Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
triitout

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by triitout »

Any news on what I shall call "The Virgin Viscount" from Cliff will be appreciated. The search for cool Viscounts is like a treasure hunt and this sounds like a great find!

Sooper, about the Viscount shirts, my wife helped me design them on the Zazzle platform primarily for myself so I wanted to let you know that they always run promo/discount codes that make them less expensive. We didn't do it for the money!! I'm also my best customer!!

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/viscountshirts
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Sooper8 wrote:Bendo,

I just checked out your blog/web site....It's great! Love the design of it, the pictures and articles are spot on.

I've got hours of fun reading ahead of me there!

Regards
Jem

ps What did you make it on? It's really good!

Thanks! That means I now have 5 people who have read it. It's just a Blogger template, but I've chosen one of their dynamic views, called "Magazine". It looks good, but it hides the content a little bit.

Just remember to click on all the pics at least once for the largest size!

b
triitout

Post by triitout »

Bendo, make that 6. It's a good read!

M
busaste

Post by busaste »

triitout wrote:Any news on what I shall call "The Virgin Viscount" from Cliff will be appreciated. The search for cool Viscounts is like a treasure hunt and this sounds like a great find!

Sooper, about the Viscount shirts, my wife helped me design them on the Zazzle platform primarily for myself so I wanted to let you know that they always run promo/discount codes that make them less expensive. We didn't do it for the money!! I'm also my best customer!!

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/viscountshirts

I bought a couple - EXCELLENT quality.
busaste

Post by busaste »

Have a look at this bike, Viscount and Lambert fans:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vinta ... /110699437

The frame is made from Phoenix '101' grade tubing. Lambert and Viscount Aerospace frames were built from Phoenix '1027' grade tubing.

'101' is a great frame tubing :D occasionally used by small volume frame makers mostly in the midlands and north east.
Sooper8

Viscount bike

Post by Sooper8 »

My son bought an Aerospace Pro last month - we weren't aware of what it was till we came on this forum.

He's really done it up nice and it looks stunning. He has a couple more tweaks to do and it will be a real beauty! (anyone here have any crank end caps that might have been on it?)
(We have a source for decals thanks to Busaste)

I'd ridden a Viscount in the late 70's so it was a nice link with the past for me and I'm searching for something similar now.

We went out early this morning for a bit of ride around.

Here's a couple of shots

His Viscount Aerospace Pro

My Dawes Shadow

Goldie

Post by Goldie »

busaste wrote:
"Does anyone know where to get decals for this that might have been on the original ? My son is looking to get it as close to original as he can."
Original frame tube stickers are impossible to find. I had a stash but they are all gone now. To get round this problem, about 3 years ago I approached a decal making company called The Image Works to make up various replica Viscount frame stickers. The results are very good! The Image Works have retained the original artwork so they can print off endless sets. Looking at your bike you need:

2 silver/white frame bands (for the seat tube - they would be in the same position as the yellow/black stickers you currently have)
1 big sticker with Viscount on both sides (for the down tube)
2 Viscount 'shield' stickers (note the ones with silver bands around the edge of the shield) - 1 for the seat tube and 1 for the head tube
2 'Aerospace Pro' stickers

The Image Works details are:
The Image Works
Block 4 Merlin Way
Quarry Hill Ind. Est.
Ilkeston
Derbyshire
DE7 4RA
England
Tel : 0115 944 3111
Fax: 0115 944 3222
http://www.the-image-works.co.uk
http://www.bike-stickers.com

Please ask for Graham. I have just spoken to him and he is happy to do them.

Disclaimer here - I have no financial connection with the Image Works!!!!!!!

