Fitting a trekking bar

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Edmo

Fitting a trekking bar

Post by Edmo »

I want to fit trekking handlebars, which have a 25.4mm diameter, but the stem on my Genesis MTB is 31mm(?). Anyone know if shims are available> If so, are they safe? Hope someone can advise. Ta
hondated

Re: Fitting a trekking bar

Post by hondated »

meic

Post by meic »

How about a new stem? Not much more money.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=59568
Yma o Hyd
Edmo

Post by Edmo »

Hondated, Meic, not sure why I thought first of the shim, but I suppose that a new stem would be more sensible. I'll get one, then, hopefully the new bars will help keep the hand discomfort at bay. Thanks for your replies.
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

You might need a longer/higher stem, I ordered a BBB BHB-30 MultiBar Trekking Handlebar which they say is best when combined with the BHS-22 adjustable stem.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Agreed. The stock stems on modern mountain bikes are often so short that they would bring the near hand position on butterflies in line with or even behind the steering axis. A new stem to suit the reahc you want for all positions is the best option.
Edmo

Post by Edmo »

Thanks, Malconotus and Erudin. Again, something else (the stem) I hadn't really taken into account. Even with cost of a stem added to the trekking bars, it still works out less than the Ergon grips I bought for a previous bike - and I'll have more space for lights. Thanks again.