SRAM Apex - Ajustment

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
flat tyre

SRAM Apex - Ajustment

Post by flat tyre »

The front and back shifters are extremely stiff, up and down, does anyone know what adjustment/lube is necessary? Bike is fairly new and has been like it since purchased. It's an internet purchase so taking it back isn't really an option.
jezer

Re: SRAM Apex - Ajustment

Post by jezer »

I have SRAM Red double tap system (I assume same as Apex). I have done over 12,000 km on it and it is still very smooth and light to use. It sounds as though yours has a fault, worth getting checked by lbs if you can't easily return it to seller.
Power to the pedals
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I can understand the "long sweep" (thats changing down at the rear, and up at the front) being stiff if the cables are kinked/un-lubed/badly fitted etc.
I don't understand how the short "tap" can be stiff.....all you are doing is releasing the pawl so the spring in the mech. can make 1 shift.....?
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

It's very stiff going up, ie to the larger chain wheels on both changers front and back, I think there may be a tension adjuster, anyone know?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

flat tyre wrote:It's very stiff going up, ie to the larger chain wheels on both changers front and back, I think there may be a tension adjuster, anyone know?

yes, those are the changes when you are pulling the cable, not releasing a pawl.
It sounds to me like cable friction.
What do you mean by a tension adjuster? The barrel adjuster(s) in the system control the indexing, not the force required to change gear.
guzzimag

Post by guzzimag »

SRAM Apex shifters in operation on my bike are heavier to use than the Shimano 105 on my other. Both are new ish and well setup, the SRAM just takes a fair bit more shove when moving to a bigger cog. You sure you're not just used to a lighter shift? Still like my Apex setup, it's just different. CLONK. CLONK. CLONK. Whereas the shimano is more snick snick snick
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

531colin wrote: It sounds to me like cable friction...

FWIW I agree; the bikes with SRAM on that I have ridden are a little bit heavier than comparable Shimano but not that much. If it is as bad as described then it should be obvious.

Campag have a procedure to allow sticky cables to be tested for; it can be found in their 'quick setup guide' on their website.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~