Alternative to Galaxy

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ambler

Re: Alternative to Galaxy

Post by Ambler »

I'm the same height as you and 32" (trouser size) inside leg.
I bought my s galaxy at spa and rode both 53 and 58 cm size. The 53 was just too small. The 58 felt just a little large (but only just) so I bought this one and after various adjustments I am happy with the ride.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Country of origin/manufacture is a question on several other none bike related forums I am member of....

I think most people will have some bias one way or another, but my experience is to never judge until you've tried.

I have 2 Japanese made Fender guitar's. Both in every way as good as the US equivalents and significantly cheaper. As for watches, I only buy Seiko.
The Swiss watch companies wouldn't even let them enter the world chronograph championships in the 60's for fear they would be embarrassed. When they were allowed to enter they won.

I've been to Taiwan, and while I've not toured the factories, I'd be happy to bet some money that their tolerances in manufacturing as as good/strict as anywhere. It is a very modern country, bullet trains, great architecture and amazing cities.

But, test things out for yourself and base it on your experience.
Poshgill

Post by Poshgill »

I had a Dawes Super Galaxy for many years and was very happy with it. However the geometry wasn't quite right for me and I used to get a bit of neck ache after about 60 miles.

With the current CTW scheme I decided to get another touring bike. After plenty of research I opted for the Cinelli Gazatta della strada. I have to say I'm very happy with my choice. It is an extremely comfortable ride and seems pretty robust. I've just taken the bike on a week's tour of France and jt held up all. I was concerned about going from a triple to a compact chainset but the gearing was fine and I didn't struggle on even steepish climbs.

I'll miss my Dawes but not as much as I thought I would.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

I picked up a Ridgeback Panorama for £800.00 (brand new) so if you shop around especially around this time of year you may find a heavily discounted Tourer under a grand.
To pick up Sooper8's point, there is a Japanese company called Tokai who made Fender style copy guitars and were so good that Fender licensed them to make Fender guitars in the Far East. Let's face it what's more reliable a Honda or an Austin Metro? :oops:
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

But the question is....are Mexican made Strat's as good as US or Japanese Strat's?
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

After reading georgew's review of the Surly LHT I had a look at their website and liked the look of the 52cm frame for 26" wheels. I ordered a discounted frame and forks and built it up yesterday using a couple of new parts, but mostly spares and old parts I already had.

Have got the bars high up on the uncut fork with 7.5cm of spacers and like the upright position so far, just right for cruising around looking at the scenery.
Attachments
Surly LHT (850 x 638).jpg
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Ontherivet77 wrote:I picked up a Ridgeback Panorama for £800.00 (brand new) so if you shop around especially around this time of year you may find a heavily discounted Tourer under a grand.
To pick up Sooper8's point, there is a Japanese company called Tokai who made Fender style copy guitars and were so good that Fender licensed them to make Fender guitars in the Far East. Let's face it what's more reliable a Honda or an Austin Metro? :oops:

Yep , the Tokai (Strat and Tele) were so good they got in some hot water with Fender and those early models are highly rated
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

CREPELLO wrote:But the question is....are Mexican made Strat's as good as US or Japanese Strat's?

I had a Mexican Tele and never bonded with it. Even in terms of looks and finish, next to US or Japanese they feel a little inferior to me, but then again, you get what you pay for and they are a little cheaper.
But on that note, you may as well buy a Squier made in China - they kick ass and are even cheaper.
baldy754

Post by baldy754 »

After a lot of research i recently purchased a Surly Lht and really pleased with it.
I find it very comfortable to ride, i previously owned a galaxy.

Im 6'6' with 34" inside leg and went for the 60cm frame which is perfect for me.