugh, our coppers arent the MET after all.
Yma o Hyd