arm warmers - which ones?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
malverncyclist

arm warmers - which ones?

Post by malverncyclist »

Hi all

I want to get some arm warmers for the 'interim' period (what interim???) and had a look on wiggle/ribble/etc. and can't make sense of what to get. Firstly - I could go for goretex stuff but am not sure whether it's worth it?

Secondly - size. I see short/medium/long without any indication of what that means??? Anyone any help for me?

thanks

Martin
rjb

Re: arm warmers - which ones?

Post by rjb »

Lidl - have sets of arm and leg warmers on sale for less than a tenner. Sprint down there and try them on. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

I'm very pleased with some Gore ones (they aren't goretex) they are warm and stay up. Third season of using them and they are wearing well with new club short sleeve jerseys and more versatile than my previous habit of long sleeve jerseys with sleeves getting pulled up as the ride progressed.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lusso Roubaix arm,leg and knee warmers are unbeatable IMO.I've had them for years,my only complaint is that they only do black.
Size? you'll have to try them on :|
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Small = about the size I wear = slim skinny arms / dress size 10 female.

You really do need to go to a shop and try some on, I would not go for goretex.. seems pointless. Use Lusso other kit.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

I ordered a bundle from Wiggle and sent back the ones I didn't want; they have a post-free returns service via local newsagents etc (I assume they're still doing it).

I ended up with both the DHB Pace and Pace Roubaix. The latter are more useful; the former just take the edge off really, although as I found out earlier this year they're very useful to keep the sun off on blazing midsummer days. I settled on medium in one and large in the other, but I forget which. I have very long and quite thin arms; they were all long enough for me in M and L sizes, but unless you go for a windproof fabric they'll all be pretty stretchy.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Just get what fits best. They are only arm wamers. The important thing is tht they stay up.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Most of the ones I tried were too short - the exception being Impsport. They make them in a fleecy backed "Roubaix" material or ordinary lycra. They are ordered direct from Impsport via their website or by telephone.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

As a bit of a caution,don't buy the Lycra ones ditto for legs,they don't streatch as well as Roubaix and for some reason you're arms or legs are cooler than without :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Big T

Post by Big T »

Shop around. I have a number of sets of arm warmers - Decathlon, Pearl izumi, Crane (Aldi) and Biemme. The Crane ones are good for the money, but my favourite ones are the Biemme. They are like the sleeves cut off a cotton/woolly jumper, but with a bit of elasticity added. They are plenty long enough, warm and they stay up.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

+1 for Lusso Roubaix
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Prendas Ciclismo.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... 43&ID=1037

Cheap. Choice of colours. Stay up. Keep your arms warm.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

er, I just use a pair of my wife's old winter weight tights cut off as appropriate. Washed of course. I chose her black ones. They don't run after being cut which is a good thing and they stay 'up' without too much trouble. Otherwise I use a Campag long sheeve black thermal vest with a short sleeve road jersey. The look is the same.
malverncyclist

Post by malverncyclist »

mr riff raff wrote:Prendas Ciclismo.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... 43&ID=1037

Cheap. Choice of colours. Stay up. Keep your arms warm.

ordered a pair of these at £7.95 ... if they don't work I'll try the 'tights' solution :D

thanks for all your advice, as ever very useful.

Martin
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Colin Stanley wrote: Otherwise I use a Campag long sheeve black thermal vest with a short sleeve road jersey. The look is the same.

Not 100% sure the idea is to get the look.
How do you take them off when the sun warms up, as per yesterday? Scissors?
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.