Photography while driving

Fasgadh

Photography while driving

Post by Fasgadh »

I am in dispute in another place as to the legality or otherwise of using a camera while driving a car. I maintain, and seriously hope that this is illegal. I do not believe this to be covered by mobile telephone legislation unless the "camera" is a telephone, or otherwise capable of transmitting. Does any one know what offences might be committed when indulging in this rather worrying practice?
simonineaston

Re: Photography while driving

Post by simonineaston »

Wouldn't have thought you'd have to look much further than 'Driving without Due Care & Attention'... AKA 'allowing your standard of driving to fall below that of a prudent motorist'.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Strictly speaking anything that involves not having both hands on the wheel is an offence. From what I remember the phone stuff was added to make it easier to prosecute otherwise you need to prove someone isn't in control.

This is off the top of my head though, so I could be talking rubbish...
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

FFi, see this rather well-written site, aimed at the motorist:
http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/offences/mobile_phone.htm
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
meic

Post by meic »

There was a recent item on the Jeremy Vine show where the Police had collected video evidence of many people filming a crash scene holding phones etc out of their cars while driving on the motorway.

Even with that level of evidence and fully enraged by the indecency of the act, the drivers were only issued with warning letters, not prosecutions or cautions even.
Yma o Hyd
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

kwackers wrote:Strictly speaking anything that involves not having both hands on the wheel is an offence.

If that were true it would be pretty tricky to operate a car.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

stewartpratt wrote:
kwackers wrote:Strictly speaking anything that involves not having both hands on the wheel is an offence.

If that were true it would be pretty tricky to operate a car.

I suspect there are obvious exceptions. :wink:
meic

Post by meic »

To 50% of motorists, "obvious exceptions" includes using a mobile phone.
Yma o Hyd
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I know of no legislation that explicitly prohibits a driver from using a camera that isn't also a mobile comms device. It might be "dangerous", but that's a high hurdle. A lesser hurdle is "careless", or even "cannot have proper control of the vehicle" (RVC&U s104).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Remember the lady prosecuted for eating an apple?
Mick F. Cornwall
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

Mick F wrote:Remember the lady prosecuted for eating an apple?

Or the one sipping water at a traffic light:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/774655.stm
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exactly.
So if eating apples and drinking water are illegal, so is using a camera.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

The highway code says you must keep both hands on the wheel unless changing gear, while the highway code isn't law, it's certainly basis for DWDCAA
meic

Post by meic »

It says the same thing about hands on bars while cycling.

You have to pick the time that you have a drink but is it basically illegal at all times? I doubt it.

Though that could be due to the absence of an offence called CWDCAA.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is the current CPS general guidance on prosecuting what they now describe as "bad driving."

Prosecuting cases of bad driving

We will adopt a proactive approach to seeking further information from the police before a charging decision is made. In all cases, prosecutors should liaise directly with the officer in the case to make sure all available evidence has been obtained and sent to the CPS so that we may fully review the case. If necessary, we will advise the police to follow up other lines of enquiry.

This is the specific bit relevant to this thread:

Mobile phones and handheld devices
The responses to our 2007 public consultation have shown how seriously society views the potential dangers of the use of mobile phones and other hand-held devices, while driving. In cases where the driver was avoidably and dangerously distracted by that use, a charge of dangerous driving will be the starting point for our charging decisions.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/pros ... y.html#_33

Anybody able to quote cases where this didn't happen should bear in mind that the current guidelines were only published some three months ago. There's a lot more to go at where this came from. It also seems to illustrate the importance the CPS attaches to the responses to its consultations.