Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
busaste

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by busaste »

I've been using fine wire wool so far on the aly bits which has been good, some areas seem a bit flat though and I'd like to get them looking really nice. Try a kit from The Polishing Shop. I have one and armed with a drill you can easily get a show winning mirror finish.

Would there be much difference between DA and 600 deraleurs? I assumed they'd be a bit of a muchness. I just liked the styling of the arabesque parts, a bit of style over substance I guess. I've got Arabesque, 600 and DA. Shifting wise, there is nothing in it. The DA beats the other two purely by being a bit lighter and having a slightly better finish. Hubs wise things are a bit different as the cones on DA are VERY high quality being as good as anything ever made (I've upset the Campy fans again...)
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Hi All,

This is on a well known auction site but seller has no idea of make or model.

One or two things make me think it might be Viscount to some extent...

What do folks think?
busaste

Post by busaste »

Sooper8 wrote:Hi All,

This is on a well known auction site but seller has no idea of make or model.

One or two things make me think it might be Viscount to some extent...

What do folks think?

Lugged frame. Repainted too. Cheap components suggest early 1980s. Could be anything.

Unlikely to be a Viscount due to components fitted.
timbertron

Post by timbertron »

Wicked thanks busaste. I will keep an eye on the pair of DA hubs I saw on eBay they should fit fine and then I can get them built up once the frame is sorted. Thanks all for the advice it is much appreciated
DannytheLuddite

Post by DannytheLuddite »

busaste wrote:

After my son bought the Aerospace Pro, he wanted another little Viscount project on the go just for fun...

So, he just picked this up for pocket money and is hoping to restore. (seller's pic, we don't have the bike yet)

I far as I can see, nothing os original except the frame. What model would it have been?

Cheers!

You have a VERY original 1978 Viscount Aerospace Sport :D .

All the parts on it are the original ones (wonder what happened to the wheels?!). The front lamp boss is missing off the forks but that is all. If you look back on this forum to some of my earlier posts you will see that I have the same model in the same colour. If you PM me with your email address I will send you some high res pics so you can see what the full spec is.

It looks a lot like my 1978 Aerospace Sport (see photo on page 5 of this thread). The lamp boss is still there, I can see it! The front mech looks like my Shimano 600, although the photo isn't very clear. The chrome on the forks seems amazingly clean for a bike of that age.
busaste

Post by busaste »

DannytheLuddite wrote:
busaste wrote:

After my son bought the Aerospace Pro, he wanted another little Viscount project on the go just for fun...

So, he just picked this up for pocket money and is hoping to restore. (seller's pic, we don't have the bike yet)

I far as I can see, nothing os original except the frame. What model would it have been?

Cheers!

You have a VERY original 1978 Viscount Aerospace Sport :D .

All the parts on it are the original ones (wonder what happened to the wheels?!). The front lamp boss is missing off the forks but that is all. If you look back on this forum to some of my earlier posts you will see that I have the same model in the same colour. If you PM me with your email address I will send you some high res pics so you can see what the full spec is.

It looks a lot like my 1978 Aerospace Sport (see photo on page 5 of this thread). The lamp boss is still there, I can see it! The front mech looks like my Shimano 600, although the photo isn't very clear. The chrome on the forks seems amazingly clean for a bike of that age.

Defo a 600 FD! 8)
Cliff Wilkins

Post by Cliff Wilkins »

Hi All.
New here 1st post not sure if I am even in the right place so here goes.
I was at my dads today and he is now 83 and used to work for Trusty Viscount in Potters Bar most of his working life I myself worked there at a teenager for about 6 years or so. My dad was head welder of all bike frames from kiddies bikes up to race bikes and the Tracker bike. He taught me to weld after a time at the company and we worked along side each other welding for the 6 years i was there until the bike industry went pear shaped and redundances came along and final close down.
My point being we got talking about his bike he made i think its a Viscount pro 100% genuine and stored indoors all its life and never rode its in a special colour of pale liliac metalic all parts are as the day it was made out the box you might say.
I also have one. Well its been used but left in the shed for years and years but still all in tacked it says on the transfer its a Viscount grand prix and pale blue metalic. alloy parts are a little green but sure they would clean up.
Just wondered if its of interest to anyone thats a fan or owner of the model here.
Might be a bit of a long shot. But his bike looks like it was made yesterday even the original tyres and tubes as said never used just stored in a bedroom for years.
Reply if you find any of this interesting if not i thank you for taking time to read this.
I am sure theres a lot more to discuss with right people.
Cliff.
busaste

Post by busaste »

Cliff Wilkins wrote:Hi All.
I was at my dads today and he is now 83 and used to work for Trusty Viscount in Potters Bar most of his working life I myself worked there at a teenager for about 6 years or so. My dad was head welder of all bike frames from kiddies bikes up to race bikes and the Tracker bike. He taught me to weld after a time at the company and we worked along side each other welding for the 6 years i was there until the bike industry went pear shaped and redundances came along and final close down.
My point being we got talking about his bike he made i think its a Viscount pro 100% genuine and stored indoors all its life and never rode its in a special colour of pale liliac metalic all parts are as the day it was made out the box you might say.
I also have one. Well its been used but left in the shed for years and years but still all in tacked it says on the transfer its a Viscount grand prix and pale blue metalic. alloy parts are a little green but sure they would clean up.
Just wondered if its of interest to anyone thats a fan or owner of the model here.
Might be a bit of a long shot. But his bike looks like it was made yesterday even the original tyres and tubes as said never used just stored in a bedroom for years.
Reply if you find any of this interesting if not i thank you for taking time to read this.
Cliff.

Hi Cliff
I've just sent you a PM.
It would be appreciated if you got in touch!
Cliff Wilkins

Post by Cliff Wilkins »

replied to pm steve.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Cliff Wilkins wrote:Hi All.
Cliff.

Hi Cliff,
I PM'd you too
Cheers
Jem
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Jealous of you guys in the UK. I'm really hoping this turns out to be the unicorn of the Viscount marque: the "Supa Sport" with the black Dura Ace groupset...

b
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Bendo wrote:Jealous of you guys in the UK. I'm really hoping this turns out to be the unicorn of the Viscount marque: the "Supa Sport" with the black Dura Ace groupset...

b

Bendo,

I just checked out your blog/web site....It's great! Love the design of it, the pictures and articles are spot on.

I've got hours of fun reading ahead of me there!

Regards
Jem

ps What did you make it on? It's really good!
busaste

Post by busaste »

Sooper8 wrote:
Bendo wrote:Jealous of you guys in the UK. I'm really hoping this turns out to be the unicorn of the Viscount marque: the "Supa Sport" with the black Dura Ace groupset...

b

Bendo,

I just checked out your blog/web site....It's great! Love the design of it, the pictures and articles are spot on.

I've got hours of fun reading ahead of me there!

Regards
Jem

ps What did you make it on? It's really good!

Not only is it a great blog, you get to see Bendo's MEGA Aerospace Sport which is amazing!
busaste

Post by busaste »

b

Where did those chromed 'Supabikes' go? Not many were made and I have never seen one in the flesh.

Best Viscount ever?
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

My son just picked up this Viscount, it arrived today (his second in the last few weeks - his Aerospace Pro is up on the page before this one)

Here's a quick and dirty snap straight out of the box

He's tidying it up at the moment and looking for wheels etc.

It's in not bad shape too.