Steve, do you recall what the Image Works started with when they were making up your Viscount decals? I've just bought one of the early '80's frames, with decals like this Image http://www.flickr.com/photos/30978287@N03/2937334841/ - but they are scratched and will need replacing. I am just wondering whether there's enough of the decals left for a graphics company to make some replicas...
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Well, I've just been to pick up my new Viscount frame, and it belongs to a late Aerospace 600EX. It looked silver in the pictures, but it is actually a rather eye catching metallic lilac. It has the Viscount logo cast into the fork crown and - standing it next to my mid seventies Aerospace Pro - a much steeper head tube angle, straighter fork legas and shorter chain stays. I''ll stick some pictures up once it's had a clean.
busaste

Post by busaste »

[/quote]
Steve, do you recall what the Image Works started with when they were making up your Viscount decals? I've just bought one of the early '80's frames, with decals like this Image http://www.flickr.com/photos/30978287@N03/2937334841/ - but they are scratched and will need replacing. I am just wondering whether there's enough of the decals left for a graphics company to make some replicas...[/quote]

I started with the original stickers which I carefully peeled off the frame. It was a bit fiddly getting them off (the wife's hair drier helped!) and when I had done it, I stuck them onto a piece of card. Graham was able to work from these and do a good job even though they were pretty battered.
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Goldie wrote:Well, I've just been to pick up my new Viscount frame, and it belongs to a late Aerospace 600EX. It looked silver in the pictures, but it is actually a rather eye catching metallic lilac. It has the Viscount logo cast into the fork crown and - standing it next to my mid seventies Aerospace Pro - a much steeper head tube angle, straighter fork legas and shorter chain stays. I''ll stick some pictures up once it's had a clean.

Ooh! Can't wait to see it! b
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Love the whitewalls Sooper8!
WineCaster

Post by WineCaster »

Hello Forum!

I've been lurking about this forum for some time now and have come to this thread with a question:

In my search for a lightweight and cheap road bike frame to convert into a fixed gear, I came upon a Viscount V-3000 GS. I got the bike for $31 and everything seems to be original. Shwimano components. I cannot find ANYTHING on the net about this model, except here in this thread (page 36) mentioning that it's a "rare" model.

I had plans to strip and paint (customize) this bike as to create my own fixed gear.. plus I don't like the light blue color of this Viscount. So I'm wondering if this bike is worth cleaning and selling.. or should I just proceed with my plans?

Thanks!
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Whippet wrote:Love the whitewalls Sooper8!

Thanks but it's a slight illusion with the light- they are more light brown or cappuccino if you're in Italy ;-)
onewheelgood

Post by onewheelgood »

Hi all, another lurker here. I've just accquired a Viscount Sebring Mixte to do up for my daughter, who said she wanted a classic type bike for her 21st. It has Shimano 600 gears with stem mounted levers, SR Apex cranks and stem, Shimano Tourney centrepull brakes and Weinmann levers. Wheels and seatpost are steel. The stickers all say 'Made in England'. I've searched around and I haven't found anything about the ladies Sebring anywhere - so can any of you knowledgeable people tell me anything about this?

Bendo

Post by Bendo »

WineCaster wrote:Hello Forum!

I've been lurking about this forum for some time now and have come to this thread with a question:

In my search for a lightweight and cheap road bike frame to convert into a fixed gear, I came upon a Viscount V-3000 GS. I got the bike for $31 and everything seems to be original. Shwimano components. I cannot find ANYTHING on the net about this model, except here in this thread (page 36) mentioning that it's a "rare" model.

I had plans to strip and paint (customize) this bike as to create my own fixed gear.. plus I don't like the light blue color of this Viscount. So I'm wondering if this bike is worth cleaning and selling.. or should I just proceed with my plans?

Thanks!

Hi winecaster. Great to have a few lurkers piping up. I can't say I know much about your Viscount, but I would suspect that it is one of the Taiwanese-made Viscounts. I would go ahead with customising, even though it looks complete. There's rare because it was made in limited numbers, and there's rare because it was regularly chucked! If the hubs still run well I would consider reusing them (I'm a sucker for HF hubs!).

FWIW

b