Broken glass

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mark1978

Broken glass

Post by Mark1978 »

We all know that broken glass is *everywhere* especially on off road cycle routes which seem to be cleaned on a once a decade basis.

Where does all this glass come from? Are there people walking along smashing bottles every 5 metres as they walk?
meic

Re: Broken glass

Post by meic »

Is it cleaned away, or does it just get crushed and weathered out of existence in ten years time?

Everybody has to have a hobby and for some people smashing bottles holds a particular delight and they are forced to hide this habit in the dark corners that nobody else wants or goes. Which by coincidence is where the highway planners think cyclists should be as well.
Yma o Hyd
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Did a ride in the Midi years ago where the edges of the cycle track seemed be lined with green gravel. The occasional bottle-cap gave the game away.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Some bright spark in the Somerset highways dept decided to dispose of recycled glass by mixing it with tarmac and spreading it on the roads. It had a nice sparkly appearance when first laid and this was on a road designated as a cycle route. Come the winter frosts the surface broke up leaving shards of glass everywhere. This was a fairy hazard to cyclists who gave up using the road but also had the locals up in arms as well especially dog walkers and horse riders. It took a couple of years before the council resurfaced it again. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mark1978 wrote:Where does all this glass come from? Are there people walking along smashing bottles every 5 metres as they walk?

In a word yes they do.

There's a sure fire way to stop it instantly along with disgarded plastic bottles and cans.
People of a certain age can remember collecting pop bottles and returning them for their refund value,as kid I'd have walked a mile for a pop bottle refund (the good old days eh! :) )
That return refund should be £1 on every bottle,can and food carton,plastic carrier bags should also cost £1 too IMHO :)
Problem solved,countryside clean(er)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

Lambrini bottles seem to be able to break into enough pieces to make two bottles :?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

When I've seen broken glass in Essex, I've submitted a request to the local authority, and it has normally been swept up within a day or two. I have to admit that I didn't ride regularly in any places where it was habitually there.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mark1978

Broken glass

Post by Mark1978 »

Thing is it isn't in a specific place. It's everywhere.
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

reohn2 wrote:There's a sure fire way to stop it instantly along with disgarded plastic bottles and cans.
People of a certain age can remember collecting pop bottles and returning them for their refund value,as kid I'd have walked a mile for a pop bottle refund (the good old days eh! :) )
That return refund should be £1 on every bottle,can and food carton,plastic carrier bags should also cost £1 too IMHO :)
Problem solved,countryside clean(er)

Spot on!
I kept the local sweetshop and my dentist in business from empties. Even the local greengrocer would give a few pence for a pile of old newspapers.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
tykeboy2003

Broon Ale Bottles

Post by tykeboy2003 »

There's a sure fire way to stop it instantly along with disgarded plastic bottles and cans.
People of a certain age can remember collecting pop bottles and returning them for their refund value,as kid I'd have walked a mile for a pop bottle refund

When I was a student in Newcastle (74-78) me and a couple of mates went to a party and as it was near the end of term, money was tight so we hung on to our "Broon" bottles for the 5p deposit. We then noticed that the house was strewn with bottles and all being from Yorkshire where we know the value of money we started collecting them. One of the lads had an old mini traveler (estate) so not having drunk much, he ran back to his place and came back with the car. We proceeded to tour round the "toon" in search of parties and even went into the city centre where loads of people were queueing all night outside Virgin Records for Led Zeppelin tickets. By now it had become a game and we ended up with the back of the car completely full of bottles. The unfortunate landlord at the pub we took the bottles to was a bit taken aback but paid up in good grace. I can't remember how much we got but it certainly paid for another 3 or 4 nights out (a pint being about 15p at the time).
Big T

Post by Big T »

Mark1978 wrote:We all know that broken glass is *everywhere* especially on off road cycle routes which seem to be cleaned on a once a decade basis.

Where does all this glass come from? Are there people walking along smashing bottles every 5 metres as they walk?

I think it's more bottles being thrown from cars, especially on routes next to or near rural/trunk roads. I once spent an afternoon sweeping a local cyclepath as it was so bad. A week later it was just as bad as it had been before, so I've never bothered since.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll buy one of those little street cleaning machines and spend my time sweeping the local cycle routes :D .
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Is there a lack of broken glass on roads because the wind from passing vehicles pushes it to the side of the road, or is it because roads are cleaned?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mark1978 wrote:Is there a lack of broken glass on roads because the wind from passing vehicles pushes it to the side of the road, or is it because roads are cleaned?

I think that the tyres brush it to the sides.
On one converted railway track I know there are extensive fields of broken glass under all the road bridges. The children of the villages just love dropping bottles onto the cycle path. We used to carry our bikes for some distance to avoid punctures.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
jezer

Post by jezer »

I have been cycling around rural France for the last few days. I have yet to see any litter, let alone broken glass. It is only a British problem?
Power to the pedals
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

A worrying tendency I've noticed over the past couple of years is that a lot of the patches of broken glass are finely broken into fairly regularly-sized bits and evenly spread across the cycleway. When a bottle is thrown down it rarely breaks so evenly. (not that I've ever done it deliberately!) I had an informal conversation about it with a local police officer friend the other day and initially he said I was paranoid. He had another look at the worst patches and agrees with me that it looks deliberate. I've noticed it in King's Lynn (where I live) and in Harlow, where I visit fairly regularly.

Is it me, or does anyone else out there think this may be more than just 'mindless' vandalism?