Changes to Brompton design over the last few years

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Highkicker79

Changes to Brompton design over the last few years

Post by Highkicker79 »

I'm looking to get a Brompton. If I was buying new I'd get the M3L but I was interested in buying a 2nd hand one to save a bit of cash. They really seem to hold their value even for those that are 10+ years old. Does anyone know which significant design changes have been made and what model year? I didn't want to get something from a model year and miss out on a really nice feature had I gone for something 1 model year later.

Many thanks in advance
andyh2

Re: Changes to Brompton design over the last few years

Post by andyh2 »

I'd say the most important change was lengthening frame by 20mm in 2004.
If buying used it's worth deciding at the outset if you want a rear rack, or not, as it's relatively expensive to add a rack to a non-rack bike as the mudguards need changing as well.

Found the list below here;
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... t-10-years

The Brompton timeline

Brompton receives the Queens award for international trade and Queens award for innovation

Andrew Ritchie receives the Prince Phillip designers prize
Brompton Wide Range Hub (BWR) introduced - with a 302% range
Satin finish introduced across the whole range

Rear frame clip introduced

S-type (sports / straight) and P Type handlebars introduced
Superlight upgrade launched - including alloy headset, titanium forks, rear frame, pedal bolt and mudguard stays.

Long wheelbase and improved hinge joints introduced

Brompton 2 sprocket derailleur system introduced

Mark 3 models introduced - better componentry all round

Brompton receives Queens award for export

Brompton goes into full time production

First 30 Brompton bikes produced to order

Brompton Bicycle is registered as a limited company

Andrew Ritchie begins designing a folding bike in his flat, overlooking the Brompton Oratory
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The way the steerer joins the main beam was changed (improved?) at sometime - I guess that's the change referred to as longwheel base i.e. 2004 - if it were me I'd steer way from a pre-2004 model. :P
When buying s/h, make sure you see paper-work that gives good evidence of original ownership, say a receipt that ref.s the frame number - Bromptons are v. popular with tea leaves for just the reason the OP identified - high residual values.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
nez

Post by nez »

What's the advantage of lwb, Simon? I have the earlier model. When I rode my son's post 2004 model it felt a bit different, but I couldn't put my finger on an improvement.
Highkicker79

Post by Highkicker79 »

Thank you all. That's all great advance. The extra length on 2004 or later models is a worthy point as I'm 6' 2". Am I correct in saying that accessories and extra bits can still be purchased for even if they are for earlier model years? Specifically, I was interested in the extended seat post (or telescopic seat post) to accommodate my height. I will definitely request original paperwork that certifies the cycle is not stolen. However, if it is being sold as 3rd hand (which some cycles are), how can I verify the cycle is not stolen. I suppose I could check it against https://www.bikeregister.com/ but can't think of what else I could do. I'd expect most new owners would have purchased the cycle on a debit or credit card and thus unwilling to depart from their receipt when they come to sell it.

If there's any other tips or hints for a buyer of a 2nd hand Brompton then would very much appreciate having it shared. I suspect it may have been covered before so will also do a search.

One other question is about the MK1, MK2 version etc. What is the latest MK version number and what year did that MK version start from?

TIA
Orangey

Post by Orangey »

Brompton have a bit on their website where you can register your bike frame and serial numbers. I don't know if there's any way of searching that information to check the owner. Perhaps you could get the seller to log in and show you their registration.

I guess if the original owner didn't register the bike then there's probably nothing to stop a thief registering it under a fake name so that's not foolproof.

EDIT: Also if the owner did register it they can mark it as sold on the Brompton site - which I guess may allow you to register it in your name.
SJSBrompton

Post by SJSBrompton »

If it is etched and/or listed on BikeRegister (which the Met Police bike markers do) - then there is an option for the owner to 'transfer' the registration over. When you list on Bike Register, you can print off a log book.

I guess a tea leaf would have to be pretty determined or very sly to go to the lengths of making up an account (as it is only via email), so it isn't foolproof, but equally many users of expensive bikes are listed on there, so it is one option.

You can report a serial number/frame number as stolen with Brompton, so it is worth checking their database.

http://www.brompton.co.uk/responsibility/stolen.asp