About toxic armpits

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
danfoto

About toxic armpits

Post by danfoto »

I'm a sweaty person at the best of times, but now I'm back to my windproof or indeed waterproof jackets, it's stinky armpit time again.

Given that mine appear to have got sensitive in my old age and that regular use of a bog-standard aerosol antiperspirant/deodorant now seems to cause mild local dermatitis/eczema, can any kind soul suggest a product which will solve the problem - without causing me to smell like a tart's handbag instead?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
531colin

Re: About toxic armpits

Post by 531colin »

Ditch the windproof?

Why are wind FRONTED jackets so rare?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Afaik, sweat doesn't smell until it begins to decompose. Washing it off should prevent it smelling. Not always possible eg commuters without proper facitities at work.

I've had occasional problems with itchy armpits for at least 50 years. I've always had effective relief from Cuticura medicated talc. I don't know if the product has changed during all that time but it has always worked for me. I bought a new tin a couple of years ago and it's been used once.

I've never used antiperspirants - which close the pores of the skin and cannot therefore be very healthy - and I've rarely used deodorants which are just masking the smell of the decomposing sweat.
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

Ditch the sprays & use a more natural stick deodorant like this one.
A lot of the more popular sprays have artificial scents & other chemicals that react badly with some skins.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Likewise Danfoto, and I find one of the better products is Boots Botanicals stick.

Yes, I know it's all masking natural stuff and so on, but sometimes polite company requires such 'treatment'.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tacascarow wrote:Ditch the sprays & use a more natural stick deodorant like this one.
A lot of the more popular sprays have artificial scents & other chemicals that react badly with some skins.

Yep it does work.
BTW meat eaters stink :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

I never noticed when I stopped having smelly armpits but my wife said it was cured shortly after I started cycling.

It seems that my cure was drink more, sweat more, wash more. Any antiperspirants etc will mess things up.
I am of the "dripping with sweat at the first hill" type.
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

I would think that applications like that Tom's stick would be useful if you have a bacterial infection in the armpits and something like Neem oil if you have a fungal infection both of which are not uncommon.

No need to use them on a daily basis once it is cured.

Dont expect any "cures" overnight.
Yma o Hyd
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

When I lived in Australia I was told that if you shave your armpits you sweat less.... and it works
SJSBrompton

Post by SJSBrompton »

Lush do solid deodorants and also a deodorant powder. Not sure how effective they are, and not cheap, but I do like their stuff generally. It is the only 'perfumed' stuff I can use without setting off a rash (particular favourite being Green shower gel).
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Gosh, thank you. There is hope then ...

BTW, being veggie for the last 20 years or so has made no difference to the mighty whiff.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Lush offend me with their policy of stinking up the streets with their open doors. Or do they pump out the intense stinks like Subway also seem to do? Maybe their products are effective and organic, etc., but there's surely no need to give me headaches in public. And they've just opened a huge new branch in town, ugh.

R2, do fish eaters? ( :oops: ). I've heard dairy abstainers say that dairy eaters do also.
horizon

Post by horizon »

It's been well documented (apparently) that BO was more or less invented by the advertising industry. Any product for under arm use IMV is a pure con, apart from any adverse health effects. It's not that they don't work (I presume they do) but that they aren't necessary except in a situation of marketing-led paranoia. In an age of austerity I would have thought these products would be the first to go. And the sooner that sprays like Brut are banned the better - the collateral damage to innocent bystanders is criminal. Exercise, diet, washing, clean clothes until it, very naturally, goes away.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I tried a new deodorant, instructions said remove top and push up bottom........ couldn't cycle for a week :lol:
'Kernow bys Vyken'
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mrjemm wrote:Lush offend me with their policy of stinking up the streets with their open doors. Or do they pump out the intense stinks like Subway also seem to do? Maybe their products are effective and organic, etc., but there's surely no need to give me headaches in public. And they've just opened a huge new branch in town, ugh.

In the local town(Leigh)here used to be a branch of "Gabbots Farm" (roasted chickens) which I had to hold my nose if I walked past the smell was so offensive :cry:

R2, do fish eaters? ( :oops: ).

Dunno though the question does seem a little fishy though.........

I've heard dairy abstainers say that dairy eaters do also.

I can't say I've noticed,I don't eat much dairy(a little cheese) and prefere rice milk on my muesli.

BTW nothing smells worse than sweaty teenagers,very strong :shock: ,perhaps the homones? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden