Another cracked hat

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
BertYardbrush

Another cracked hat

Post by BertYardbrush »

It's a short sprint to work, a mere 2.62K. I like to do it at speed - relative to my age, having just turned 66. There's just one point where there is a metre strip of granite cobbles across the road to indicate buses & cycles only. It's on a slight uphill after a short descent so I stand on it, freewheel over the cobbles with a hell of a rattle then put the power on again. Yesterday I think I overdid it, the chain must have rattled off the chainwheel, the bike refused as I applied strong pressure. I continued, the bike didn't. Scraped the top of my cycle specs, hairline crack and scratches on the helmet, schoolboy knee and whilst I was lying in the road the bike fell on top of me. So relatively unscathed but another £40 for a helmet. That'll be my 3rd in as many months. And what's more it was exactly the same spot where the BMX bike cut across me causing my last crash. Suppose I ought to think about slowing down a bit - but it wouldn't be half as much fun.
gilesjuk

Re: Another cracked hat

Post by gilesjuk »

Is it a Giro? If so you do know they offer a replacement cheaper?

http://www.madison.co.uk/giro/
BearOnWheels

Post by BearOnWheels »

Delighted you got away relatively unscathed. Better a cracked hat than a cracked skull...

And don't slow down, for as George Bernard Shaw said "Use your health even to the point of wearing it out. That is what it is for.'

If you can do it, do it! :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Maybe the hat is causing the crashes? :lol: :twisted: :P

Keep going for it, watch out for kids and other vulnerable road users, have fun!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

Thanks for the kind comments. It's a Uvex ivo. I am replacing it with a Uvex city commuter which has a light in the back. There's not many people around at that time in the morning, just a man and his proverbial (a Staffie) to express concern. It's different in the middle of the day - being a bus lane, nobody looks for the silent cyclist.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Sounds like an example of risk compensation in action. :(
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Ron wrote:Sounds like an example of risk compensation in action. :(

Obviously he should do science a favour and ride without a helmet for a while to see how it changes the frequency and nature of any accidents.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

kwackers wrote:
Ron wrote:Sounds like an example of risk compensation in action. :(

Obviously he should do science a favour and ride without a helmet for a while to see how it changes the frequency and nature of any accidents.

Exactly what I was thinking 8)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.