Ladies jackets

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mr riff raff

Ladies jackets

Post by mr riff raff »

Hi, been looking for a jacket for Mrs Riff Raff. Maybe waterproof, but more windproof, so Windstopper type material.

A straightforward task you may think, but oh no.

She doesn't want a girly girl colour. So no pink trims, or pastel blue affair. But also she doesn't want yellow. And black isn't really practical for winter riding in traffic, IMO.

The Altura's ones are just about acceptable in orange, but has anyone seen anything in any other colours? She really wants green, but I can't find any.

Fussy or what? Why can't she just have a red one? :roll:
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
SJSBrompton

Re: Ladies jackets

Post by SJSBrompton »

Altura do a purple one - I'd thought about getting it as it might look different from the sea of hi vis yellow you see in London during rush hour. I think it might only be in the lightweight Kinetic jacket though. However, it is pretty waterproof, but warm for a relatively thin jacket. I sweat like mad in it but I think that is just me, I run hot. It would layer up well for a cold winter though.
rootes

Post by rootes »

I have a white Endura Helium..

Thye do a womens version in white as well.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-Helium-W ... =Froogle02

I think they show up well and they are waterproof but the material is very lightweight. packs to the size of a cokecan.

Vaude do green
http://www.bobshop.de/en/By-Distributor ... =270878617

Groundeffect do a non pastel blue - their stuff is well made and good value plus only takes 4-5 days to arrive

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-d ... HE-RAI.htm

Not waterproof, but I got my sister one of these:

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-d ... OP-WIN.htm

I have the blokes version - great top.
rootes

Post by rootes »

Gore do:

Purple windstopper vest:

if you don't need arms..
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Have a Gore windstopper that is deep pink ie not usual girlie pink. However they are not waterproof.

Why not a windproof jacket for general winter cycling and then a light weight waterproof 'race cape' to pull on when wet, Decathlon do these in a vast range of colours inc Orange and Green.

It good to see some of the manufacturers are inc other colours this season and we now have Orange in the Altura range a really good for visibility.

Am not necessarily into pink myself but like orange it is far more visible than many other colours, and remember green disappears against trees n hedges.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

eileithyia wrote:Orange in the Altura range a really good for visibility.

Given that 7-10% of males suffer from red-green colourblindness, and that they may see orange as a subdued olive colour, I prefer to wear yellow jacket.
rootes

Post by rootes »

LollyKat wrote:

Given that 7-10% of males suffer from red-green colourblindness, and that they may see orange as a subdued olive colour, I prefer to wear yellow jacket.

On the reason some of the most visible jackets have highlevels of contrast through stripes etc yellow/ black misxtures etc
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

rootes wrote:
LollyKat wrote:

On the reason some of the most visible jackets have highlevels of contrast through stripes etc yellow/ black misxtures etc

RNIB recommend Yellow out of Blue for text projection - best contrast for the most people...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
loafer

Post by loafer »