Truvativ Touro chainset, any good?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rich100

Truvativ Touro chainset, any good?

Post by rich100 »

Anyone ever used these? Any good?

Trying to decide wheather to put these on my tourer as i got them cheap off ebay (although new prices look quite high). Alternative is an XD2 chainset which I also have available, other considerations are the larger rings on the Truvativ and longer cranks, but tbh I'm only doing short day rides on it so I think either one I'd manage with, just a question of putting whichever is better quality on this bike.
stewartpratt

Re: Truvativ Touro chainset, any good?

Post by stewartpratt »

Since you've already got them, why not try them out and decide whether they're any good?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If it uses an ISIS splined BB sell it as your BB problems start there,unless you're willing spend big bucks on an SKS BB.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC you can get the same thing more or less with a square taper or a splined BB. Rings are ramped and pinned, allegedly.

My top tip for any new crankset is to remove all the chainring bolts, and refit them with a load of copper-ease. Makes all the difference later on...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hemipode

Post by Hemipode »

I used to use one (a triple, square taper) & it was fine ... gear changes were smooth enough.
I got shot of it though as all the rings had too many teeth for me & it was nearly as cheap to get a new chainset rather than buy 3 new rings.
rich100

Post by rich100 »

reohn2 wrote:If it uses an ISIS splined BB sell it as your BB problems start there,unless you're willing spend big bucks on an SKS BB.

It is splined, I've already fitted it with a Truvativ bb. Are splined bb's problematic then?

I'll get some copper-ease, sounds like a good idea.

Just checked again, both are 175 cranks, so just a case of a difference in ring sizes and looks. My current ride has, iirc, 24, 34 and 46 on 170 cranks. the xd2 is 28, 38, 48 and the Truvativ is 30, 42, 52.

I guess the bigger cranks will give me more leverage,but I'm leaning towards using the xd2 as maybe too much of a jump to the truvativ rings, maybe keep them for when I get a bit fitter.

Thanks all
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rich100
ISIS(splined) BB's don't last,unless you pay a lot for them,even then I'm not too convinced :? .

This is an XD2 chainset with Spa's own rings fitted:- http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 0s109p2000 fitted on a Shimano UN55 square taper BB they'll run forever(well almost :) )
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rich100

Post by rich100 »

reohn2 wrote:rich100
ISIS(splined) BB's don't last,unless you pay a lot for them,even then I'm not too convinced :? .

This is an XD2 chainset with Spa's own rings fitted:- http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 0s109p2000 fitted on a Shimano UN55 square taper BB they'll run forever(well almost :) )

Hmm ok, I think I'll probably put the xd2 on and keep the truvativ for a future project instead.

Thanks
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

As above, if they're ISIS then re-route them via eBay :)