Best Cycle Routes - Can You Help?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ben92

Best Cycle Routes - Can You Help?

Post by Ben92 »

Hi all,

I am looking for a bit of help/advice.

My name’s Ben, and I have recently had an idea - to compile a book of some of Britain’s best routes for road cycling, with each ride having been put forward by the cyclists themselves. There are many books and websites out there listing bike routes, but I was looking recently and was after something with a bit more of a personal touch - rides that have been nominated, ridden and recommended by cyclists like myself. I couldn’t find anything that fitted what I was looking for, so I was left wondering if other people were in the same boat as me, and if so, could they assist me in making this idea happen?

I would like to ask for everyone’s advice really - whether you think the book is a good idea or not, and if you would be interested in a book that compiled favourite rides from cyclists all over the country. Ideally I would then end up with a book of cycle routes covering the length and breadth of Britain, full of brilliant rides that had been put forward by the very people who know the roads best.

If anyone is able to give me any feedback on this, or let me know of a route/area that could be included, then please let me know on here or email me on benjaminkdavies@gmail.com.

Many thanks in advance!

Ben
gaz

Re: Best Cycle Routes - Can You Help?

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

My initial thought is that if you can make it happen it will be on-line rather than in print. Don't get me wrong, I'm a dinosaur so far as GPS is concerned and whilst I can work google maps I'd much rather have an OS Landranger in front of me if I'm exploring on the bike.

However I recognise that the on-line world allows for many people to up/download many routes and so long as the relevant website has all the necessary bells and whistles, joe public can add their likes, dislikes, star ratings and comments to each one. Software can then declare the "route of the month/year/county" and constantly update the choice according to public feedback.

Of course just beacause a route is popular it doesn't mean that I'll agree with the choice. :wink:

At the same time the authors can tweak their rides when the council adds a by-pass or roundabout.

I have a 1973 copy of "Explore the Cotswolds by Bicycle", trust me when I say cold hard print simply does not allow for this, although I can add pencil notes in the margins. :lol:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Go online. I'd there is enough response you might be able to spin off a book each year...

Personally all of my routes are mostly useless to anyone who doesn't live at my house ...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Si

Post by Si »

My initial thought is that if you can make it happen it will be on-line rather than in print.

Yes, but one might suggest that CGoaB and others of that ilk have already done it.

If it was a paper book, and thus limited to a fairly small number of routes, it would be difficult to decide exactly which are the ones worthy of inclusion as we all want different things from a tour and we all have different abilities. the on-line route will allow a lot more variety, inclusion of digital mapping and satnav downloads, not to mention blogs and forums.

BTW, if it is a book will contributors earn themselves a cut of the profits?
Big T

Post by Big T »

A twist on this might be "Classic" routes, something akin to the 100 greatest climbs. Where I live (Nottingham) one classic ride is to Skegness. It is said that you are not a "proper" cyclist until you have done this ride. It's about 75 miles and there's a classic main road route and another one using country lanes. London to Brighton could be another. The Dunwich Dynamo route another.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

And what other criteria are there for inclusion? A good pub or cafe on the route? Scenery? A famous hill or a stop known to local cyclists? Camping?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Fasgadh

Post by Fasgadh »

Big T wrote:A twist on this might be "Classic" routes, something akin to the 100 greatest climbs. Where I live (Nottingham) one classic ride is to Skegness. It is said that you are not a "proper" cyclist until you have done this ride. It's about 75 miles and there's a classic main road route and another one using country lanes. London to Brighton could be another. The Dunwich Dynamo route another.

That is interesting - many places must have such a trip. Growing up near Leominster, it was almost a rite of passage to ride to Borth or Aberystwyth and I remember a similar one in Somerset to Lyme Regis and back.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Could also be problems with copyright, authorship and ownership.

Take the classic Isle of Wight Randonnee........ who do you credit.

The Wayfarers for the organisation and promotion
The Council for the maps, planning and signage
The original bloke (or woman) who thought of the route
No-one as it is a public on road route
pau1ine

Post by pau1ine »

Could also be problems with copyright, authorship and ownership.

Take the classic Isle of Wight Randonnee........ who do you credit.

Surely its just like recipes? There's no copyright on a list of ingredients.