Charity shop bargains

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Lawrie9

Charity shop bargains

Post by Lawrie9 »

My latest charity shop bargain was a pure wool Marks and Spencer blazer with brass buttons in virtually new condition which I bought for £3 and the new price is around £60. I have got numerous shirts, books and odd bits of clothing from charity shops. My favourite charity shops are the local animal sanctuary, air ambulance sort of places that have basements and backrooms and are a bit disorganised and are overflowing with stock and are often at very low prices. I donate lots of stuff as well so what is your latest charity shop bargain. The shirt I have got on now is from a charity shop in Devon.
No jam doughnuts stored here overnight
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Charity shop bargains

Post by Mick F »

We were in and out of the charity shops in Plymouth on Friday, we didn't stay long in Oxfam.

Why? Because of the exorbitant prices.
Mrs Mick F saw a dress she fancied, probably £30 new and they wanted a tenner - "I'm not paying £10 for a secondhand dress!" There was a nice raffia shopping bag for £5.95 that you can get brand new for £1 in Primark, and they were selling Diamond Jubilee mugs for £2 that were given away free to all the school children in the area.
Mick F. Cornwall
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

My wife once picked up two as new cycle tops for 50p each. I work just a few doors from a cancer charity shop and pop in once a week, bought Chris Hoy's biography for 50p and a Weird Fish jumper for £4, retail for about £50-£60
'Kernow bys Vyken'
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

That's a bit like mine :D
'Kernow bys Vyken'
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

I bought this book in a charity shop in Middlesbrough about 10 years ago for 50p. Without doubt changed my life! At that time, I'd never ridden more than 10 miles at a time.

Published in 1978 so completely out of date equipment-wise (Hands up who's using a Shimano Crane GS?) but the advice on touring is timeless.

adshead.JPG
Palinurus

Post by Palinurus »

I remember reading that book at school, I guess I was curious having never heard the term bikepacking. Anyway it looked expensive so I didn't take it up but one of my friends liked the picture featuring a racing bike (included to show the difference between it and a tourer) and shortly after started riding with the local club, riding 10s on his Raleigh Arena until his parents stumped up for a good bike (they were really expensive back then).

He didn't stick to it, now he's a professional clown. Really.
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

Palinurus wrote: . . . one of my friends liked the picture featuring a racing bike (included to show the difference between it and a tourer) . . . .

I have that page open right now - it's a good illustration. The tourer is a Jack Taylor and the racer is by Williams of Cheltenham.

Palinurus wrote:He didn't stick to it, now he's a professional clown. Really.

Probably a better living!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I love charity shops! I buy all sorts of things in them. And between charity shops & freecycle, I've hardly ever bought any new clothes for my children. One charity shop where I used to be a regular (near where I used to work) had a big box where they dumped all the kids clothes, and anything in the box was 50p. Kids outgrow stuff so quickly, most of it gets to charity shops with hardly any wear. 8)

I also buy bedding, curtains, smart casual clothes for work, dishes, small appliances and other household goods...
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Flite

Post by Flite »

My best find of this year was in the hospice shop in Hexham, which has a good book section. There was a copy of Arthur Mees "King's England" for Northamptonshire, and when I asked if they had any more, I also got Warwickshire and Buckinghamshire. These are books my Mum borrowed from the library in the early 1950s to plan interesting places for us to go on our bikes. Instilled an enduring interest in history and curiosity about buildings and places.
I fell out of cycling for 35 years but I'm back now, wallowing in nostalgia, and hubby and I are off to Northants with our bikes this week....
Anura

Post by Anura »

I love charity shops and have done for years, even when I was earning a good salary. Recently I bought a pair of Lowe Alpine fleece tights which I had been thinking of buying anyway, for £1.25, were half price. Great stuff. Got a pair of what I think are Ugg boots for £1.00, a bit small but I could wear them around the house.The other day I bought a Grenfell fabric (a little like Ventile) 3/4 jacket. You never know what you'll find.

People complaining about the prices, remember that the charity shop has to pay rates for the shop and these are not reduced in any way. They have to make a considerable amount, particularly in a town centre, before making a profit. Just choose what you buy and only buy things you know have been a higher price, or a better quality item.
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

Charity shops pay RENT, as does any shop, but NOT Rates.
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Deckie wrote:Charity shops pay RENT, as does any shop, but NOT Rates.

Charity shops pay 20% of the standard business rate.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
chambo3413

Post by chambo3413 »

I love vintage clothes and chairty shops are great cheap source , I visit them often when out and about around the shire, especially like the 40-60's stuff though it's getting harder to find, I've had bespoke suits, handmade shoes/boots, lost count of how many shirts Ive had.....always look for the quality stuff and only buy virtually mint, had a few shirts still packed even a couple of Armani from the 80's with 'spearpoint' collar style.
I've too many ties I am told but not enough cravats.

I agree Oxfam is getting ridiculously expensive and rarely go there they now think everything is worth a fortune!
Currently looking for a 36" waist pair of baggy-ish wool or cord plus fours/twos or even just old trousers I/we can alter as I have agreed to a 'tweed run' on the 6th Oct.
information on cycling in and around Chesterfield during the 1930's -1970's wanted
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

chambo3413 wrote:Currently looking for a 36" waist pair of baggy-ish wool or cord plus fours/twos or even just old trousers I/we can alter as I have agreed to a 'tweed run' on the 6th Oct.

Managed to get a mint pair of Tweed breeks plus 2 from ebay last year for £20 pound
Don't know you budget
http://www.savvyrow.co.uk/collections/trousers
I have bought a tweed jacket from them in the past and was well pleased with the result
NUKe